iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trade card

Started by Dave_, December 24, 2010, 01:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave_

I came across this awesome Victorian trade card and thought I would share it.  I have it as my desktop even though I don't own a Lane & Bodley ;D

captain_crunch

M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Dave_

I love old Victorian trade cards.  They were not just a cold business card but rather a work of art.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Nice card I love those sort of things I suspect Frank BM2 Would love to have it as his screen saver He has a Lane/Chase combo mill but its abit later model than the one in the card  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

SwampDonkey

Don't let Jeff see it, he'll need it for his personal collection.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bandmiller2

Your right Chris I love that old machinery,had a steam boiler about that size on my first mill with an 8 1/2"x11" Ajax engine about a 5' flywheel on it.Got tired of getting up in the night to keep the boiler warm in the winter,used it in the summer and diesel in the winter. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Gday

Frank I love steam powered mills but I have only been around one but only worked on it for afew hrs over a couple of days it had an old Fowler 10hp running it with a Canadian twin rig with flatop carriage and a breast bench the whole mill was timber framed the Bousie the old bloke only fired it up every now and then but still had it setup where it always had been and it was rite next to his new mill His dad and uncles had put it in in 1949 and it ran full time untill the late nineties and had sawn a power of wood in that time   ;) ;D 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Dave_

sigidi

Imagine one of our 'current' portable sawmills sitting next to one of those, what a leap in human ingenuity from one to the other
Always willing to help - Allan

thecfarm

Beautiful. Probaly would be out of my price range at any antique store I would walk into.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

It would surprise you, maybe someone's great grand dad worked there one time with a whole stack of them cards, now sitting in an old trunk, if not tossed into the trash by now.  ::) Be worth standing in line at an Antiques Road Show in Ohio to see what they appraised at. I wouldn't trust anyone around here to give an honest estimate. Most local shops wouldn't have a clue anyway or try to swindle them. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dave_

These are reproductions and not originals.  I would not even want to guess what the cost of an original would be.

The Lane and Bodley can be found here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/CIRCULAR-SAW-MILL-LANE-BODLEY-STEAM-ENGINES-CINCINNATI-/360332712071

The Blandy can be found here:
http://archivalcollections.com/collections/populargraphics/032/032009-Blandys_portable_steam_engine_and_saw_mills_Zanesv.html

Dave_

By the way, the Lane and Bodley print is 15" x 18"  This is more like a trade poster :D.  The quality of the reproduction is stunning.  I look forward to framing it.  The Blandy can be purchased in different sizes.

captain_crunch

Dave
Knock it off with the Trade Cards I am running out of Ink fer my printer ;D >:( :(
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Dave_

I feel your pain, brother :D

captain_crunch

Dave
How be things down south ??? I used to work for Watermasters and we done lots of work down your way So whereabouts are you I might have done work close to you.
Them are some neet pics and Ole Duane just loves them but he can't figure out where I come up with some of the information that I do. He don't understand the information available to you on computer

Dave_

Yeah, that magical box that kinda looks and works like a typewriter but makes you pull out your hair at the same time ;D

I'm out in Melrose.  We had a pretty good skiff of snow New Years eve.  I'm sure you guys got it heavier.  We had the family get together at 6:00 p.m.  It was wet and no sign of snow.  Around 9:00, somebody looked outside and said, "It's snowing hard outside."  We all laughed and said, "Whatever."  We went out and saw about 1-1/2 inches on the ground.  Came with no warning.  We got about 3 inches here in the valley.  How bout you guys?

captain_crunch

You beat us on the snow we had freezeing rain on what snow we had. Know where Melrose is alright. Boss's Dauhter and Son in Law worked for Kruse Farms till they started their own up by Corvallis. Their Son Nolan was known as the Terror of first Grade in Melrose school ::) ::) I need to be up at mill sawing but till the freezeing fog lifts hard to get very enthuased is only 32 deg but being damp feels like 700 below 0 ;D ;D

Dave_

I was probably known as the terror of Melrose School myself...about a hundred years ago  :D

captain_crunch

Then you proably know the Bailys (the vet till he died) who live on the old Jones place right where Kruse's veggie stand is

Dave_

Oh yeah, we know them.  Blair took over the practice.

captain_crunch

I installed their water filter system and kinda took care of water problems for them and their daughter nicest people you are likely to ever meet. You working on any of your mill projects?? I been sawing and trying to keep ahead of buddy who is building a truck shop. But the blasted Sheep keep dropping lambs all over the place and just keeping up with 30 of them keeps me busy :( :( :(

Dave_

I'm trying to heal up ($) from Christmas.  My next project is to change my drive over to hydraulic so, I'm kinda dead in the water until I get all the gear installed.  I'll put up pics when I "get 'er done" :D

sigidi

Quote from: Dave_ on January 05, 2011, 01:47:28 PM
I'm trying to heal up ($) from Christmas. 

That is too true, so DanG funny too, I know where ya coming from ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

SwampDonkey

I didn't know Christmas was suppose to be that hard. :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!