iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally

Started by DanG, March 30, 2010, 03:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Finally, after 7 years of using my two Echo saws, I had to take the little CS300 to the shop.  It would fire up easily, as usual, and run strong for a couple of minutes, then suddenly die.  I couldn't crank it again until it cooled down for a while.  I called the dealer and he concurred with me that it was probably the coil and that it is difficult for the layman to install that properly, so I took it in.  When I dropped it off last Tuesday, I pointed out that the primer bulb was cracked and I would like that replaced too, but I knew that wasn't the problem because it had been cracked for a couple of years.  The saw doesn't need it, by the way. ::)  Anyway, it was ready for me to pick up by Thursday morning so I went to get it.  When I got there, he said the problem was the primer after all.  It has a little diaphram under it that had crack in it also, and that crack was opening up when it got hot.  I was out the door with a fixed saw, a six-pack of mix oil, 4 files,and a new scrench for under $37!

And that, my friends, is the value in buying your saw from a good dealer!  He was convinced that it was a bad coil when I got there, but his boys properly diagnosed the problem before throwing new parts and my money into it.  Not only that, but the owner knew exactly what they found on that saw, even though he doesn't work on them himself.  He stays behind the counter and does business with customers, but he knows what's going on behind that wall to his back.  Can you tell I'm happy with my Echo saws and my dealer? ;D 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ladylake

Great service like that is hard to find, most would tell you it cost to much to fix and sell you a new one.   And what's wrong with those Echo saws, I've already had 1 AV mount break in 8 years.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SwampDonkey

I'm no saw guru here DanG by a long shot, but when a saw acts up and no warrantee, I usually do my own work. I mean brush saws here, and I use Stihl. They are easy to work on from my perspective at least. But, what I was going to say is there may also be an air filter in your fuel cap that needs cleaning or replacing on occasion. That, the primer button and carburetor are all tied together. Correct carburetor operation is only possible if the atmospheric pressure and internal fuel tank pressure are equal at all times.

But your right about a good saw and a good dealer to boot. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bandmiller2

A good honest dealer that stocks parts is worth driving a little further,whatever the brand of prof. saw he sells.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

timber tramp

Cool, it's great to have good dealer support. That's why I've stuck with my Stihl's all these years. Once had the mechanic at the shop I use (not the closest one to me) stay until 1:00 a.m. on a Tuesday replacing crank seals in my work saw. (only had one saw back then) Good service indeed. Have'nt used another shop since, and I've referred everyone who's asked me to them.            :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

windthrown

Echos run OK, but over time they just plum wear out. I had a CS-3000, and a CS-300, and several others in that size. Thing is, when I had them, the 230 and 250 Stihls plain ran circles around them. I never liked the chokes on the Echos. Or the fact that the 3000 has the air filter up front where the chips fly. Or the outboard clutches. I hate outboard clutches. Also I know of few dealers that would service a saw like that here. Its cheaper to buy a new baby Echo saw here than to get one fixed.

For the price, they are what they are. For a cheap saw, they run good. But if you are used to running better pro saws, they fall short. No, the 230/250 are not pro saws either, and I ditched them as well for the 026 model saws. Now, you want a nimble and powerful light saw, the 026 is a great saw. But they are 3x the price of a 300 series Echo, so what the heck.
Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

MN Ripper

Its great to hear there are still honest dealers out there.  DanG would your CS-300 have the lifetime warranty on the ignition module like the newer Echo's?  Not that you needed it but curious, I have no idea when they started that warranty.  I'm going to purchase a Echo PAS this spring when the weeds & underbrush get taller and the dealer told me you still get the lifetime warranty on the ignition module like the saws plus a lifetime warranty on the drivecable. 
Echo CS-670, CS-330T, Stihl 028 WB

DanG

Quote from: windthrown on March 30, 2010, 02:18:49 PM
Echos run OK, but over time they just plum wear out. I had a CS-3000, and a CS-300, and several others in that size. Thing is, when I had them, the 230 and 250 Stihls plain ran circles around them. I never liked the chokes on the Echos. Or the fact that the 3000 has the air filter up front where the chips fly. Or the outboard clutches. I hate outboard clutches. Also I know of few dealers that would service a saw like that here. Its cheaper to buy a new baby Echo saw here than to get one fixed.

For the price, they are what they are. For a cheap saw, they run good. But if you are used to running better pro saws, they fall short. No, the 230/250 are not pro saws either, and I ditched them as well for the 026 model saws. Now, you want a nimble and powerful light saw, the 026 is a great saw. But they are 3x the price of a 300 series Echo, so what the heck.

"I ship Stihl saws down under and to north Europe... message me for details."
That's what I see at the bottom of your post, Windthrown.  Does trashing your competitor's products on a publicly accessed forum help your sales?  I wonder how the legitimate Stihl dealers feel about you selling them out of your garage with no overhead, and pawning the problems off on them?  Your opinion is worthless to me.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

fishpharmer

DanG fine saw and dealer you got there DanG. 8) 8)  I think I said this here somewhere before but it bears repeating.  I have a very good friend that is a mechanic at a small engine shop.  They are dealers for both Stihl and Echo.  He says they are both great saws but for his dollar he will buy an Echo because the warranty is so much better.  A good dealer, regardless of brand, or product is most often the deciding factor for me.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ladylake

Getting a little windy there Windy, you run a old reed vavle 30cc Echo a claim they're all junk.  After having worked on a lot of saws the junk ones are the home owner Stihl 170. 180  210 230 250 and my small Echo's will cut circles around that lot cc to cc. And if you want bring your 026 or 260 over and we'll run it against my CS520.  I own 3 Stihls, 2 Huskys, a bunch of Echo's ,1 Dolmar 2 Solos 1 Efco, not biased, just telling it like it is .       Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

:D It really doesn't make two shakes of a lambs tail who made the saw, if you like them who cares what anyone thinks about it .

I have one Echo ,old duffer ,302 I think .Compaired to say a 200T stihl or 335 Huskey it's slow but keep in mind it served in service for a tree company for decades .That fact alone says a lot .

The Echo brand is not one that is found in my area very much but neither are a few others . Fact is just last winter I tracked down some parts for a neighbor to repair his because there are no dealers locally .

SwampDonkey

Coming back to availability, I hear the Echo professional model brush saw is being discontinued. That's just rumour, as the guy I heard it from owns one and it was just rumoured to him also. Non-the-less Husky has changed and discontinued their pro brush saw model 3 times at least in a decade, where the Stihl FS550 has been around for 15 years. Gives me something to torment the guys who are loyal about them brands about. And torment I do. :D

Shoulda bought a Stihl boys, they got it right the first time. :D :D  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ladylake

What ever brush cutters has to do with this, even Stihl comes out with new models now and then and discontinue the old models. If you don't have a Echo dealer close by Echo parts can be ordered online and cost about half as much as over priced Stilh parts.  Steve

SwampDonkey

::) Relax before ya pull the trigger and realize I was just fun'n. Sometimes a fella just feels compelled to join in even if he has a brush saw and not a chain saw.  ;D Well, I do have a chainsaw to, but not a pro model, a husky55. Ok, I'll just stand by for another slap, while someone tells me how many thousand cords they cut last year. ::)

Mark K

We have 3 of them echo top handle saws, couldn't tell ya the numbers because there worn off. Most of them are over 6 years or older. They are very reliable and handy saws. I have a Stihl 192 that we use for a climbing saw because a we lost our Echo dealer. It's a nice saw also.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

ErikC

I agree about the dealer 100% Dang. I drive 45 min to see mine. He sells echo and stihl both, and considers some of the echo line superior to stihl. I don't remember what model #'S, but at any rate they are not junk. I have a little top handle with a 14" bar that is from the late 1980's, bought used. Very dependable, after who knows how many hours. And besides that, eventually they all just "plain wear out", don't they?
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

thecfarm

Can't complain on that a bit.I run a echo trimmer and have used alot.I have a mile of stone walls to trim and all the other stuff I do with it.Just replaced the cutting heads on it.Have gone through a couple on it.I always say the dealer really counts.I have no idea about the echo dealer,never had to use them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ihookem

I wish I knew of Echo a few months ago before I bought a Stihl 441. My new 441 starts about as hard as my  100 yr. old grandpa gets out of bed. It floods most the time. I heard Echo was all made in USA except the motor and the motor is made in Japan by the biggest 2 stroke motor company in the world. They should know something about 2 strokes. Windthrown, with a due respect, I think I disa gree with you on this one, even though you know a lot more about chainsaws than me. I wish I would have bought an Echo 680, just a little smaller and 150 bucks less. 

Mark K

ihookem- I bought a 441 when they first come out. Most miserable thing to get started smiley_furious3. After month of bucking logs on the landing it started to break in and now starts pretty good.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

miking

My cs-530 has relegated my 260 pro to the shelf, as has my 410 brushcutter to the fs350. I just bought a new echo blower a couple weeks ago as well, so you can imagine where the stihl blower sits. Echo is many great products these days.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

miking

Quote from: ihookem on April 02, 2010, 08:28:58 PM
I wish I knew of Echo a few months ago before I bought a Stihl 441. My new 441 starts about as hard as my  100 yr. old grandpa gets out of bed. It floods most the time. I heard Echo was all made in USA except the motor and the motor is made in Japan by the biggest 2 stroke motor company in the world. They should know something about 2 strokes. Windthrown, with a due respect, I think I disa gree with you on this one, even though you know a lot more about chainsaws than me. I wish I would have bought an Echo 680, just a little smaller and 150 bucks less.  

Sorry about the 441, but I'll bet you could sell it for near what you paid for it in a heartbeat and replace with with a 680 just as fast and keep the change. Mine is great after a minor tuning, as all Echo saws seem to need.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

SwampDonkey

I know one fella that has gone through 3 Echo saws in 4 years. I still can run my original Stihl FS550 I got in 2003 (have as spare) and I use my 2005 bought saw as my main saw. These saws are used 6 months a year day in day out, heat, rain, snow I cut in all kinds of weather. :)

ladylake

Without properly adjusting a new Echo saw they will burn up in short order if used hard, when adjusted right they last forever but there are poeple that can ruin anything fast.  Steve

LeeB

Why you wanna drag me onto this? :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ladylake

Quote from: LeeB on April 04, 2010, 11:47:18 PM
Why you wanna drag me onto this? :D :D

Your not the guy that can ruin anything are you, I thought that was my BIL.   Steve

Thank You Sponsors!