iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pumpkin Chunkin

Started by metalspinner, October 10, 2009, 05:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

Just so ya'll don't think I'm not workin'...

Drilling the hole through...

Setting in the bushing...

Using the lift to position the arm...

Realizing the uprights are too short... :-\

Longer uprights with outriggers installed...

Trigger is made, but need to take pic.  Sling and counterweight are underway. 

My top secret informant tells me that a couple of Tiger dads have something cooking up, too.  It's starting to get exciting! 8) 8)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

fishpharmer

Chris, thats awesome looking.  The kids will love it almost as much as you ;D

be careful
http://www.katu.com/news/4511481.html
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

metalspinner

Thanks, fish.

I saw that incident on Youtube.  I learned alot about audience participation watching that video.  The scene seemed very chaotic.

We will have a couple of "safeties" on the treb when it is cocked, too.  Lots of videos on Youtube with guys hanging from the top of the arm to cock it. :o  Not very smart IMHO.

caver

A co-worker's son and a friend of his son built a trebuchet on my co-workers property.
The son's friend somehow got hurt from the trebuchet. Unknown to my co-worker the son's friend's Mom and Dad filed a claim against his homeowners insurance. The insurance company dropped the policy and they were uninsured for awhile. I can't recall how they sorted the uninsured problem out.
I know, you are thinking this happened in Big City America,,,nope, happened in small town Missouri.
Baker HD18

metalspinner

Counterweight is done.  It came in a little heavier than we thought at 487lbs.  This was the first time I got to cut steel out with a torch. 8)  The side walls of the CW are 1" thick.

With the aide of the fork lift we hung the CW.  No funny noises from the Treb so far.  ;D

The first lift of the CW.  Still no funny noises.  Though we were looking at the cheap little pulley we had on hand for the winch with great suspicion.

We didn't have a pumpkin at the shop, but a close relative stepped up...

Here is the release pin on the end of the beam.  This is an important device as it determines the trajectory of the projectile.  We will tweak the angle to get the launch just right.

I'm trying to get setup on Youtube to show you guys the maiden launch.

James P.

really neat, your kids must be so excited. They have a cool dad.I live about 2 miles from pumkin chunkin location in Delaware, still have never been, the blacksmith from Lewes De started the one hear with friends and was on David Letterman . He did a demo with the sling type. Did see that just by chance. good luck hope the tigers don't mind second place

beenthere

When something breaks while cranking it up and setting the trigger, where will you be standing?  ::)

And where will the pieces go?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

metalspinner

Beenthere,
First thing tomorrow morning is a trip to the hardware store for a couple of heavy pulleys to redirect the direction of pull.  To answer your question, though, "Right in the line of fire!" :(  But that will change before the next launch. ;)

Before the trigger is set, we throw a safty line across the arm.  We also leave the winch attached while we load and set the sling.  Then we set the trigger and remove both safty's.  The trigger is attached to a 30'+ rope.

We will come up with a formal procedure for cocking and loading this thing in which we accomplish one step at a time.  So one of us does not get ahead of the other.

James,
I'm not ruling anything out - including finishing second, third, or last place.  This was one of those projects I've always wanted to build.

Oh, I picked up an old beatup bowling ball a the alley for practice shooting.  Pumpkins can get expensive. ::)

metalspinner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Y22qsC978

This was the first and last launch.  Our wives were busting our... well, you know, to get home.  But we just had to try it out. :D

The orange jug landed near that white storage trailer in the distance.  We should get better distance once we tweek the sling, release pin, and CW.

isawlogs

Cool ...  8) 8)  Way da go !!!!!! 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

That is just so neat!!

It sounds like it could use a little more pork fat.  :D

Ianab

Excellent.  8)

First time we fired out little 'desktop' unit it threw a golfball about 9ft the wrong way, over the hedge and on to the neighbours roof. A bit of tuning on the release hook and we had it firing the right direction.  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

James P.

Metalspinner, wow, I may be way off but I think you beat your old record. Nice shot! We are going for first place  ;)
Swamp Donkey I have a feeling you sometimes talk with a Monte Python movie dialect

metalspinner

:D :D

I have never seen that movie, SD.  But it looks like a trip to the video store is in order. :D

QuoteThis was the first and last launch.

Ianab,
I should fess up and and come clean.  That was our first successful launch.  This was our first attempt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WGA3tJqtA4

:o :o :D

metalspinner

Tom,
I'll save the drippings from my bacon this morning to drizzle on the CW later. :D :D

James, I'm feeling more confident after having seen and anylized our first attempt. ;)

okmulch

Metalspinner,

Sometimes you have to go backward before you go forward.  :D
However I think it looks good and with a little tweeking you will be launching pumpkins in no time.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f, Tigercat 724g feller buncher

SwampDonkey

This week is the 40th Anniversary of the Monty Python's Flying Circus.  8)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

IMERC

Quote from: Tom on October 16, 2009, 11:54:50 PM
That is just so neat!!

It sounds like it could use a little more pork fat.  :D

please... yes...

at 1st when I heard that I thought the dog was in distress...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Ianab

QuoteI should fess up and and come clean.  That was our first successful launch.  This was our first attempt...

Could have been worse... Somtimes that first attempt goes straight up. Talk about 'friendly fire'  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

IMERC

Quote from: Ianab on October 17, 2009, 04:26:30 PM
QuoteI should fess up and and come clean.  That was our first successful launch.  This was our first attempt...

Could have been worse... Somtimes that first attempt goes straight up. Talk about 'friendly fire'  :D

Ian

could have hit the pickup....

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Ianab on October 17, 2009, 04:26:30 PM

Ian

Run Away!! Run Away!!  :D :D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

QuoteCould have been worse... Somtimes that first attempt goes straight up.

We came up with a good sling design that should eliminate that possibility.  We launch the sling with the pumpkin.  Too much can go wrong if the treb misfires.

IMERC,
My buddy didn't seem too concerned about that truck as it was a company vehicle. :D

Here is some better footage of this thing in action.  Watching it gave me some ideas on better procedures...

We are walking around the wrong end of this thing.
I need to make a long push stickfor adjusting the sling.
Bring the trigger string back to the Treb after firing to keep itchy trigger fingers idle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3-iF_WRYLw

Even without the music, the cool sound the sling makes isn't on the video.  It's a neat "Whoosh!" 8)

IMERC

you guys did an amazing job...

KUDOS....

so as long as nobody had to explain a dent in the company truck...

but now why would you guys be threatening that poor house???

Thank You Sponsors!