iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 029 oil leak

Started by oakwood productions, April 04, 2010, 09:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakwood productions

My brother in law has a Stihl 029 that is always leaking oil. Oil is always in his carrying case. He would like to know what can be done to stop his chainsaw from drowning in oil. Any ideas would be appreciated.

beenthere

oakwood
Something missing from the last post?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chainsawr

Pinpoint if it is leaking straight out from the chassis, out from the oil cap, or out the oiler hole by the bar.  Then go from there.  It would either be a pressure build up causing it or a straight physical path for the oil to leak out.
www.chainsawr.com

Over 50,000 parts in stock.

Selling excellent Dolmar chainsaws and power equipment.

High volume Oregon bar and chain dealer.

JohnG28

Ive got a smaller Husky that does this, leaves a puddle if left sitting with oil in the tank.  I figured out that I just crossed up the threads on the oil cap and thats where its leaking out, just havent got around to getting a replacement.  Might be a good place to look first.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Bruce Hopf

Depends on how mechanically inclined that you are. If the oil is getting inside the crank case, the gasket is leaking, and the crank case has to be split, to put in a new gasket. There is a bit of work to it.
If you can't do it yourself, you might have to put up with the leak, because it could be costly to fix, labour wise.
McCulloch
1-Pro Mac 60, 1-Pro Mac 700, 2-Mac 10-10 automatic's, 2-Mini Mac 30's, 2-Mac 110's, 2-Mini Mac 35's, 1-Mac 140 with Automatic chain sharpener, 1-Pro Mac 10-10, 2-Eagar Beaver 2.0's, 1-Mac 1-10
Stihl
2-044's, 2-034,s 2-024's, 1-064, 1-084
Strunk
1-Busy Beaver, 1-SpeeDemon Special

Thank You Sponsors!