iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Outlaw buildings

Started by bandmiller2, November 29, 2009, 07:32:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonhill

I should stay out of it.  But try not paying your property taxes and see who really owns "your" property.  Same with your car/truck registration with out paying that tax it looks fine sitting in the driveway, so do you really own it?   Thing are quite different than we all think they are.   I should stop before I have a wreck.   

I like my timber framed buildings, I will take them with me if in comes down to that.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

sdunston

I agree with all and being on the local planning board I still feel if you buy the land and pay your taxes you should be able to do what you want. In our town ag bldg's are exempt from paying for a permit but still must get one if it is over 100 sqft. The main reason it has come to all this is because of contractors building sub code and most of there customers dont know they are getting riped off, So we hire a "CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER" to police it. We are all dealing with a broken system ::). Now for big brother watching, down load google earth and you will never leave any thing outside again. Makes ya wanna move under ground :D one more thing, If buildings were outlawed only us outlaws would build them and saw wood for the others 8)
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

zopi

if i had a hill big enough, i would move underground...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Peakebrook

I just finished sawing a shed for a building inspector.  Lets just say an investment in the future.  :D
WM LT40SH with Cat 51, JD 210, JD 280, JD 450G, Cat 311

Ironwood

One of our local code folks goes to my church, he showed up one day at the shop to introduce me to one of his co-workers. Never hurts to keep those folks on yer side.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dodgy Loner

We've built two outlaw buildings on Dad's place. One small barn for the horses and a big pole barn for the sawmill. His county uses Google Earth or some other satellite technology to find the buildings and assess taxes on them. Never had an inspector show up at the property, though, unless he did it while we were away. My county? We're among the lucky few with no inspectors ;D.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

easymoney

the county where i live has no building codes. a neighbor is building a home to live in he could not believe there was no codes or inspections he went to the courthouse and asked to be sure. but we have yankees moving in that are building mansions and are pushing for building codes and do not want any homes being built that are valued at less than one hundred thousand dollars. the time is coming that you will not be allowed to build your own home. it will have to be built by a licensed contractor with lumber from lowes or home depot. and a mortguage will be required even if you have the money to pay for it. we have to support the banks and loan companies.

jdtuttle

I agree with most of what's been said about being able to build on your own land. However, my experience as a home inspector has shown me what some people build & then sell to unsuspecting buyers. 2x6 floor joists spanning 18 feet, undesized load bearing lumber, faulty & dangerous electrical & plumbing. We are a reactive society. After a few deaths from poor construction practices we passed laws. Now we are passing more laws & many are just plane old ridiculous. I know because I have to enforce some of them as a code officer.  ;)
jim
Have a great day

ohsoloco

Quote from: moonhill on November 30, 2009, 05:31:17 PM
I should stay out of it.  But try not paying your property taxes and see who really owns "your" property. 

Sad but true.  Even after I pay off my mortgage, I won't ever own my house.  Stop paying property taxes and the Sheriff will seize it and sell it to someone that will  :-\

Tom

Quote from: easymoney on December 01, 2009, 09:51:01 AM
but we have yankees moving in that are building mansions and are pushing for building codes and do not want any homes being built that are valued at less than one hundred thousand dollars.

Welcome to Florida's hospitality.  We have welcomed people for years who brought, what they were running away from, with them.  Now they have Disney and a State where you can't sneeze without some Gov. bureaucrat knocking on the door.  :)

Ironwood

"Sad but true.  Even after I pay off my mortgage, I won't ever own my house.  Stop paying property taxes and the Sheriff will seize it and sell it to someone that will" 

Boy aint that the truth. My nieghbor built a BIG house, his tax bill is as much as my house payment, no end in site and will only go up up up. #$%^ shame.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

etkoehn

Those political bums do not keep to the constitution. They are the law breakers. The founding fathers would be on our side. For the most part politicians are crooks and in it for themselves. 
Farm Boy

Magicman

Quote from: etkoehn on December 01, 2009, 01:13:34 PM
For the most part politicians are crooks and in it for themselves. 

BUT, we keep re-electing them !!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sprucebunny

Quote from: ohsoloco on December 01, 2009, 10:34:02 AM

Even after I pay off my mortgage, I won't ever own my house.  Stop paying property taxes and the Sheriff will seize it and sell it to someone that will  :-\

My real estate tax costs as much per month as I paid for rent when I was in my early twenties. It's pretty shocking !!!
Particularly when I consider what I get in return.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Fla._Deadheader

Now, Bunny, You get to hep all them unfortunate types what are on Welfare and Food Stamps, and just WISH they could get a REAL job, and pay them taxes, just like you do.  ::) ::) ;D ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

etkoehn

Quote from: Magicman on December 01, 2009, 05:45:57 PM
Quote from: etkoehn on December 01, 2009, 01:13:34 PM
For the most part politicians are crooks and in it for themselves. 

BUT, we keep re-electing them !!!

well lets stop :D
I'm honestly real sick of politics and i'm only in my 20's. I don't know how you older guys put up with it.

Tax the Rich(or anyone who works) so the bums don't have to work
Farm Boy

petefrom bearswamp

Hello all,
I live in central NY state where taxes are really reasonable.
I only pay about $600.00  per month in taxes on 129 acres and a house, shop a sawmill shed and an (outlaw) pole building.
I could rent cheaper for just a house to live in.
I see posts from two others in NY State, one in Carlisle near where I grew up (Delanson NY) and Candor near where I live now ( Sempronius, Cayuga Co.) .
I ask how their taxes are.
I first built a sawmill shelter of 12 X 28 just four poles and a roof which my good wife (who I love dearly) insisted I get a permit for.
No increase in assessment for that.
I then outlawed a pole building at my mill which is 32 X 36 two years ago.
Haven't been bothered so far, but I can se the roof from the nearest Town rd. so I am living on borrowed time.
Holy crap. can't they just leave us alone?
Regards to all
Pete

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

paul case

pete,
in ok i pay about $1200 a year for 75000 sq ft of barns, 4 homes, and 364 acres. $600 per month sounds real high.the acessor has been here.how do i know? he called for directions,couldn't find us with his garman gps. thats hillarious!!! :D
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Radar67

I'm not going to say how low my taxes are to keep the rush down, but I could pay my tax bill for over 7 years on what you spend a month pete.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

stonebroke

We pay about 17,000$ a year in warnerville NY about 11 miles from carlisle on 700 acres of hill ground two houses and three barns I don't use. This is with Ag exemption. Without it would be at least double. Our house has doubled in assesment in two years. I am just holding on and hope the gas companies get here soon

Stonebroke

ljmathias

Radar: you done it now!  Not only is the cat out of the bag, but probably all the way to NY where Stone will hear it and come moving south... what we don't need down here are more da*n Yankees (being one myself, I know how undesirable they are as neighbors).  BTW, in case you hadn't heard: a yankee is a visitor from the north that comes and spends lots of money and then goes home; the ones that come and stay, those are the da*ned kind...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

paul case

i didnt know. i have trouble pickn up accents.  8) pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

fishpharmer

My taxes are outrageous.  Almost as high as our snow drifts. :D  Ag exemption helps.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Radar67

LJ, the cat will jump back in. When they have to deal with the heat, they won't stay long. My main curiosity is this, just where does the money come from? High taxes, need lots of gas or wood for heat, snow blowers, etc... do the jobs up there pay that much higher? I just did some figuring and bare bones, just paying my bills and utilities, I could live a year on stonebroke's yearly tax money and still have a little left.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!