iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pumpkin Chunkin

Started by metalspinner, October 10, 2009, 05:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nas

Quote from: metalspinner on October 18, 2009, 10:30:45 PM

We are walking around the wrong end of this thing.

Is there a safe side to walk around?
That's really cool!
Did you use a plan or did you design it yourself?
Looks like a cool project for my boys science fair 8)

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

metalspinner

The house is just fine and out of firing range.  But my MIL's car is usually parked on the other side of those hedges. smiley_devilish

nas,
We just layed this out with the wood I had on hand then engineered it as we went.  There is lots ofvague info on the internet, though. ::)

Watching the video, the CW side has lots less potential "action" at human hieght than the trigger side does.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

isawlogs

This is really cool , but I noticed that you should trade the hat for a cup if you are to be using that side to go around it  ::)   ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

Cool, but still looks like an accident waiting to happen.  :)

I think felling trees in the woods to be a lot safer than waking around this loaded gun. I hope all remain safe and with all body parts intact while having fun.  :)

Don't mean to sound preachy, but from the video there are too many times when the cold shivery feeling of "looking down a gun barrel" come across my mind. The cup was one, and the head under the counter weight was but another. Adjusting the safety tether was one more. Prolly never happen, but could.

Then on to hoping that the projectile will land somewhere near where it is supposed to, and not on someone/something it isn't.  :) ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

metalspinner

beenthere,
I hear ya.  Even if I can make every possible effort - and I will - to make this thing safe, the fact is it's dangerous.

Watching the video has made all the points you made glaringly obvious and we will procede to correct the dangers as best as possible.

QuoteI noticed that you should trade the hat for a cup if you are to be using that side to go around it

Yeah, I thought that, too.  I believe some of that we are seeing is from the angle perspective of the camera.  But after seeing it, better care will be taken.  That is what made me think to walk around the other end of the machine.  That and throwing the safety tether over the arm and using the "shortcut."

I certainly don't mind you guys speaking up on anything you might see that can be changed or added to our procedures. :)

isawlogs

Its obvious that this thing is dangerous , so are chainsaws and cars , I would be more at ease playing with this , wich I find totally cool , then being left alone in some major cities .
   I just might try and put one together next summer . I have two fields that are about a half mile between the two , think a pumkin could make it from one to the other  smiley_headscratch
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

Quote from: isawlogs on October 19, 2009, 12:14:04 PM

Its obvious that this thing is dangerous , so are chainsaws and cars , I would be more at ease playing with this , wich I find totally cool , then being left alone in some major cities .
   I just might try and put one together next summer . I have two fields that are about a half mile between the two , think a pumkin could make it from one to the other  smiley_headscratch

Sure, just build it big enough.  8) 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

James P.

hey hurry up lets go see where it landed ! hate dialup but worth seeing when I  :D at the end. yes be careful, no sense in learning the hard way. I could see myself pulling the pin while I am leaning on it. keep us posted

metalspinner

5lb pumpkin shot to 320' this evening!  The exploded parts and entrails went another 75' beyond that.  That's with close to 700lbs in the CW bucket.  That went alot farther than I thought it would.   :o  In fact, it  landed in my neighbor's feild.  I just went in the dark of the night and repaired the divot it made. ::) :D

The same weight sent a 13 pounder 200' this afternoon.

I'm going to wait till we get to the farm before we really beef it up with some weight.  The sling is releasing beautifully - a nice high arc with tremendous speed.

A local produce stand gave me 20 pumpkins that all had soft spots, cracks, or rot in them.  A few of them are about 20 pounds.  I don't think those will launch too far.  :D  I offered to pay him a bit for them, but all he wanted was to see a video of the launcher in action. :)

WDH

320', Wow! 

Bring it to the Pig Roast and we can have some fun with it  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WDH

Quote from: WDH on October 22, 2009, 08:50:29 PM
320', Wow! 

Bring it to the Pig Roast and we can have some fun with it  :D.

We could launch the pig carcass into one of Jeff's least favorite neighbor's yard  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

Jeff could use it on people that turn vehicles around in his wet yard. 

Now, that's the video I want to see. ;D

Super job Chris, remember to let the kids play with it too ;)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

Make sure one doesn't send the other into orbit. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

metalspinner

:D

We brought it out to the farm yesteday.  It travels well on the trailer.  And pulling it up with the winch was a piece of cake. 

It's supposed to rain all day today with the sun coming out by tomorrow morning.  Hopefully, we'll get just a glancing blow of the bad weather.  Otherwise, we'll have very happy, very muddy cub scouts and very unhappy, very muddy moms. :D

IMERC

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

isawlogs

I know what I want for Christmas now ....   :D

Marcel

Tom

IMERC

Quote from: isawlogs on October 25, 2009, 09:58:03 PM

I know what I want for Christmas now ....   :D

just one???

remember those pesky squirrels in the attic....
we have the problem solver....

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

IMERC

Fla._Deadheader

Where's the update from the head Punkin chunker ??? ??? ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

metalspinner

I was just too exausted after a day of cranking on that winch to update you guys.  Sorry. :D

We had several machines show up Saturday morning. Three trebuchets, one catapult, and last years champion slingshot (;D).  It was a great surprise to have so much effort put into our event by our families...over 120 people showed up for the afternoon and evenings activities.  This was the largest turnout for any of our scouting events. 8)

I have lots of pics...just need a cup of coffee or two to get the uploading done.

We have a new hand chunking champion.  A Bear cub tossed his 3lb pumpkin 108 feet! :o

In the machine division, last years champ has successfully defended his title! 8) 8)  Tossing a 12 pounder 275 feet! 8)  5 pounders were clearing 320' :)

The other machines could only launch the smaller pumpkins.  To drive home our point of superiority, we launched a 20 pounder about 150 feet. :D :D :D

The treb was launching beautifully.  Smooth and consistant without one missfire.  We got the weight up to about 900 lbs.  That was a bit much for the small pumpkins.  But just about right for the 10-12 pounders.

It was a great day of fun culminating in a chili dinner cooked by 6 different moms, pumpkin carving, and campfire fun. 40 of us stuck it out and camped for the night.  Last Tuesday we made the call to campout because the weatherman said it would be 45 degrees.  It turned out to be 37. :-\  Thank goodness we went to Sam's and bought a ton of Swiss Miss.  Those Igloo coolers do a great job of keeping hot water hot!

After a breakfast of egg and sausage burritos with cinnamon rolls, we spent the next few hours breaking down camp and discussing next years Pumpkin Palooza. smiley_dizzy 

metalspinner

Imerc,
Those cannon guys are crazy!  Did they ever answer where those pumkins are landing? :o :D

That treb built by the students sure looks familier.  But theirs was a fixed weight, I believe.  It's interesting they were able to sell $5 tickets...  Hmmmm...

Raider Bill

Chris,

Where did this take place?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

IMERC

Quote from: metalspinner on October 26, 2009, 08:54:43 AM
Imerc,
Those cannon guys are crazy!  Did they ever answer where those pumkins are landing? :o :D

aren't we all...

didn't recall them saying where the landing zone was... but everything looked to be habitated...
their main concern was aircraft...

BTW.. time to ditch that hand crank and go electric winch isn't it???

Thank You Sponsors!