iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cold Fusion isn't dead yet.

Started by SwampDonkey, April 19, 2009, 08:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Cold fusion was first announced on March 23, 1989 when Fleischmann and Pons reported producing nuclear fusion in a tabletop experiment involving electrolysis of heavy water on a palladium (Pd) electrode. They reported anomalous heat production ("excess heat") of a magnitude they asserted would defy explanation except in terms of nuclear processes.

Well, it seems the US government has been continuing the experiments since 1989 and are also reporting "anomalous heat production".

In February 2002, the U.S. Navy revealed that its researchers had been quietly studying cold fusion continually since 1989. Researchers at their Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center in San Diego, California released a two-volume report, entitled "Thermal and nuclear aspects of the Pd/D2O system," with a plea for proper funding.

On 22–25 March 2009, the American Chemical Society held a four-day symposium on "New Energy Technology", in conjunction with the 20th anniversary of the announcement of cold fusion. At the conference, researchers with the U.S. Navy's Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center (SPAWAR) reported detection of energetic neutrons in a palladium-deuterium co-deposition cell using CR-39, a result previously published in Die Naturwissenschaften. Neutrons are indicative of nuclear reactions.

Much of this information was pulled from Wikipedia, but much of it was also reported on 60 Minutes this week. Too bad it's got nothing to do with wood.  ::) :P

So maybe, you just never know. Beam me up Scottie. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SPIKER

I managed to watch some of that 60 min show on the cold fusion, I remember this coming out way back when and reading all about it.   they had the guy who orriginally published the paper on cold fusion and all his work over it and he was basically laughed out of science back then, he was on 60 min and was all choked up during the interview.   Was pretty nice thing to have him still alive and able to know what was going on with the new experiments.  :)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

moonhill

Cold Fusion, bah humbug, it will never work, it's to close to perpetual motion, nice try stupid scientist,  why don't you move to France or somewhere else, free energy, can't happen.  That is the way it happened, it was disproved and the scientist belittled.  Now there may be some need for it and they are pulling it out from the dark cellar, where all the ugly monsters are kept, only to find this ugly monster is not so ugly after all.  How many other ugly monsters are still in the cellar?

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

crtreedude

I hate to say it, but sometimes there is nothing more closed minded than a scientist defending his point of view.  :(
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Ianab

Exactly - cold fusion and perpetual motion have a subtle difference.

One converts material from a known source, into another state, and releases energy. Hydrogen into Helium. HOT fusion works well, take the Sun and the H-Bomb. Pretty effective, but not perpetual motion. H-Bombs last for about .01 of a second. The sun lasts for a few billion years as it has a bit more hydrogen to use up.

But it does get used up.

Now I'm a bit sceptical about cold fusion, but only because the only fusion reactions I have seen are large hot ones ( sun, stars etc)

Doesnt mean cold fusion is impossible.. just unlikely.

Not that the idea of pouring a cup of distilled water onto the tank of the Toyota, and driving for 100 years doesn't appeal. I just dont see it happenig in our lifetimes.  :(

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Gary_C

Quote from: crtreedude on April 24, 2009, 07:22:26 AM
I hate to say it, but sometimes there is nothing more closed minded than a scientist defending his point of view.  :(

Only thing worse is a scientist defending his funders point of view.   :(
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

moonhill

It sounds like you fellow are a bit scared of the monster in the cellar.  With things getting more efficient and technology quickening we will see more stuff in our lifetimes than our parent dreamed.   This may not be a good thing, the double edged sword.  With the advancement of free energies and the power of greed that makes for a disturbance.  We are even seeing some of this result now in our money based economy.  What is truly driving the mess we are in now?  Greed. 

Tim

beenthere

I guess it is "greed" if someone else does it and makes money doing it.

But not "greed" if we do something and make good money doing it. 

:) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Fla._Deadheader

I think "control" is a better word. Control over greed. The "Free energy" will be controlled.

I just learned the other day, down here, a guy named Figueroa, might have been President one time, had a law or whatever it's called down here, that only certain people could make electricity, by using water flow or wind generators.

I'm thinking that is to SELL. I plan on doing what I want, and they can KMA. I don't NEED commercial power. My vehicles will be alt. energy, and so will my house and shop.

People around the world better start getting their heads out of their butts, and do some research and development, or, all y'all will be servants of the serfdom.

Out of the box research on the British Empire should scare the hell out of everyone.  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

moonhill

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on April 25, 2009, 01:44:50 PM

Out of the box research on the British Empire should scare the hell out of everyone.  ::) ::)

Please tell, what have you come up with. 

Tim

GaryinMississippi

Quote from: Ianab on April 24, 2009, 08:15:53 AM

Not that the idea of pouring a cup of distilled water onto the tank of the Toyota, and driving for 100 years doesn't appeal. I just dont see it happenig in our lifetimes.  :(

Ian

Well, of course not!  The tank of a Toyota would never hold up to cold fusion--You need at least a Hummer! ;D

Thank You Sponsors!