iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diesel

Started by stumpy, May 18, 2009, 09:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

I have a LT30 with a 25hp Kohler gas.  I'm toying with the idea of swapping with a diesel.  Does anyone have any thoughts on brand, size or compatibility?
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Polly

i dont have any knolege about the diesel swap but i keep wondering about the weight of some of these big engines that are being used they look awful heavy hanging up their the way they are mounted

pineywoods

Stumpy, I seriously looked at going diesel when the 18 hp briggs on my old manual LT40 finally got too tired. I finally went with a 25 hp liquid cooled kawasaki gas. Here's why----
in simple terms ---weight. The kaw weighs within a pound or two of the old briggs. Any diesel I could find added at least 150 to 200 pounds extra weight. Look at any woodmizer with a diesel engine and you will see lots of things different from yours. Stouter motor mount, bigger head lift chain, bigger lift gear box, waaaay larger head up-down motor, different head support bearings, 3 groove main drive pulley,the list just goes on. The stuff you'd have to upgrade just to get a reliable, workable package is just too much in my opinion. The only diesel engine I found that came even close is a 3 cylinder 35 hp made by dihatsu, sold by briggs and stratton, and used in the cub cadet and john deere lawn tractors.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Piston

Ladylake posted this about his diesel swap.. over on my thread about the lt-15 diesel https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,37591.0.html

Quote from: ladylake on May 17, 2009, 05:04:14 AM
On my B20 TK  I switched from a 27 hp Kohler to a 28 hp Isuzu diesel which cuts way faster and uses 1/2 the fuel.  I think I'd have to give the edge to a 25hp gas over a 10 hp diesel, I'd think a 18 to 20 hp diesel should compare well.   Steve

no idea about the difference in weight.....
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

ladylake

My 3 cylinder Isuzu wieghs 300# vs 110# for the 27 hp Kohler. This is on a B20 TK, I don't think they change anything between their diesel and gas mills and I've got 1000 hours on the diesel now with no problems. I had thought of mounting a heavy sping to counter balance some of the weight but never did.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ladylake

There's a 21hp Kubota for $1900     210# over at the surplus center.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Piston

Quote from: ladylake on May 20, 2009, 06:09:45 AM
There's a 21hp Kubota for $1900     210# over at the surplus center.  Steve

Hmmmmm.....wonder if that would fit an LT-15 ?
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Thank You Sponsors!