iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 066

Started by nas, May 08, 2009, 09:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nas

A friend of mine wants to sell me his 066.  As far as I know he bought it new and used it logging for a year and has not used it since.  What should I look for on it, and is there anything I should do besides putting fresh mix in it before starting it.  He is going to let me try it out.  Assuming it is in good shape, what is it worth?

Thanks
Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

mike_van

Nick, I've been following them [066's] on ebay for awhile. Nice clean magnums will sometimes bring 800.00.   Standards are a few hundred less. The more beat they look, the price goes down accordingly.  I don't think I've seen one go less than 500.00 though.  It would be nice if you could try it out for more than a few minutes, like half a day? 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

rebocardo

Running, about $500. More if it comes with a bar bigger then 24".

Stihl_Sam

G'day Nas

if you know that the saw has been in good hands and has been looked after then buy it. things to look for when buying a second hand saw obviously the exterior covers, anti vibe points, Internals like chain sprocket, clutch and chainbrake devices etc and oil pump for a second hand good running 66 $800 to say $1100 depends on how much you want to spend   

GASoline71

Saws around here used for loggin' get the snot beat out of them... most guys take good care of their stuff... but are still hard on their saws.  After a year and a half of PNW loggin' a saw would need prolly need a new topend.

If its an 066 and not an MS660... then it has been sittin' for quite some time. if used for a year and a half and then set.  It will prolly need a carb rebuild and check the rubber AV mounts and stuff...

I wouldn't pay more than $400 bucks for a used 066 loggers saw... but... loggin' here is different than loggin' in other areas.

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

nas

Thanks Guys
I will get to use the saw for a few days so I hope to get a good idea of the condition it is in.  I want to give him a reasonable offer, but don't want to spend my $ on a piece of junk.  Will try to keep y'all posted.
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Al_Smith

I don't think a little sticker that says magum makes them any better of a saw .

In my garage ,as I type sits a brand new shiny MS 660 ,magnum no less ..Nice saw but it won't carry a candle to the older 066 it replaced .

ErikC

Quote from: GASoline71 on May 09, 2009, 10:07:07 AM
Saws around here used for loggin' get the snot beat out of them... most guys take good care of their stuff... but are still hard on their saws.  After a year and a half of PNW loggin' a saw would need prolly need a new topend.

If its an 066 and not an MS660... then it has been sittin' for quite some time. if used for a year and a half and then set.  It will prolly need a carb rebuild and check the rubber AV mounts and stuff...

I wouldn't pay more than $400 bucks for a used 066 loggers saw... but... loggin' here is different than loggin' in other areas.

Gary

There's an old guy who I know around here that logged all his life. His daughter told me she remembers at the beginning of a season things were a little tight, but dad always had to buy new boots or a new saw, every other year. He took care of his stuff, but thats about how long they last in really hard use on rugged ground. Saws are better than they used to be, but all the loggers around here who cut a lot still get a couple of years out of a saw, then time for another. Something to keep in mind.
  I like to buy used saws from older guys or weekend cutters who got one that is too heavy or hard to start. That's a low hour saw usually. ;)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Al_Smith

As a general rule you won't find an 066 from an occasional user or firewood cutter.

These are high priced ,souped up professional saws that sell for a tad over a grand a pop .Darn good saws ,in fact they have really set the standard by which most saws are rated to .

metalspinner

I got a deal on an 066 last year from a local tree service guy for $200 - no bar.  Looks like I got a good deal.  It's pretty old, but runs good and I've had no troubles.  It only gets pulled out for brief cuts through large logs, though. I keep a 36" bar on it.

Can the date of manufacture be found using the serial numbers on the saw?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

ErikC

Bigger saws are pretty common around here even in in the occasional user market. 440, 460 and once in a while a 660. I have bought an 044 and an 066 this way, and they were as new for about 2/3 the price. Even firewood cutting sometimes means big trees here, although these are probably more saw is needed in most respects.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

timber tramp

>>Can the date of manufacture be found using the serial numbers on the saw?

Try stihlusa .com, I've had good luck getting info on my saws from them. Not sure but I'd think other manufacturers would offer a similar service.               :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

Thank You Sponsors!