iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pillow block bearings

Started by fathead, February 21, 2009, 11:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fathead

in the process of building a20hp 30in. portable bandmill and have been told that i need to use a factory bearing assembly instead of two individual pillow blocks by the way my plans are for 19in. wheels with a two in. shaft

tyb525

Welcome to the forum! I can't help you, but a more knowledgeable member should be along shortly  :D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Fla._Deadheader

Many portable bandmills use pillow blocks.  ??? ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

fathead

thanks for your reply im just learning to use the internet i think it will take me longer to type than to build the bandmill

bck

Quote from: fathead on February 21, 2009, 11:15:26 PM
have been told that i need to use a factory bearing assembly instead of two individual pillow blocks  

The person telling you that trying to sell you a factory bearing assembly ?

Using pillow blocks here with no problems.

Fla._Deadheader

Let me add, a factory bearing ASSEMBLY probably uses OIL for the bearing lube, instead of grease zerks.
   First, it is ridiculed;

fathead

thats good to know the bearing assembly price for a 2in. shaft was awful dear what brand pillow bearing would you suggest the ucp brand was very reasonable .skf has always been reliable but they cost 3 times as much

Fla._Deadheader

Brand names don't mean much, anymore. Try to find out if they are made in China. If so, I would not buy. Quality is not good, and, China has helped create the financial mess of the world, with cheaply made junk.  Just my opinion, here.  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

MaddiesDad

Dodge bearings are pretty nice, also I'm guessing (not familar with bandmills) but does that have to be a self centering bearing?

bandmiller2

FH,how far are you along on your build?For your bearings consider a trailer wheel and stub shaft from northern supply get the one with the four wheel studs,mount it so with nuts you can adjust all ways.The stub shaft is where you mount your taperlock pulley.Now you have tapered roller bearings and shaft all in one.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

FH,most come from China now I have used them without incident.A two inch shaft is enough overkill so you shouldn't have a problem.Many of the old names come from asia now depends on the specs.you demand.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

fathead

thanks for your opinion i think i found a set of 2in. link belt pillow bearing that are usa made and should be quality bearings for under 200 dollars that will save me over half the cost on the factory assembly

Larry

Just a thought...my Kasco has 2" shafts and uses pillow blocks.  First generation bearings had eccentric locking collars which did not work.  Second generation the collar is drilled with a allen set screw...still occasional failures but an improvement.  Third generation is two allen screws and drilled into the shaft which seems to be the fix. 

The problem was as bearing begins to fail or maybe just from hard use the shaft would spin in the bearing making the shaft scrap iron.  The shaft is quite expensive...more than the bearings.

Pictures in me gallery someplace of what happens.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

fishpharmer

I used pillow block bearings from Motion Industries...not sure the brand.  Had a choice of cheap (china) or expensive (USA)  I got the expensive ones.  See them in my gallery.  I don't have alot time on my mill but have had no problems so far.

On the idler side I used a trailer axle stub shaft and hub from Agri-Supply out of North Carolina. 

These folks will help you.  Pay attention to their advice.  I wouldn't have a operating mill without them.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

burlman

my 1st mill I bought 20 years ago had twin pillow blocks. due to the pressure of the blade tension, and rpm speed. they would burn out every month. they finally admitted it was a poor choice of pillowblock...ball  bearings... they were replaced with heavy duty tapered roller bearings. not much trouble after that. watch out not to over grease, causes over heating and premature failure. good luck.

fathead

thanks Burlman, the tapered roller bearing that you used where they in a pillow bearing or some other type of assemble

fathead

Burlman the tapered roller bearings you used where they in a pillow block or some other type of assemble

jpad_mi

I used 1 15/16inch double row tapered roller pillow block bearings on my homebuilt. They are Browning E920 series. I'm running them at roughly 1000rpm with a fairly large overhung load and have had no problems (mine is a hobby mill with limited use, so your mileage may vary). I've been careful not to over-grease them based on the recommendation of the more knowledgeable folks on the Forum. I picked them up relatively cheap on eBay and am hoping I never have to replace them at retail price.

I bought locally available low carbon (1018?) cold rolled bar stock for my shaft. In hind sight I should have held out and bought 1144 Stressproof steel. It has nearly double the tensile and yield strength of standard cold rolled and is a better choice for shafts.

Good luck!
Jeff P. in Michigan

Thank You Sponsors!