iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oh Lord its hot

Started by riverswamp sawyer, July 15, 2010, 12:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riverswamp sawyer

What to do.......

Sawed most of the day yesterday and got a lot done. was almost 100 degrees but felt like 105 and so humid the ol Swamp sawyer was wore out at quittin time.

Have a lot of sawin that needs to be done but I am draggin today. Went to town this morning and when I drove past the sawmill had to look the other way in order not to have to see the log pile that needs cuttin.

Do the rest of ya'll in the south feel like I do and not saw every day or is it just me?

Maybe I just need to drink a Red Bull energy drink and get to work......

metalspinner

It sounds like you got dehydrated.  If your feeling down, please don't keep after it just because.

Start super early in the am, and knock off early.  Maybe come back early evening to finish up.

This spot was on the local news the other night...

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=126757

It's something simple enough that you can probably make it real quick on your own...
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

We start cutting brush at 6:00 am, if it's real hot we usually leave at noon or 1:00 pm and if it's cooler I like to cut to about 3:00 pm. I don't take much for breaks, except maybe 20 minutes for lunch and however long it takes to fuel the saw and possibly file. Got lots of water.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I use one of these.  It's amazing how well they work and how much cooler you are.

http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/ChillyPads.shtm
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

It was hot here today too!

The thermometer in the truck mirror read 93° when we finished up at 2:30 this afternoon.

Generally when it gets to 90°, we knock off regardless of the time.

We each drank between 3 & 4 quarts of ice-water.

When we got home, the AC was running and the house temp was right around 74°........N I C E!

Soon as the sweatin' stops I'll be in the shower!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bibbyman

We're not way down south but the heat index got up to 107 here yesterday.  I worked out until after 11:00 am sometime when the temperature got over 90 and heat index up to 100.  But I was trying to work slowly and keep out of the sun as much as possible.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

crackerhead

So hot and dry in NE Ga that the catfish have ticks on them now
"thars gold in them thar hills"  Dahlonega Ga ,site of America's first major gold rush in 1828

bandmiller2

Cracker,with the price of gold what it is theirs probibly more money in mineing than milling,are they still finding gold in your neighborhood.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

crackerhead

Too many of them flatlanders coming to the hills to make any money gold mining . Most weekends and during the week also IF you wanted to do any panning you would have to take your own rock to the river to stand on . Still a lot of gold here but cost of mining offsets the profit margins [if any] So I just let the outsiders do their panning and I keep playing with the frick mill , looking after my cows and tinkering with my antique tractor collection
"thars gold in them thar hills"  Dahlonega Ga ,site of America's first major gold rush in 1828

Cedarman

We have a 45 x 120 mill building with south openings and a small north opening.  Also 12 foot ceilings.  The ceiling is metal roofing with 6" of insulation over it.  No heat to beat down from the top. Fans keep people cooler than you would think.  We go from 7 to 3:30 and don't miss a beat.  96 yesterday.  Now working in the log yard is not fun.  Most work is done before noon.   
Best thing to do besides staying hydrated andd working in the shade is to not listen to the TV tell you how hot it is and how you should stay inside.  You northerners work in below 0 degrees F and dress appropriately.  Same for working in the heat.  Be prepared and know your body.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

bandmiller2

Cracker,are you brand loyal in your tractor collection or any old one you can find.??Up until reciently I had eight 2 cyl deeres stabled, now I'am down to six with one of them a Case.Never considered myself a collector,more a user,just sold off all my haying equip. Frank C.

DanG

Quote from: Cedarman on July 16, 2010, 06:28:49 AM
  You northerners work in below 0 degrees F and dress appropriately.  Same for working in the heat.  Be prepared and know your body.

If you dress appropriately for this heat, everybody will know your body!  :o :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Chuck White

That's what I was thinking too, Dang!   ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Papa1stuff

Well ,at my age you don't have anything to hide ,so guess I can dress for the heat,I kind of like the heat as I have worked on Asphalt all my life .The 350* temp of the asphalt and the air temp makes for a lot of heat ,so without the asphalt  the air heat isn't that bad.
Now the roofers are another topic :D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

DanG

Nothing like 350 to make 100 seem cool! :o :o  I can't imagine working that stuff in the summer, though I could have at one time.  The older I get the less tolerant of the heat I get.  When I was a teenager, I had a summer job painting gasoline storage tanks for Texaco, using aluminum paint.  I don't remember the heat bothering me at all.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Chris Burchfield

As a toe head, bear foot all summer except for Sundays, @ 10 years of age and before we got an air conditioner. I don't remember getting or being hot.  Now, at 52, 280 lbs, 95°F and the Memphis humidity pushing the heat index to 105, if I stand in the sun, it's like cooking whole hog.  I don't like whole hog. I don't mind shoulders, butts or ribs.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

paul case

Quote from: crackerhead on July 15, 2010, 08:53:19 PM
Quote from: bandmiller2 on July 16, 2010, 06:34:01 AM
Cracker,are you brand loyal in your tractor collection or any old one you can find.??Up until reciently I had eight 2 cyl deeres stabled, now I'am down to six with one of them a Case.Never considered myself a collector,more a user,just sold off all my haying equip. Frank C.
I keep playing with the frick mill , looking after my cows and tinkering with my antique tractor collection

crackerhead, that sounds like me.
im no collector either but i do like old tractors. i have 5 IH, 4 case 1 allis and 1 ford. all run and work well and dont eat unless i use them. would sure like to see your collection rusty or not. i like them almost as much as milling. 
to make this relevant, the ac in my baler tractor was keeping it a balmy 80 yesterday, but that kept me from having a heat stroke when i had to get out in the 95 and humid sweatty oklahoma air. pc

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

riverswamp sawyer

Well Fellers, Its friday lunchtime been sawin hard since around 6:00 Just finished up the cherry logs and have some pretty lumber and some not so pretty lumber for the customer to come pick up.

Today was a heck of a lot better then the last few days....... seems a little cooler then it did this time yesterday.

My ol dog (the only one that has stayed with me while it was so hot at the sawmill) don't even seem as grouchy as we were last few days......... maybe he knows its friday?

Life is Good..........

riverswamp sawyer

Mr. DanG as hot as it is here if ya dress appropriately all ya would have on is tennis shoes and a frown....... the frown would be on account of all the saw dust on body parts that usually would'nt see saw dust  :o

Chuck White

Quote from: riverswamp sawyer on July 16, 2010, 12:22:56 PM
Mr. DanG as hot as it is here if ya dress appropriately all ya would have on is tennis shoes and a frown....... the frown would be on account of all the saw dust on body parts that usually would'nt see saw dust  :o

RS, Even I kind of doubt that.

I've had sawdust in places where you'd never imagine.   :-X  That's even completely dressed.  ::)

Sawdust has a way of getting into tiny places.  :D

Cheers, and stay cool or rest often.

SwampDonkey

Kind of like sticking a brush saw into a maple clump. It's possible to get a mouthful of sawdust if the blade is turned just right.  My pants pockets get a few ounces of sawdust to. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

crackerhead

Not particulary partial to any one color [like the "Green "ones a litter better tho].Right now my collection consists of a1935 1936 [2]1937 [3]1938 unstyled B John Deere ,1937 unstyled A john Deere .1945 styled A John Deere 1958 Model 60John Deere ,1948 M john Deere ,1958 model 330 John Deere [1 of only 1090 built] 1947 MT John Deere ,1945 H Farmall ,1952M Farmall ,1935 F-12 Farmall ,1936 F-12 Farmall,1948 Model G ALlis Chalmers and a 1929 Caterpillar 15 Crawler . All run and are restored  also  a 2955 John Deere . 4440 John Deere ,and a Massey Ferguson 30b[ my working tractors]

bandmiller2

Cracker,thats some collection,my hats off to you.Its good to have folks preserving the old machinery.All mine are pretty much users JD 420,JD40,JD60,JD70 diesel,420 crawler and a Case 310 with loader. That 330 deere is a real collectable.Frank C.

Tug Hill Walt

Cracker, I've heard the term unstyled, but just what does it mean???

And just a thought for some of our older members, a friend of mine wanted to get some extra work done Wed. high humidity, high heat endix, His funeral is Sun.

Bibbyman

Another thing...  I bet I'm not the only one on the Forum taking medications.  Mine is for hypertension.  I don't do well out in the bright sun and heat because of some of the pills I take.  I've been fighting dehydration all summer. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!