iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for advice on snow plow for tractor

Started by tree-farmer, January 31, 2010, 08:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tree-farmer

Does anyone have a good solution for a snow plow set up on a tractor? Have been using regular grading scrap which is ok on 4-5" stuff. When it get to a foot or better it just does not do that well. I have a Kubota L3400, it has a front bucket with a quick change latch on it. I think it will accept the Bob cat type attachments.
Would like to find a reasonably priced solution if anyone knows of anything or has had the same problem.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Chuck White

I would check with Kubota and see if they make a "power angle" snow plow attachment for your tractor/loader!

Those seem to be a very handy attachment, and the power angle helps you avoid a lot of back up, go ahead stuff while you're plowing!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

zopi

I spent most of yesterday plowing snow with a Cat skid steer and hydraulic highway broom..messy but fun...

concur with the power angle suggestion..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Larry

If you can weld a "V" plow is easy to build for the FEL.  It took about 1/4 of the time that it took to build my blade for the 3-point.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

beenthere

I went directly to the front end, as the FEL is easy/quick to remove.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sprucebunny

I made this one from an old Fisher manual plow and made the quick attach plate to mount on a green tractor (790)
One of the disadvantages is that a plow full of snow can push the front end of the tractor sideways when the blade is at an extreme angle. Chains on the front tires would help with that.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

beenthere

SB
I sure like that color.  8) 8)

And you do good work.

If mine tends to push, I just reduce the angle a bit to get some balance with the side push.

(however, there is more side push when the blade is out on the loader arms).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

Having the blade on the loader arms is nice , but can be real hard on the loader cylinders and arms if you do much plowing. It is better to have the plow attached to the frame .
Joan , this aint meant for you , I know how much pushing that plow does in a winter  ;)  The side pushing from the blade can do wonders to a loader ....  :o  They where not built for side action  ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Larry

Quote from: sprucebunny on January 31, 2010, 03:47:51 PM
One of the disadvantages is that a plow full of snow can push the front end of the tractor sideways when the blade is at an extreme angle.

That's why I made the "V" plow...I knew I didn't have near enough tractor to hold the line, even with a moderate angle in heavy wet snow.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Tom

I'm not a snow person and have zero experience, but why don't backyard manufacturer's make snow blowers?   Don't they move the snow without all of the stresses of a blade?

Captain

I prefer Beethere's setup for the reasons Marcel stated.  Even my big 9000lb IR BL375 can get pushed sideways by a blade full of snow.

Captain

stonebroke

Quote from: Tom on January 31, 2010, 05:44:52 PM
I'm not a snow person and have zero experience, but why don't backyard manufacturer's make snow blowers?   Don't they move the snow without all of the stresses of a blade?

Too slow Tom. You can push snow a whole lot faster then you can blow it.

Stonebroke

Dave Shepard

I have the bob-tach style coupler on my Kubota L-48, as well as aux. hydraulics on the front. I buy old Fisher plows and make a plate to go on the quick-tach. Usually have about $100 and 3 hours in them. I've gotten between $500 and $800 for them when I sell them. I've got another to make up, but I like sitting inside watching the snow come down more than welding in it. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

tree-farmer

Thank you for all the feedback, you guys are better than google.
This gives me a lot to look into and consider.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Reddog

Quote from: stonebroke on January 31, 2010, 05:57:48 PM
Quote from: Tom on January 31, 2010, 05:44:52 PM
I'm not a snow person and have zero experience, but why don't backyard manufacturer's make snow blowers?   Don't they move the snow without all of the stresses of a blade?

Too slow Tom. You can push snow a whole lot faster then you can blow it.

Stonebroke

Blowers work great when you need to move a foot or more at a time.
Plus you have no banks too deal with.

As does a large volume bucket.

beenthere

Quote from: Larry on January 31, 2010, 05:37:25 PM

That's why I made the "V" plow...I knew I didn't have near enough tractor to hold the line, even with a moderate angle in heavy wet snow.
Larry
The V plow gets you through the first pass, then how do you push the snow back further to widen the path? Would think the side push would come into play then. So you have a pic of the V plow you made? Maybe a second pass isn't necessary.  :)

I made the wing plow to push snow further back, and that has been very satisfying.  8)
south central Wisconsin

Larry

No picture...sold it when I moved to Arkansas.  Most time tryed to get by with one pass.  Of course that wouldn't work on a road where more width is needed.  If I wanted it wider, used the blade on the back.

What's a wing plow?  An attachment to the front?

thecfarm

Must differ on the snow blowing is slower.I have a Kubota BX 1800,18hp for that.No planing for the next storm for a place to put snow.Just blow what needs to be done,I just blew a seal in the tranny.So that tractor is done for a while.Out comes the big one.A 2120 Ford,40 hp.I cut off the quick detachment off the front of a truck and welded that on to a piece of flat stock and mounted that into the loader.I put another piece of flat stock on the back side of the loader too.I do have to get off and angle the blade by hand,but it moves real easy.I use to use it for the woods road before I moved here.By the looks of the plow someone else plowed wood with it.Good thing I kept it.But now I have to plan on future storms.Have to push the snow back more to make room for the next storm,Than all the snow up up the house goes to the other side of the driveway so we can see when someone comes.I really miss the snow blower.Still takes me 1½ hours to do it all.But I don't miss the snow blowing on me. Need to build a cab for it. I would much rather blow the snow than plow it.And with it being in the loader I can really push the snow back without getting close to a drop off.The loader sticks out 3 feet and the plow probably 2 feet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

stonebroke

Let me revise my previous statement , With a decent size tractor( 80 to 100 hp) Plowing is faster. With little tractors( 20 hp ) blowing is probably faster. They just don't have the weight and muscle to go fast plowing.

Stonebroke

beenthere

Quote from: Larry on February 01, 2010, 07:28:46 AM
No picture...sold it when I moved to Arkansas.  Most time tryed to get by with one pass.  Of course that wouldn't work on a road where more width is needed.  If I wanted it wider, used the blade on the back.

What's a wing plow?  An attachment to the front?

Wing plow, what I finished fabricating this winter, and it works great. Some more pics in my gallery. Also here:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,40844.msg588649.html#msg588649

Short vid of the maiden test run (so going slow, but sure  :) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4SJxqzm-hc
south central Wisconsin

isawlogs

Going fast with a wing down, would be a quick and easy way of breaking things . ( these things are normaly part of tractor , )  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dave Shepard

I took a couple of pics of my friends setup. I do something similar, but I don't spring for the pre-made plate, I scrounge some scrap and make my own. ;) It works well, but I haven't asked him how well the rubber tracks do on ice. :D I know my tractor with chains is brutal on snow banks, I usually plow in 2 wheel drive.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!