iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DIY Log tongs with pics

Started by pitotshock, February 15, 2010, 09:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitotshock

As some of you may know by now, I seem to like building stuff in my spare time. As I am pulling out a bunch of ash logs from the in-laws bush for cutting into lumber, I needed some log tongs to make a few things easier. Such as piling and skidding logs with the tractor.

Basically, I took some scrap that was lying around and in a few hours made up 2 sets of tongs.

Here are the tongs as built

and in use

I didn't get any pics of both sets in use at the same time, but we pile some logs using a set at each end and they seem to do OK in these ash logs up to about 15" in diameter

What do you guys think?
Stihl MS361, Makita DCS340

Tom

Fine job as long as they work.  Commercial tongs would have some curvature that would allow them to fit around and grasp a log, but it looks like you are getting the job done.  Probably didn't set you back a n arm and a leg either.

Just don't be lifting with them.  Somebody could get beneath the log and get hurt.   Good job. :)

pineywoods

Pitot, I think you stole my design, ;D There's 2 homemade grabs hanging on the back of my tractor. Been using them for years..As Tom suggested, mine have a curve to allow grabbing a larger log. I make them from old truck tie rods. I do use them for lifting, BUT I use 2 grabs, one fastened to each end of the bucket on my front end loader. Handy as a hip pocket on a sunday shirt for unloading logs off trailers that have side boards. Usually I can drop both grabs down over a log without even getting off the tractor..  when skidding, I attach a grab to the 3 point hitch, back up to a log, and drop the grab down over the log, again, never get off the tractor... I'll get some pics tomorrow..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

captain_crunch

Here is a pic of the tongs the boys are useing for Really big fish

M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Don K

That my man, is some really big tongs. They will grab a big tree.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

shinnlinger

Pito,

I like the tongs, and I want to see Piney's, but be REAL careful skidding with your 3 pt the way you have it set up, if the log snags on something, you can flip your tractor back on itself real quick.  Keep your hand on the 3pt control and foot on the clutch the whole time.  I welded an arm to a small counter weight, so the weight "runs interference" for the log.  Maybe you have something laying around like a small back blade that you can do something similar with.  YOu can always chain the log to your hitch there, but that kinda defeats the whole not getting out of your seat thing.

Here is my deal pulling a sheep shed, but you get the idea.

Good work!!!

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

CX3

I like your tongs.  But I also agree you need a skid plate so you dont hook the log butt on something, you really could flip your rig.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

pineywoods

here's a pic of my home-made tongs. Have 2 of them, made from truck front end tie rods.. Will have a video showing skidding and lifting with them soon as it warms up a bit. The chain between the 2 sides should be as short as possible, while allowing the grab to open all the way. Note that there is a stop welded on one side to keep the tongs from closing all the way. the video will show why.  Pitot, I very much agree with the previous posts. You need to lift the front end of the log off the ground, first of all for safety reasons, if that log hangs on a root, you are in for a wild ride. also it puts weight on the rear wheels of the tractor, better traction.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

pitotshock

Nice lookin' stuff!

If there is one thing I have learned its take safety advice from old guys who made a livin' in the bush. If they didn't work safe, they wouldn't have made it this far! or they have had a horse shoe stuffed up their ...

captain_crunch

Bigger set yet

This set don't hold as good as set behing 4-wheeler beings line off points intersects too low on opposing arm Both sets have loaded many a load of logs in their time But they are more Nostalgia things than tools. Ones behind 4-wheeler were posted as a spoof for fun. Way too big for what a Bellsaw is capable of sawing. But Hopefully tomorrow Duane and I are going to re-arch a small set for the mill
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

pineywoods

here's the ways I use my home made log grabs. The first video is skidding logs. It runs a little over a minute. The question has been asked, why not use chokers. While you are down on your hands and knees in the mud amongst the ticks, chiggers and snakes trying to push a choker under the log, I can be hooked up and halfway to the landing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laMEqN6bi5w

Never got off the tractor.  When I get to the landing, lowering the 3 pt to take the pressure off the grabs will usually let them fall off the log. Dirt on the log ? only about 2 ft long place near one end. I try to turn that on top on the mill and saw the dirt off with the first slab.

Next is the oft mentioned practice of lifting logs with grabs. That can get real hairy using a single grab. Here's a better way. I use this technique when unloading logs off of trailers with side boards, where forks don't work very well. Po mans log grapple.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90MVv9DFx20

Notice that the grabs have a stop welded to one side to keep them from closing up to less than about 8 inches.

pitotshock

looks cool, but when I tried to view the video I just get

"This is a private video. If you have been sent this video, please make sure you accept the sender's friend request."

???

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don K

Me too, piney, check your youtube viewer settings.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

thecfarm

I use chokers and a 3 pt winch because I cannot get to the trees.Right now I'm cutting my bog.I would not dare to drive on it.Most of it was froze over,but there are few places that has not.Quite often I don't want to drive right up to the tree because there are smaller ones there and sometimes I could not even get close due to rocks,uneven ground or bigger trees that I don't want to cut.I can see the quicker and easier part about the work and time about getting on and off the tractor by using tongs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

Fixed the permissions, sorry about that....

Magicman

Pictures tell the story.  The tongs/grabs must be widely arched to work properly, plus your "stop" is a nice touch.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!