iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain for Poulan 222?

Started by John Mc, April 19, 2009, 01:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

My father-in-law was given a brand new Poulan 222 (38cc, 16" bar). Never even been started. Not what he would have bought if he were out looking for a saw, but hey, the price is right, and he's already got a Stihl 440 for bigger jobs.

We're wondering if this Poulan is worth keeping around for limbing and lighter-duty work. It came with Oregon 91VG chain - the low-kickback chain with the extra bumper links. He's running with this chain for now, but I'm wondering if a switch to 91VX would be a better choice. One concern I have with this is that all of the bumper links on his existing chain make it something like a skip-tooth chain. Does this saw have the power to spin a 91VX chain, full comp, or will that be loading it down too much?

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

chucker

its a great little saw for what it is ! i bought one for my oldest son when he was 12 and cut 10 cords a year for our elder neighbor . the saw lasted for 6 years fo cutting small diameter (2 to 8" ) pine ,aspen and red oak used a 24:1 oil mix (1 quart to 6 gallons ).. i would say stay with the factory chain ??
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Al_Smith

That saw will pull whatever type lo pro chain you want to use on it ,safety or non safety ,doesn't matter .

John Mc

OK... next question:  The cap on the saw calls for 40:1 mix. He has other saws and tools that all use 50:1. Is it really necessary to run a 40:1 mix, or is 50:1 OK (he uses brand name mix oil - Husky or Stihl, but not high-end the synthetic stuff).

What about using mix oil that he uses in small outboard engines for boats. I recommended staying away from this (water-cooled vs air-cooled engines may make different demands on the oil). Is that being overly cautious?

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

chucker

just about anytime you use a leaner mix theres going to be trouble down the road !! i myself use at least a 32:1 ratio and prefer the 24:1 !! it will smoke easier and foul a plug ,but to my experiance its better to have a plug go from a heavier mix then a new piston or jug... some of my saws are 20 years old and still going ,like the jons 625 re ringed it once since 1987......... oil has been quaker state and valvoline "BIA/TCW certified"
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Rocky_J

Yeah, keep a different can of gas with a different brand and ratio of oil for every saw you own.  ::)  After all, one set of crankshaft bearings and piston rings are soooooo much different from the next that each individual saw is individually tested to determine the exact optimum oil ratio.

It has nothing to do with the fact that Poulans are sold at box stores and marketed mostly to people with zero saw experience or knowledge, therefore causing the manufacturer to perhaps recommend a slightly heavier oil mix in order to help reduce the number of idiot warranty claims from people who cannot count or measure.

[/sarcasm]

chucker

"Sarcasam" = profound inability to deal with true knowledge or real experience of the task at hand!   ;D  8)  eh

Rocky_J

Whatever you say, chuckster.  8)

Al_Smith

That saw will do just fine on about standard mix ratio providing you use good quality mix oil .

I use 32 to 1 and have for years but that is nothing but a personal preference of my own . I know many folks that get good service using 40 or 50 to 1 and have no problems at all .

Let me emphasise though ,use quality mix oil ,none of that 30WT motor oil for mix now .That went out 40 years ago .--And yes before you ask ,I was there . :D

Thank You Sponsors!