iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why adjust bar oil?

Started by Hawkshoe, May 03, 2009, 12:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkshoe

OK Gurus,  I just got my first Stihl saw 8) and it is also the first saw I have had that has an adjustable oiler.  My question is this, Why would you NOT want the maximum amount of oil on that bar?
Matt
Made by the Maker
Bought by the Buyer
Broken by the Breaker

Dave Shepard

It gets messy, and around here, Stihl bar oil is at least $16 a gallon. Stihls are reportedly cheap on oil, so you may want to turn it up anyway, but different bar lengths will want different amounts of oil, so I've been informed.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Rocky_J

Unless it's a MS200T, turn it all the way up because it won't oil enough anyway. The 200T is the only Stihl I've ever run that put out too much oil. The excess will catch sawdust and create globs of crud in the clutch cover.

chucker

? stihl bar oil ? does that some how affect the warrenty ? just dont run the saw out of bar oil and stihl  have more then enough stihl gass left over or you might be buying a new stihl bar and chain!
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Maineloggerkid

$16 a gallon for Stihl oil!?!?!? Up here it is only like $9, and the poulan stuff at Walmart is $5.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

Dave Shepard

Husky oil is around $13, but I hate it, way too gooey. I've not been in a Wal-mart in years, and I plan to keep it that way. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

chucker

when ever i find it to thick i cut it with fuel oil or tranny fluid (used), summer blend is usually cheaper then winter blend so i get it when its at the right price....
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

GASoline71

Quote from: Rocky_J on May 03, 2009, 02:46:36 PM
Unless it's a MS200T, turn it all the way up because it won't oil enough anyway. The 200T is the only Stihl I've ever run that put out too much oil. The excess will catch sawdust and create globs of crud in the clutch cover.

That's a fact Brian... not much more I can add...

...except lets not turn this thread into a "bar oil price b1tchfest"...  :D

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

chucker

? hey ! gas ,have you ever done any tradeing with casade or now what is woods logging supply in longview ,wash .  thats where i first started out again after my time in the military .. good to see a few from the wet side !!

Rocky_J

Chucker, I can answer that one for Gary. An absolute definite YES on that. Gary has even helped expedite a few purchases on my behalf from Wood's Logging. Good people up there and only about 20 miles from Gary if I'm not mistaken.

Al_Smith

Stihl saws with the exception of the 200T are notorious for  stingy oilers .Stihl affectionatos defend the almighty company with the way they work but users generally do not .

They use the excuse that the way their specific bars and chains are designed that they require less oil but my contention is they also are interested in selling bars and chains at escalated prices .

thecfarm

Mainelogger,if walmart still has it for $5 you better buy it.I have probably 30 gallons of it.I bought 2-3 every time I went in.Other places were selling oil for 7 or $8. Went in once and it was 7 or $8.I knew it wouldn't last at that price.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Maineloggerkid

Maybe it has been jumped up, it has been a while since I bought that kind.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

Hawkshoe

Good info, Thanx!  If I might plug here, TSC bar oil is about 8 bucks now.  Couple years ago we sold it  2 fer $5, guess em days are gone!  Never had any trbl with this stuff.
Made by the Maker
Bought by the Buyer
Broken by the Breaker

Al_Smith

Quote from: Hawkshoe on May 04, 2009, 09:50:17 PM
Good info, Thanx!  If I might plug here, TSC bar oil is about 8 bucks now.  Couple years ago we sold it  2 fer $5, guess em days are gone!  Never had any trbl with this stuff.
I've ran TSC oil for years .The 2 for 5 was many years ago .Fact is about two years ago Stihl oil was the same price as TSC or at least so in this area .Then to add insult to injury they sold Husqvarna branded oil at 13 bucks a pop . Not to me they won't ,humbug .

Kind of seems funny ,the price of gasoline came down but oil products have not .

Heywood

I guess I'm as cheap as they come but for years, I made do with used diesel motor oil in at least three saws and only once, replaced a bar, (bent) and never had trouble with feed to the bars.  I did that not because of price, but because I liked to see it splat the dark oil on the wood I was cutting and somehow I liked visual confirmation that oil was getting to the chain and bar.  Since my last two saw purchases, I went hi class and started buying TSC.  I don't get to see it splatter on the wood, but still never have bar or oil trouble.  (I've since been told that in Canada, the bar oil comes colored so you can see it while cutting?)
BTW, I see two references to Walmart.  I wouldn't go into a Walmart if they were selling ten dollar bar oil with a twenty dollar rebate.  Reason?  Check them out on google for "Walmart litigation".  We've had personal experience with them along that line.

Sprucegum

(I've since been told that in Canada, the bar oil comes colored so you can see it while cutting?)

Yep, it's the same color as fresh blood on the snow  ???

Al_Smith

I've heard they did a study on bar lubricants and surprisingly used crankcase oil faired pretty well .
I would not use it myself but whatever anybody runs in their saws is their business .

I save my oil in 55 gallon drums and give it to two friends who have commercial waste oil burners to heat their shops .Used oil does real well for that purpose .

John Mc

Anyone have a good source for veggie-based bar oil? Most of what I have seen is based on canola oil.

I have a couple of properties where I cut that require it. It's pretty expensive from local sources.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

chucker

? ARE YOU SERIOUS?  :o  this is the first time i have ever heard of veggie based bar oil!! or anyone requiring it to be used ? must be a danged tree hugger...... not doubting you , just never heard of a thing....but then again nothing suprises me anymore!!!

John Mc

Quote from: chucker on May 05, 2009, 11:11:21 PM
  ? ARE YOU SERIOUS?  :o  this is the first time i have ever heard of veggie based bar oil!! or anyone requiring it to be used ? must be a danged tree hugger...... not doubting you , just never heard of a thing....but then again nothing suprises me anymore!!!

I won't say it's a common requirement around here, but it's not unheard of... especially when working in an area where they are concerned about contaminating a watershed (I believe the forest surrounding the Quabbin reservoir in Massachusetts requires it.) It doesn't take much petroleum to mess up an awful lot of drinking water.

From what I've heard and read, some of the veggie-based oils actually offer superior lubrication to the petroleum based stuff.

Since I have to use it in some places, I run it in all my saws, all the time now.

When my son was about a year old, he managed to get into my first jug of the stuff. I found him siting in a puddle of it, splashing around. He had it smeared all over his face, and had obviously been putting his oil covered hands in his mouth. In a panic, I called the number on the jug to find out poison control info. Their answer? "No big deal. It's the same as if he'd gotten into your cooking oil. It's not certified as food grade, but it's not going to hurt him." It was quite a job cleaning him up before my wife got home...

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

chucker

lol thats good news!!  and probably not all that bad either... just different..........

GASoline71

Quote from: chucker on May 03, 2009, 06:51:36 PM
 ? hey ! gas ,have you ever done any tradeing with casade or now what is woods logging supply in longview ,wash .  thats where i first started out again after my time in the military .. good to see a few from the wet side !!

Quote from: Rocky_J on May 03, 2009, 08:06:16 PM
Chucker, I can answer that one for Gary. An absolute definite YES on that. Gary has even helped expedite a few purchases on my behalf from Wood's Logging. Good people up there and only about 20 miles from Gary if I'm not mistaken.

I am 25 miles from the Sedro Woolley shop... I have only been to the Longview shop once or twice to buy cable.  Either way... Brian is right, the Wood's guys are the best dang shop on the planet to deal with.  :)

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

chucker

that they are ! always going to the next mile for their customers..........

Thank You Sponsors!