iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Assessing a used saw

Started by scgargoyle, August 23, 2009, 04:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scgargoyle

As the old story goes- I was at an auction yesterday.... and bought a used saw, A Stihl MS 360. It looked fairly good, no obvious damage, and it had good compression. Long story short- I got it for $100, brought it home, and it started on the second pull. It seems to run great, but I'm wondering what I should look at/for before putting it to work. The oiler is working, the bar looks good, but it could stand a fresh chain. Any recommendations? I don't want to miss something and trash a good saw. Thanks!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Ianab

About the only thing that will kill a saw is running too lean.

That can be caused by an air leak in the fuel line, carb mounting or crank seals. Just run it and make sure it's not leaning out at full throttle (it will rev, but have no power at the top end). Another check is to idle it, and turn it on it's side. If the revs change then you may have an air leak someplace or some carb problem.

Otherwise, get a new chain and go for it.  8)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ladylake

Quote from: Ianab on August 23, 2009, 04:32:20 PM
About the only thing that will kill a saw is running too lean.

That can be caused by an air leak in the fuel line, carb mounting or crank seals. Just run it and make sure it's not leaning out at full throttle (it will rev, but have no power at the top end). Another check is to idle it, and turn it on it's side. If the revs change then you may have an air leak someplace or some carb problem.

Otherwise, get a new chain and go for it.  8)

Ian

Right, just make sure it's not to lean. Open the high up untill it blubbers good and then back  in untill it cleans up in the cut after 1 second. No danger of burning down there and it will have a nice wide power band.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Hilltop366

If it had any gas in it when you got it I would dump it out and start with some new gas that you know has been mixed right with good oil and is fresh.

scgargoyle

I already dumped the gas that was in the tank, although it seemed fairly fresh. I probably won't be using it for a while- maybe in November. Good tips about making sure it's not running lean. That will have to wait until I have something big enough to cut.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Thank You Sponsors!