iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

is this a good deal?

Started by js2743, January 10, 2009, 07:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

js2743

i have been offered a log package 1860 feet of logs, enough for 32X60 house, squared logs dove tail joints for $8000, this is just for the logs good deal or not?     im thinking it is good deal but thought i would ask here for more opinions.

Raphael

On the surface it sounds like a good deal to me, but their could be any number of factors that make it a bad deal...

What is the condition of the logs?  (are they a bunch of twisted culls)

How long have they been stored and how?  (do they have insect damage or heart rot)

What transporting them will cost and how soon must they be moved?
(where will you store them before use and are you equipped to handle them)

What species are they?
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

js2743

Quote from: Raphael on January 10, 2009, 10:51:53 PM
On the surface it sounds like a good deal to me, but their could be any number of factors that make it a bad deal...

What is the condition of the logs?  (are they a bunch of twisted culls)

How long have they been stored and how?  (do they have insect damage or heart rot)

What transporting them will cost and how soon must they be moved?
(where will you store them before use and are you equipped to handle them)

What species are they?

thanks RAPHAEL thats some good questions, im not sure what species they are yet got to send email back to ask more questions. i do know they are at the mill where the people bought them but not sure how they have been stored but thats something i will ask. they have already paid for them to be delivered to their place and im about 50 miles futher than the original delivery place so i need to ask about that also. i have a barn to store the logs in untill im ready to get started and have FEL on tractor to move them with.   thanks again raphael for the questions and if any one else has any idea for questions please post them i need all help i can get.

shinnlinger

Hi,

Those are good questions...you might want to inspect the joinery and research the company that made the thing too.

Unless your barn is large and unused, you may find it easier and more practical to stack the logs, with the longer pieces on top, stickered, on level bunks outside with a tin "roof" over the top.  Air can keep it dry and the tin keeps the big stuff off for an indefinate period of time....Do NOT put a trap tarp over the pile.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Raider Bill

Are they precut for a spefic log home design? If so are you getting the prints?

My friend bought the same thing a log package for a 1800 sqft cabin. they were precut but he didn't get any plans so he has a lot of waste.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Brad_bb

If you do it, I'm thinking seal the end grain with anchor seal or some other wax based sealant, keep them out of the sun, protect from rain, and have good airflow.   This will allow them to dry more evenly and reduce checking/splitting.  someone has suggested stacking and stickering them too so they dry straighter like with timbers or lumber, so probably not a bad idea.  Definitely get them off the ground and I'd spray a couple times during bug weather to try to mitigate the infestation of beetles/larvae.  This is what I've been learning about storing wood.  Should he debark them right away too?  Larvae tent to be under the bark in the cambium layer.  Stripping bark might dry faster, but help reduce larvae.  Not sure which way to go there.  I debarked some spruce logs for storage- some checking, but not bad, and no larvae tracks on the outside surface.  Keep in mind that if you store them, they might not be green when you go to work them.  Not catastrophic at all, but just to be aware. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

ARKANSAWYER

Hope I am not to late to chime in.  What size are the timbers?  If they are 8x12 it is a good deal.  IF they are 8x8 not so good deal.  If any thing else you may not have enough.

It takes 11 runs to do a 8" timber wall 8' high  and a 32 x 60 has 184 running feet of wall which = 2,024 in ft of timbers.  In 8x12's that 16,192 bdft of timbers and if 8x8's that is 10,728 bdft if timbers.  I could do the walls in 8x8's for around $6,500 and the 8x12's would be around $11,000.

Better make sure of the size and get the plans.
ARKANSAWYER

Brad_bb

He said they are just whole logs.

ARKANSAWYER

Quote from: js2743 on January 10, 2009, 07:23:29 PM
squared logs dove tail joints

It said "squared logs" so I was a thinking like an Appalachian style house.      ???
ARKANSAWYER

Brad_bb

I guess you could interpret it more than one way...  "enough for a 32X60 house, [with] squared logs dove tail joints for $8000,". I read it as it was just the logs, and he had the intention of making a house, and squaring the logs for dove tail joints.  It was that he said it was ENOUGH to do what he wanted. 

js2743

sorry for not getting back sooner, but i have found out they are 8X8 logs, they have been dove tailed for the corners for a 32X60.

but i have yet to know for sure if the plans for the house comes with it. the lady told the wife she had the floor plans, but wasnt sure about the plans for building the house she was gonna have to ask about that.

and all the hardware to fasten them together comes with it also screws, bolts ect..

also the windows or doors have not been cut out that way i could change the floor plans if i wanted to. and there will be no extra charge for delivery to my place.

so what you guys think jump or stay put?

ARKANSAWYER

Well I would put an eye on them but as you state it, it is a fair deal.  Let us khow how it goes and we like photos.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!