iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norway Pine??

Started by Maineloggerkid, October 07, 2008, 05:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

My native 'cousins' were here this Thursday to harvest a calf moose in the field.  I told them to harvest all they want.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

cheyenne

Have you considered Christmas trees. Fast growing, less work & good money as I understand it. I have a friend who grows them & he says his bankers love it because there is no fluxuation in the market it only goes higher......Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Maineloggerkid

Christmas trees suck... lots of work trimming them. I trimmed trees one summer-- one summer only. Thats the other problem , there is a christmas tree farm that is only 10 miles away that has been established for 30 years.

Did you no that you can get a really serious cut from those tree trimming knifes??? ;D
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

cheyenne

Is that like getting knocked on my butt when the log flew out of the splitter today....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Maineloggerkid

JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

SwampDonkey

Christmas trees are not so rosy as some might suggest. And it's a hell of a lot of work. The markets are always in fluctuation. Doesn't matter about price, when you can't sell the volume you have ready. This year is a very bad year for Christmas tree growers. The Maritimes and Quebec are about the only provinces that export Christmas trees. Provinces west of there import most of their trees. I've seen a lot of dreamers here that planted the trees and that was the end of it. Some of them at the time when the government was giving out trees and lending the planters worked up a scheme to get reforestation done for free. The regular silviculture program had a cost. Always some one to figure a way around the system, even when it was only going to cost 10% of the total.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ranger_School09

As per earlier conversations, as long as the site has the capacity I would believe that norway spruce would reach harvestable porportions but not in the pole size in girth. It is a fast growing species as previously mentioned, usally topping out at a metre/year. I know irving has done some plantation experiments with it, the only problem that with it growing so fast it is not as structural sound as a slower growing species such as red or white spruce. It also has a much higher water content, that is associated with its fast growing characteristics.. It all depends on what your goals are for this site. Poplar grows quick but is almost soley limited to pulp although some people find it acceptable for lumber in a none load bearing use. Eastern red pine (pinus resinosa) which is also used considerably for poles is a moderate fast grower on a good site, and with the conditions described your probably looking at a nice loam or sand based soil...Again it all depends no what you want or are looking for, hope this helps

Thank You Sponsors!