iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

$7958 for a firewood processor !

Started by genesis5521, December 21, 2009, 08:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genesis5521

Update on the Farmi WP30CS firewood processor. I can get the gas powered model for $16,500.00 which includes the log lift, conveyor, freight and delivery. The Farmi can process logs up to 12 inches in diameter. I would really like a unit that can process logs up to 16 inches in diameter. But when I order a load of 8 foot logs, I rarely, if ever, get any logs larger than 12 inches in diameter. I can tell the guys I buy the logs from that I don't want anything over 12 inches and they're pretty good about giving me what I asked for. I can get the Hud-Son Badger, with a conveyor, for about this same price. But I'd have to pay for shipping. The Badger can process logs up to 16 inches in diameter. The difference between the Farmi and the Badger is how the logs are loaded on to the processor. The Farmi uses a log lift, whereas the Badger uses a winch. After viewing the video on the Farmi and the Badger, which do you prefer, and why?

Question: Between the two methods of loading the logs, lift or winch, is one method preferable over the other. If so, why? Or is it a horse apiece?

beenthere

genesis5521
That is a quote to you. Doesn't seem real fair to the 3 Rivers Forestry business to post their quote to you.

Could just remove who it was from and it would leave sufficient info for the forum.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

logwalker

Quote from: beenthere on January 01, 2010, 10:58:06 AM
genesis5521
That is a quote to you. Doesn't seem real fair to the 3 Rivers Forestry business to post their quote to you.

Could just remove who it was from and it would leave sufficient info for the forum.

I don't see a problem. Times are tough and they are trying to make sales. They would likely give the same quote to anyone. JOe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

genesis5521

I'm the one who started this thread on a $7958 firewood processor, and I hole heatedly support jpgreen's idea below. There's a certain satisfaction that comes through building something yourself. I've heard some say that you really don't need any plans if you're qualified to do all of the necessary work. That may be true for some but I for one am not that knowledgeable or qualified. That being the case I prefer to read and follow detailed instructions. Maybe we could come up with a set of truly free plans which could be freely downloaded. I know some of you have access to used/scrounged parts, but many of us don't have that knowledge or luxury. I'd prefer a materials list of over-the-counter parts which could be easily attainable locally or over the internet through reliable sources. I've done a lot of research on the internet concerning firewood processors. I don't know if the $7958 unit I started this thread on will ever be sold in the U.S.A. The next cheapest unit I found was the Hud-Son Badger for $13,999. This unit held its own at the annual firewood processor competition hosted by Sawmill & Woodlot. I know that there are many variables, but does anyone have a knowledgeable guestimate of what it would cost to build a decent firewood processor using all new steel and parts? I'm like you JP, in that I don't need (can't afford) a bigger, more elaborate unit. I really don't care if it takes two hours to process one full cord of unprocessed logs in to firewood, as long as I can eliminate a lot of the lifting, and handling, and lifting again, and handling again, like I do now. I'm not looking for high production.

This was your idea JP. If you start the thread, I'll sure come on board. I don't know how to weld (but plan to learn), and know nothing about fabrication. But I do teach accounting, computer, internet, photo editing, web page design, and a lot of other computer related courses. I'm pretty good at finding things on the internet. I'll contribute what ever I can to further this project along.

Don  <><

jpgreen

Why don't we start a group firewood processor building thread?

Get the brightest fabrication minds together here at the Forestry Forum and develop a simple and cost effective design, then we all build each of ours at home, documenting it right here step by step.

Everyone could assist in finding deals on components and materials. For those who cannot weld they can hire it done, or have a friend or neighbor participate and provide the fabrication help, or use this as a good time to learn to weld.

I could use one, and it would not have to be a big expensive elaborate rig. We could start step by step and each member here could post pics of their progress at their own pace, and get help or contribute suggestions all along the way.

Steps could be like this:

1- Come up with a consensus on a simple group design buildable and affordable.

2- Develop a step by step fabrication plan- what tools and materials would be needed.

3- Start combing the web for the best deals on all the components everyone could order. We could negotiate a group deal from suppliers.

4- Start with the very first basic step of steel fab, post pics, then proceed step by step through the steel frame fab process, on to hydraulics etc.

Participants could contribute and work at their own pace, slow up or speed up as long as they post detailed instructions with pictures on their progress so every one could follow.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Gary_C

Quote from: jpgreen on January 02, 2010, 12:40:23 PM
Why don't we start a group firewood processor building thread?

1- Come up with a consensus on a simple group design buildable and affordable.

You know they say a camel is a horse that was designed by a comittee. You can get them with one hump or two.  :D :D

And they are onery SOB's, they will spit at you and bite too.  ::)

So who would be responsible if the thing bites someone?   ;D ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

jpgreen

I would strongly suggest if someone has trouble and issues being responsible for their own actions and accountable for what they do in life, do not particapate...  ::)

Meadows Miller

Gday
Quote from: jpgreen on January 03, 2010, 01:06:53 AM
I would strongly suggest if someone has trouble and issues being responsible for their own actions and accountable for what they do in life, do not particapate...  ::)
Jp They Dont Mate then then they turn around and try to blame us for al their issues   :o :) ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

moonhill

Quote from: jpgreen on January 03, 2010, 01:06:53 AM
smiley_clapping

Tim

This is a test, please stand by...

jpgreen

Quote from: Gary_C on January 02, 2010, 10:55:33 PM

You know they say a camel is a horse that was designed by a comittee. You can get them with one hump or two.  :D :D

And they are onery SOB's, they will spit at you and bite too.  ::)

So who would be responsible if the thing bites someone?   ;D ;D

I'm sorry but that concept really tics me off. Who thinks like that? That's why our world is nose diving for the moment, and putting corrupt scumbags in power and supporting bottom feeders.

If a guy doesn't have sense enough not to get bit, get away from me..   ::)

And if a guy doesn't have the aptitude to run a firewood splitter, they should not be participating in things that are enjoyed here on this forum like milling lumber. Sit back in your arm chair, and dream at a safe comfortable distance whilst you choke down a Swanson and leave us alone...  ::)

LeeB

There is another forum memeber that is already building a firewood processor and sharing that information. Look around and think a little before you open up too loud.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

jpgreen

Quote from: LeeB on January 03, 2010, 09:40:36 AM
There is another forum memeber that is already building a firewood processor and sharing that information. Look around and think a little before you open up too loud.

Oh now there's another postitive comment. 

Truly- I spend my valuable time here to contribute to this forum. I've brought and shared many positive ideas and equipment mods especially for Wood Mizers here for members.

I try to help with thoughts on a solution for a firewood processor that maybe some folks could benefit from, and now I'm being told to pipe down.

Maybe a link to the processor being built here I was not aware of would be more appropriate.

I don't know why I waste me time...  ::)

LeeB

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,40190.0.html

Here you go. All it took was a hit on the search button. I guess maybe you just have to have the right aptitude.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

motohed

Quote from: genesis5521 on January 02, 2010, 02:04:24 AM
I'm the one who started this thread on a $7958 firewood processor, and I hole heatedly support jpgreen's idea below. There's a certain satisfaction that comes through building something yourself. I've heard some say that you really don't need any plans if you're qualified to do all of the necessary work. That may be true for some but I for one am not that knowledgeable or qualified. That being the case I prefer to read and follow detailed instructions. Maybe we could come up with a set of truly free plans which could be freely downloaded. I know some of you have access to used/scrounged parts, but many of us don't have that knowledge or luxury. I'd prefer a materials list of over-the-counter parts which could be easily attainable locally or over the internet through reliable sources. I've done a lot of research on the internet concerning firewood processors. I don't know if the $7958 unit I started this thread on will ever be sold in the U.S.A. The next cheapest unit I found was the Hud-Son Badger for $13,999. This unit held its own at the annual firewood processor competition hosted by Sawmill & Woodlot. I know that there are many variables, but does anyone have a knowledgeable guestimate of what it would cost to build a decent firewood processor using all new steel and parts? I'm like you JP, in that I don't need (can't afford) a bigger, more elaborate unit. I really don't care if it takes two hours to process one full cord of unprocessed logs in to firewood, as long as I can eliminate a lot of the lifting, and handling, and lifting again, and handling again, like I do now. I'm not looking for high production.

This was your idea JP. If you start the thread, I'll sure come on board. I don't know how to weld (but plan to learn), and no nothing about fabrication. But I do teach accounting, computer, internet, photo editing, web page design, and a lot of other computer related courses. I'm pretty good at finding things on the internet. I'll contribute what ever I can to further this project along.

Don  <><

Hi Don
I would probly by the one from badger hudson . I have looked at it , the part seem to be pretty generic . It just would not produce enough wood fast enough . The Farmi stuff will be proprietory , so you will have to buy parts from them . I myself am looking at the CRD metal fab or works,  processor , Model the rapido . It's a circle saw design , and relatively in expensive compaired to other manufacturers . It;s a relatively new company . I have also been thinking about building my own , I have al the equipment and most of the stuff I would need , I also have some good ideas . My problem ,as with most is the time . I tend to be maticulus ,which is good but it really cuts in to the time constraints . I suppose if my garage was bigger ,or I moved some of my other prodjects I would have room .

Scott

JPGreen

I have to ask what is a swanson ?  :D

jpgreen

Quote from: LeeB on January 03, 2010, 10:07:07 AM
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,40190.0.html

Here you go. All it took was a hit on the search button. I guess maybe you just have to have the right aptitude.  :D

Yea you're right... that's hillarious ... :D    ..::)

jpgreen

Scott a Swanson is a TV dinner...  ;D

Good luck and best wishes on getting your firewood processor together.

motohed

Quote from: jpgreen on January 03, 2010, 09:56:24 AM
Quote from: LeeB on January 03, 2010, 09:40:36 AM

Oh now there's another postitive comment. 

Truly- I spend my valuable time here to contribute to this forum. I've brought and shared many positive ideas and equipment mods especially for Wood Mizers here for members.

I try to help with thoughts on a solution for a firewood processor that maybe some folks could benefit from, and now I'm being told to pipe down.

Maybe a link to the processor being built here I was not aware of would be more appropriate.

I don't think LeeB was telling you to pipe down so to speak ,as much as letting you know about another thread on building a firewood proccessor . We all get a little hot once in a while ,when we think someone is intensionally trying to ruffly our feathers .  ;)

Gary_C

Quote from: jpgreen on January 03, 2010, 09:28:47 AM

I'm sorry but that concept really tics me off. Who thinks like that? That's why our world is nose diving for the moment, and putting corrupt scumbags in power and supporting bottom feeders.

If a guy doesn't have sense enough not to get bit, get away from me..   ::)

I am sorry that you misinterpreted my comments and came away with that conclusion. But really, that is the reason for all the problems in the world? Give me a break!

As someone that has participated in the machine design process, I can see some flaws in your concept, one of which is that one or more of the group may not some macho type that wants to ignore safety for speed. That is what that comment about responsibility was regarding.

Regardless of how many heads participate in the design, the first machine made will be a prototype of sorts and only then will you find out what ideas work and what don't. Then either the modifications begin or you scrap that one and start the next. It would not make sense to build 2,5,or 10 at a time. And there are very capable people out there that have already done that process and your chances of doing it cheaper are slim to none. Especially when you count your time. The people that are already doing this design get to divide the cost of their time up on many machines. You will not.

I am sorry I put that comment about responsibility in that post. That was not the main point that I was trying to make. But since you responded in such an agitated way I will also say this:

Quote from: jpgreen on January 03, 2010, 09:28:47 AM

And if a guy doesn't have the aptitude to run a firewood splitter, they should not be participating in things that are enjoyed here on this forum like milling lumber. Sit back in your arm chair, and dream at a safe comfortable distance whilst you choke down a Swanson and leave us alone...  ::)

That macho attitude is one of many reasons why forestry and logging is always at the top of the accident charts. It's supposed to be safety first!

As far as the arm chair thing, yesterday I was too busy rewelding one spring support on my trailer out in the cold shed. It was -19 F out there and after that I used my firewood splitter (cost about $19) to warm up and get some supply for the OWB. I've never use a mechanical splitter. My way is faster and think of all the time I will save by not trying to reinvent the wheel. Remember the old saying, he who cuts his own wood is twice warmed. 

And I did not know what a "Swanson" was either.   ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

beenthere

Quote from: jpgreen on January 03, 2010, 09:56:24 AM
I try to help with thoughts on a solution for a firewood processor that maybe some folks could benefit from, and now I'm being told to pipe down........

JP
I think you waste your time here much like we all do....  because the rest of the FF members care.  And not many places we go, do others care what we have to say, what we think, what problems we have, or what ideas we may have to offer.

I hope you keep your ideas coming.. 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

motohed

Quote from: genesis5521 on December 23, 2009, 06:25:52 PM
Quote from: motohed on December 23, 2009, 08:52:19 AM
Hi Don
I have been looking at processors for a long time . I really can't see the difference in this unit versus a good splitter and conveyer unit . You said you would be buying log length firewood correct . You also said you would have to buy a conveyer . I believe a good splitter and conveyer would be much more versatile than this processor . 325 pitch chain seems quite small for processing firewood in this situation , you would be sharpening all the time. Getting really clean wood in log length is almost impossible . Think long and hard on this one , you do as much work with this as you will do with a chainsaw . Don't get me wrong , it a good idea but it needs a lot of improvement from an engineering stand point . I Don't think it would be easy to sell if you were unhappy .

Hi Motohed. See, you guys are educating me a bit. I didn't realize the chain pitch could/would necessitate more frequent chain sharpening. In fact, I know nothing about chain pitch. I currently use a little Stihl M170 with a 14 inch bar. I have 4 chains for it. When one chain starts to get dull, I just put on another one. I wait until I have 3 chains that need sharpening, and then I sharpen them all at once with one of those little electric sharpeners you hook to a car battery. This doesn't take me very long and that little gizzmo does a nice job of sharpening. After I've sharpened the chains 4 times, I take them in for professional sharpening to straighten out all of the angles. I figured no matter what process I bought, I'd get 4 chains for it and use my same sharpening routine. Or is there some fallacy in my thinking?

A lot of people have said what you said about a good splitter and a conveyor being just as fast as a processor. I don't see how that's possible if your starting with unprocessed logs. With a splitter, you'd have to first buck a log, then load the rounds on the splitter, and do the splitting. In the time it would take you to just buck the log, a processor would be finished with the log. Or am I missing something.

In terms of versatility, what does that mean? If it means the ability to do bigger rounds,  I have my old splitter to do any really big rounds and really knotty wood. But I don't really get to many big or knotty rounds. Oh, like everyone else, I get the occasional rounds that seem to take forever to process. But I'd say that 99% of my rounds are straight and under 16 inches. Or did you mean something else by "versatility?

I'm not an engineer, so I don't know what to look for from that standpoint, so I appreciate your comments about that. I to think that the design concept has merit. But I don't know what to look for if I were going to change anything about it.

The way I see it, I don't compare the $7958 unit to any other processor, because there is no other processor anywhere near this price range. (The next step up price-wise is the Hus-Son Badger) I see this little $7958 unit as a step up from a splitter. Even if it were slower than a splitter, it still eliminates a lot of the handling and lifting involved in bucking and splitting wood. I'm thinking of doing just 20 to 30 cords a year. That isn't very much. That's just 2 to 3 truckloads of logs in a whole year. I think the big question is, "will it last". Will it stand up to the punishment of log after log slaming in to it and going through it. I'm trying to find out more about the company, to see how long they've been in business, and if they offer any referrals from people who have purchased this unit.

Thanks for you comments motohed. I'm learning a lot from this thread.

dON  <><

Hi Don
I am sorry I haven't replied to this post earlier . My reasoning is if the wood is delivered by a log truck an American super splliter with a log lift and  conveyer will be very fast . You will still have to buck the wood , but on the other hand you still will be able to load a truck . This combination what ever brand , will have a lot less maitainance . The processor  will cut the logs for you ,but you will need equipment to feed it . The other thing with processors is you will need a good supply of bar oil and fuel . Much more than your chainsaw ,splitter and conveyer combination . The other thing is the quality of wood most processors produce is substandard , as you can't control the wood coming out of the splitter on a processor as well . I can do 30 to 40 cord in fifteen days or less . The good splitter and conveyer combination  won't cost much more than the cheap processor . But the reward will be a much stronger setup , that will be  easyer to move and set up . I would also switch saws to a stihl ms 260 pro or 361 pro , or  husky equal . You will cut wood much faster with less over all effort on your part , trust me on this . A larger saw with a 3/8 pitch chain will stay sharper longer ,and horse power will get the job done faster . I know the work is some what hard ,but I have had both my neck and back , broken at different times and still do firewood . I also just had a total hip replacement on Dec 7 2009 , and I will continue to cut this way . I do about three hundred cords a year in firewood . I also have a lot of equipment , and do logging also so my firewood is the by product of logging , which are the tops . This brings up a known problem with processors , they really only like strait uniform logs . You may be able to find wood from tops for little to no money after a looging operation has been through , depending on the area you live . You may even be able to work a deal with the land owner to cut him some wood and get yours for free , or at least cheeper than the logs . This is my point off view , I have looked at many processors for the past twenty or so years  , multitek , cordking , timberwolf ,etc are all realatively good units but very expensive . I have never been able to justify eighty to a hundred thousand dollars for making firewood , with the overhead and repairs of a processor . This is my take on firewood processors and other will have different opinions I know .

Best Regards Scott

genesis5521

Hi Scott:

Thanks for your comments and opinions. Although I've been a cut'n and a split'n for a few years now,  my equipment, which is just a little Ryobi electric splitter, and my trusty Stihl chain saw, leave a lot to be desired. You've been at this a lot longer than me, so I  really value your suggestions. I haven't yet ruled out just getting a really good splitter like a Timberwolf with all of the goodies. But they make so many different models. I take it you use the American Super Split. I checked out their website. I watched all of their videos. Quite impressive. Their splitters are VERY fast. I liked that their website shows prices for each model. Their top-of-the-line "special edition" is under $4300 with a log lift. Which model do you use and what goodies do you have on it?

So you can produce 30 to 40 full cords of firewood in approximately 15 days with just a good splitter and conveyor. That's impressive. What make and model of conveyor do you use? Do you have a system for bucking your logs? I just buck my logs outside, then move the rounds (with my trailer) inside my pole barn to my little splitter where I unload and stack the rounds. So I've already handled the rounds twice. I'd rather work inside where it's warmer (on a cold day I heat my barn) or cooler (on a hot day I have a fan running). I'm amazed that you produce 300 cords per year with just a splitter and conveyor. Do you work alone, or do you have helpers? Hope your hip replacement is doing OK. Now you'll be out dance'n, prance'n, kiss'n and romance'n again. If you're married, take your bride along.

All of the processors I've been I've been considering had some type of mechanism to feed the logs in to the processor without the need for any support equipment. I like the idea (concept) of a processor. But I also like the "simplicity" of a splitter. I don't know if I could keep up with that Super Split.

I'm toying with the idea of building some sort of mechanism (it's called a "contraption" by us non-fabricators who don't know what we're do'n) which would deliver the rounds to the splitter. Not a log lift. I'm thinking more of a tray (or a conveyor with rollers and sides) where I could load say 15 to 20 rounds, then tilt one end up a bit as needed (maybe with a hoist or a jack) to get the rounds to roll (or slide) down to the splitter. Or even use some sort of hand crank to move the rounds down a conveyor belt. Wha-da-ya-thunk? Dumb idea?

Dyna Products makes a decent processor for around 20 grand with all the goodies. Their website shows prices for everything. But ya do need something to load the logs on to the live feed deck. Because I don't sell firewood, I never really considered its "quality". The guy in the video claims he can do a full trailer of logs in one day.
http://www.dyna-products.com/sc14_firewood_processor.html

Here's a video on the model sc14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIhu8duBb2o

Here's a poor mans log deck feed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWkNiLw859U&feature=related

Don  <><

motohed

Quote from: genesis5521 on January 03, 2010, 07:29:28 PM
Hi Scott:

Thanks for your comments and opinions. Although I've been a cut'n and a split'n for a few years now,  my equipment, which is just a little Ryobi electric splitter, and my trusty Stihl chain saw, leave a lot to be desired. You've been at this a lot longer than me, so I  really value your suggestions. I haven't yet ruled out just getting a really good splitter like a Timberwolf with all of the goodies. But they make so many different models. I take it you use the American Super Split. I checked out their website. I watched all of their videos. Quite impressive. Their splitters are VERY fast. I liked that their website shows prices for each model. Their top-of-the-line "special edition" is under $4300 with a log lift. Which model do you use and what goodies do you have on it?

So you can produce 30 to 40 full cords of firewood in approximately 15 days with just a good splitter and conveyor. That's impressive. What make and model of conveyor do you use? Do you have a system for bucking your logs? I just buck my logs outside, then move the rounds (with my trailer) inside my pole barn to my little splitter where I unload and stack the rounds. So I've already handled the rounds twice. I'd rather work inside where it's warmer (on a cold day I heat my barn) or cooler (on a hot day I have a fan running). I'm amazed that you produce 300 cords per year with just a splitter and conveyor. Do you work alone, or do you have helpers? Hope your hip replacement is doing OK. Now you'll be out dance'n, prance'n, kiss'n and romance'n again. If you're married, take your bride along.

All of the processors I've been I've been considering had some type of mechanism to feed the logs in to the processor without the need for any support equipment. I like the idea (concept) of a processor. But I also like the "simplicity" of a splitter. I don't know if I could keep up with that Super Split.

I'm toying with the idea of building some sort of mechanism (it's called a "contraption" by us non-fabricators who don't know what we're do'n) which would deliver the rounds to the splitter. Not a log lift. I'm thinking more of a tray (or a conveyor with rollers and sides) where I could load say 15 to 20 rounds, then tilt one end up a bit as needed (maybe with a hoist or a jack) to get the rounds to roll (or slide) down to the splitter. Or even use some sort of hand crank to move the rounds down a conveyor belt. Wha-da-ya-thunk? Dumb idea?

Dyna Products makes a decent processor for around 20 grand with all the goodies. Their website shows prices for everything. But ya do need something to load the logs on to the live feed deck. Because I don't sell firewood, I never really considered its "quality". The guy in the video claims he can do a full trailer of logs in one day.
http://www.dyna-products.com/sc14_firewood_processor.html

Here's a video on the model sc14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIhu8duBb2o

Here's a poor mans log deck feed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWkNiLw859U&feature=related

Don  <><

Hi Don
I actually have a Brute splitter and conveyer . I was a dealer back in the late 80's before they sold out to Timberwolf I also sold saw etc . I have replaced the engine once on the splitter , and have had to do nothing to the conveyer . I like the American stuff these days ,they are built well ,and are reasonably priced . I would get the model with the log lift , and the log pans . I would also get their mid length conveyer ,as well . I set the splitter and conveyer  up right close to my log pile . I cut some and split some , and it goes right into the truck . I do it out side , either early in the morning  or late in the afternoon when it's hot . I recently built a pole type barn with with just a roof , it's high enough to get my equipment under along with my truck . I also have the ability to put logs close with my equipment , so I don't have to move very far between cutting and splitting .  We put an old wood stove in under the roof  for winter , and there always enough short or junk wood to keep me warm . My wife will help me some times , but it's pretty easy to cut two or three cords by myself in the early morning . I really only have to handle the wood once by hand . I don't normally stack it as I sell most of it . I also have children that will stack it , if need be . The other th ing I do is make it a point to cut nearly every day or at least five days a week . You need to be disciplined to do this , I know . I also do logging as well , I am fortunate to have the equipment to fell and skid the trees , I also have a four man crew that works with me . The firewood is my deal , so I do all the work , or at least most of it . My son and wife do a lot of the deliverys as I move on to the woods by starting time . You are wondering what time I start , I know . Well I will tell you that I get to see the sun come up every morning I do firewood , and in the three or four hours of day light , I can do two or three cords and still get to the jobsite .

Best Regards Scott

motohed

Hi Don
I found a link to some plans for a processor , that could easilly be built for about 3000 to 4000 bucks .
www.millerswoodcutting.com , maybe this would help you , at least the saw is hydraulically operated . It would be a good start I would make it saw , and move the logs hydraulically . The basic principals are sound , a larger engine would make it a little faster . I would not want to try and make high production with it . Just a thought .

genesis5521

Hi Scott:

I've already checked out Miller's website. Here's a video on the plans for his homemade firewood processor. He built it on a really tight budget of just over $1600 using scrounged and used parts. I, like you, had thought about spending 3 to 4 thousand dollars and use high quality parts and a much bigger engine and better hydraulics to make this thing work really well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw4YLDpLWXM

You can view a sample of his plans including a materials list at:
http://millerswoodcutting.com/assets/1st%204%20pages%20of%20Processor%20Plans%20version%202.pdf

motohed

Yeah , I watched the video . I think some small inprovements could be made and it would work fine for a home owner .

Thank You Sponsors!