iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Master logger

Started by Wild willy, September 21, 2009, 10:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild willy

I am looking to take master logger course so I can get in on some state work getting hard to find timber can anybody give me some pointers I am in Pocono mt's pa don't even no were to go. I have been in logging all my life third generation looking to better my self and my three boys. Thanks Wild willy 
Timberjack 225c/john deere 640/Clark 665 husky372xp/385xp/288xp
Bill Hibbs

PAFaller

Hey Bud you may be a bit confused about what you have to take in order to bid on state timber sales. As of right now you just need to be an SFI of PA graduate, and thats pretty simple. There is a list of core classes, and they are Environmental Logging, Logging Safety, and CPR First Aid. IF you google search SFI of PA there should be a link to where and when the classes are for this coming fall. Once you have the core stuff its just a matter of taking refreshers every year.
It ain't easy...

Wild willy

Hey thanks pafaller when my pop took the course it was called master logger guess I better come up to date with things lol,any way thanks for the heads up I am going to check it out
Bill Hibbs

PAFaller

PA had at one time a Master Logger Certification. If you dont mind my asking who in your family went through it. My understanding that the 'true' Master Logger Program only had 4 graduates. I know 2 of them rather well, and there is some talk from some industry folks that the Master Logger Program needs to be brought back to life for the guys that are committed to the industry and doing whats right for the woods. The flaws in the original program however were numerous, but hard to work around. In order to meet the standards set forth by Smartwood or ALC guidelines there were detailed site inspections, both active job and retired ones, equipment inspections, business and finance management checks, along with landowner interviews ect. The whole process took days to complete sometimes, and it was very strict. THe big kicker was that for a few of these guys it did give them a bargaining chip to try and buy private timber, but it never led to better prices for delivered wood or open quotas at any mills, therefore many in the business just decided not to pursue it.
The pulp and paper industry however has made commitments to sustainability, so training may get harder and stricter as the years progress. Only time will tell at this point. Where are you located in PA? I am over in Tioga County, but travel all over creation these days. 
It ain't easy...

Wild willy

I'm over by the pocono's and I am a Hibbs third generation don't no much about it but my father took it? I will ask him tomorrow he still has his card not to pretty but has it I no it had to be 20 or more years ago.
Bill Hibbs

Wild willy

U no pafaller now that I'm thinking about it my pop prob has or should I say had a card,little out of date lol. Still I will check it out thanks for you help wildwilly
Bill Hibbs

Thank You Sponsors!