iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husqvarna 346I hav

Started by oakwood productions, April 04, 2010, 09:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakwood productions

I have the original 346 saw but was wondering if the new model is really an improved version. I would like to buy a second 346 but would like to hear from guys using the newer saw. Thanks for your input.

Rocky_J

The newer 346 has a different jug with slightly larger bore and 50cc displacement instead of 46cc. The carb has a primer bulb to make it easier to start. Most body parts and the bottom half of the engine are the same. The 50cc version has more torque. I'm not a fan of the catalytic converter muffler.

My comments should be qualified by the fact that I don't own or run many stock saws. Every 346 I've owned has been ported before being put into service and some performed better than others. The only new style 346 I bought was a huge disappointment due to the lousy porting job and I sold it 6 months after getting it. I'm sure it would have been stronger in stock form than how it ran after being hacked on. But comparing stock to stock I think the new version is a big improvement overall.

Any new saw run in stock form will suffer from overheating and imminent lean seizure due to EPA restrictions imposed on saw manufacturers. They are no longer allowed to sell the saws set up for longest life or best performance. They must lean them out and choke them down to meet emissions restrictions. The best thing you can do for yourself when buying a new saw is to open up the muffler (if it's a catalytic muffler then buy the older style muffler and open that up) and retune the carb to deliver enough fuel so the saw won't lean seize in 6 months. I cannot help or offer any other advice for anyone running stock saws that have never had the carb adjusted properly.

Cut4fun

Rocky is it just me or does the NE346 seem to weigh more then the OE346?

To the guy asking, dont hesitate to buy the NE346. Look for the ones without the green fuel cap and cat muffler. If you cant find them, it will just cost you another $30-$40 for a non-cat muffler.

Rocky_J

Kevin, I never noticed any perceptible difference in weight, and I ran them side by side for 6 months. I had to look for the primer bulb to know which one I was picking up.

SawTroll

Quote from: Rocky_J on April 05, 2010, 01:28:33 PM
Kevin, I never noticed any perceptible difference in weight, and I ran them side by side for 6 months. I had to look for the primer bulb to know which one I was picking up.

There actually is about a halv pound weight differense, if you can feel it is another story....... ;)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!