iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Cypress Logs, Any suggestions?

Started by fishpharmer, April 09, 2009, 12:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpharmer

I have been given these big cypress logs.

I have alot of questions.  Any input will be greatly appreciated.  I will try to post pics.  The largest is 13 ft long, about 5.5 feet average diameter on the butt end and 3 feet diameter on the small end.  Does anyone want to guess what it weighs?  I don't know but I am guessing a little north of 6000 lbs.  I have a friend with a Lucas who is going to help me mill it.  Although, I would love to get a few cross sections of the big butt end for tabletops.  Not sure the best way to do that either.

The next biggest diameter is 24 on large end of the 14 foot log laying in the same direction of the big one.  Not sure of its weight.

The short log next to it is about 8 foot.

The logs turned side ways from the largest are 21 feet long and 12 feet.

I have a 24 foot gooseneck trailer that has two 7000 lbs axles.  I am wondering if anyone thinks it will safely hold all these logs.  These logs are about 3.5 hours from the house.  My friend doesn't want take the lucas there.  I will mill the smaller logs on my homemade beast.  There is a large trackhoe on site and a tractor front end loader.  I plan to have the trackhoe load the logs.

Any suggestions?  Thanks
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Radar67

The big one will be over 8300 pounds. The second log is 2200 pounds. There is a calculator in the Forums Toolbox on the lower left of the sponsors you can use to check log weights. I don't think you will be able to haul them all in one load...safely anyway.  ;)

To cut the cookies, you need a bar at least 33 inches long on your saw. Once cut, you can make a jig for your router to level and smooth the surfaces. It's slow, but it works.  ;)

Might make a good gathering....

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

fishpharmer

Wow, thanks.  Should of looked at the tool box.  :P

In light of that info, I think, I best make two trips. 

I think the wood is worth it? 

It does sound like a good reason to gather ;D 8)

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Chico

I'd bust in up in pcs I could handle and saw saw saw Cut all the wings off maybe slab out the worst side then let her rip they look pretty sound
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Ianab

The Lucas is the machine to handle that sort of log.

When you set up, block up the small end of the log so you get the pith close to level. I know the Lucas can be adjusted for taper, but milling up and down hill is hard work.

The other trick is to cut a big table slab the full length and width of the log. Just cut down 2/3 of the way through the log, then flip over the D, level it up again and start sawing from the other side.

You end up with something like this.

Cypress is stable (and durable) enough to make big table tops like that practical.

Those look like some nice logs, especially that big one. You are going to get some short boards due to all the taper, but cut them as wide as possible and you still get some usefull stuff.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ellmoe

Those look like old logs. If they are they could have lost a considerable amount of weight while laying around. If your planning on cutting "clock cuts" off the end of the big one, I'd recommend doing it with a bit of an angle, not perfectly perpendicular. This will reduce splitting and makes for a more interesting piece, at least to me.
    Sawing dry cypress is different from green. It will be harder and the blades will heat up much quicker. I try to keep the water to it when sawing.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

metalspinner

You may be able to level up your "cookies" with the Lucas.  If you can level up the bunks with the rails of the saw, you should get some nice, even thickness pieces by cutting the top, then flip it to level up the bottom.

I like Ianab's suggestion on large slabs from the middle of the log.  Does your friend have the slabber attachment for his saw?  If so, I would slab the entire big log.  Those big ones don't come around too often.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

fishpharmer

No, friend doesn't have a slabber for the Lucas.

But Metalspinner you got me thinking about cutting cookies off the big end of the big log until I get it down to the 48 inch size.  Then slab the rest of it with my 48 inch cut band saw?  I never cut that big before.  I suppose I could take a smaller log of a common species and cut it 48" long.  Then clamp it sideways and see how my saw cuts.  I will definetely start with a new blades.

Maybe forget the Lucas altogether.  It would be very cool to get a bunch of slabs.  Cept, it would be good to level the cookies.

How thick should slabs be?

How thick should the cookies be?  So for some reason I was thinking 3-4 inches, at least but not sure.  Any recomendations? 

Also, is there any way to strengthen the finished cookies?  Epoxy coating or or putting angle iron on the backside?

This is all new to me.  Great stuff, keep it coming and thanks.

wi woodcutter

Those are some BIG logs!
I cut down a big oak this winter it was 49" at the stump I wanted to cut some cookies for a table too. I have never done it before so fishpharmer if you do it let me know how it works. When you go to load those big heavy logs be sure to be careful! If one of those logs falls on you it will not be good.

Let us know the results! :)
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

fishpharmer

Thanks, I hope someone can tell us how thick to cut the cookies.  Seems like I saw some in FL that were 3-4 "

The big log looks like a great excuse for a MS460 ;D

I will try to be careful, don't plan on getting under or in the roll path of any of those.

I am thinking that I can nail some wedges or square posts onto the wood deck of the trailer.  Then chain and bind it down.

Any other ideas?

wi woodcutter

Come mon' Fishpharmer! You don't need a excuse to buy a ms460! :) :) :)

Does your trailer have any pockets on the side that you could put some 2x4's in as extra safety?

fishpharmer

i know I don't need an excuse but my wife will :D

Good idea, it does have pockets for uprights.

beenthere

If it starts rollin, 2x4's in pockets won't stop it. Will take the trailer and all with it.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Meadows Miller

Gday

Fish why didnt you tell me mate  ;) :D ;D they are some nice looking logs :o  :)  ;) :D :D  im getting a slabber for my lucas soon  ;D do you  think they would let me take the mill on the plane as carry on luggage Mate  ??? :P  :P  its light enough ;) :D :D :D :D ;D  8) Im still waiting on 100000 bft of cyperess logs at the moment but im not holding my breath as ive been waiting over 4 months for them now  :o :) :( ::) ::) on the up side ive got plenty off work in radiata pine and custom sawing to do up at Marysville and Kinglake from the fires at the moment  ;) ;D  so ill keep plowing on reguardless as i allways do Mate  ;)  ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

CLL

Fish, I had steel uprights made to go in my trailer pockets, cost about $100. Tried the 2x4's in them worked ok on cedar that didn't roll well, but when I loaded some 16" white oak, they hit the floor rolling and went right off the other side. :o
Too much work-not enough pay.

Fla._Deadheader

Cut the big end off the big log, at the required width to get it where the Band Mill will cut the table slabs. Cut those 3" thick. LEAVE the natural edge on those. They can be trimmed later, if needed.

If you HAVE to, find a tree service. They should have a LONG bar chainsaw, to cut big stump cuts. A long bar will cut that cypress, and so will one that reaches just over ½ way through.  Cut that butt cut, that's left from cutting the long piece for the mill, into 4" thick cookies.  Get a few ratchet straps and wrap around those cookies to help hold "SOME" of the drying stresses. Might even need pieces of rope to reach around them, to hook the straps into ???  Looks like there MAY be some drying took place, already.

Cypress seems to dry a little quicker than hardwood logs. At least, we felt that sunken logs dried quicker.

Some Cypress dries pretty "Fuzzy", when cut cross ways. We found it to be true with the sinkers, so, might be the difference between Bald Cypress and whatever type we mostly pulled.

Do you have a chainsaw ???  Buy another bar. You CAN even weld 2 together. Get a longer chain  ::) ::)

I knew 2 Brothers in Arkansas, that welded 3 together, to cut a BIG tree.  Just takes longer with a smaller engine.  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

fishpharmer

FDH,  I have a pond and since I am getting the logs for free.  I think they can be part of my new retirement plan. I will sink them in the pond for twenty years or so and maybe by then the sinkers will be worth $50,000 each.  What do you think?
:D :D 8)

Really, I was kidding about the sinkers.

Thanks, good advice.  I have decided to go your route.

I found out the logs had been sitting there for a year at least.

Should I cut the whole butt end off at one time and then cut individual cookies?   Or slice the cookies off one at a time, working toward the 48 inch mark?

I like the Idea of a rachet strap around the perimeter of cookies. 

I have a Stihl MS 361.  But I think I can get one of my tree service buddies to cut them.

Fla._Deadheader

Depends on where you have to cut the logs, your place or the other guys ???  It would be easier to cut into 2 chunks, but, more difficult to get all the cross cuts, maybe ???

I always prefer easier  ::) ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

metalspinner

For slab table tops that large, 3"-4" tops work out fine.  Here is a pic of a table made with 3" thick slabs. It is 12' long  and each slab is 32" on the small end.  This is white oak.  If those slabs were 4", I don't think I could have budged them to work with them. Cypress would be a lot lighter.

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Fla._Deadheader

Sometimes, I wish that our clients that drooled over the pieces they bought from us, would have e-mailed me photos that they PROMISED, they would send.  ::) ??? ???

Photos in my Gallery, show pieces 36" wide X 11-12' long. All were cut at 3¼" thick.

Some Cypress is heavier than others  ::) ::) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

LeeB

Yessir, that be true enough Harold. 36" cypress is much heavyer than the 16" kind.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Banjo picker

Quote from: CLL on April 10, 2009, 03:09:14 PM
Fish, I had steel uprights made to go in my trailer pockets, cost about $100. Tried the 2x4's in them worked ok on cedar that didn't roll well, but when I loaded some 16" white oak, they hit the floor rolling and went right off the other side. :o

Cut those 2x4 s out of green white oak.  I have had some bend a little but never broke one yet.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

wi woodcutter

Fishpharmer have you got the logs back home yet?

fishpharmer

Thanks for asking, I got four out of five back to the mill. No cutting yet.  Just the smaller logs. They were a good load on the 24 foot gooseneck.

Now I have to wait for the rain to quit so I can get the big one with a trackhoe.

Thank You Sponsors!