iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Softwood in S.E. Missouri

Started by Magicman, January 11, 2011, 09:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

OK, this is a broad question.  I have a customer that is planning to haul over 100 logs from Pottersville, Missouri (West of W. Plains, Mo.) to his building site in Mississippi.  I told him that I wasn't interested in pulling my sawmill to Missouri to saw the job.

My question is; what kind of pine/etc. is common to that area.  Will it be different from the SYP that I normally saw?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

You reckon there aren't any sawmills in MO? 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

I actually made that suggestion and offered to try to find a sawyer for him, but he wanted me to saw his lumber.   :)  OK by me.  $$$

This job is shaping up to be interesting.  I will not be totally surprised if it falls through, but suppose it doesn't  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Are you thinking he will come to his senses before it happens?  or in the early to mid stages of moving the logs? :)

Will make for another interesting adventure. But those are right down your alley. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

You must come highly recommended. Maybe he's expecting more than others will offer. Who knows.  :)

I believe there is a species of SYP out that way. I don't think it would be red pine, pitch, or white. Prob. shortleaf pine.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

Short leaf the only one in the area.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

Shortleaf is good.  A little sticky, but good.   :)

chain

Quote from: Magicman on January 11, 2011, 08:58:45 PM
Shortleaf is good.  A little sticky, but good.   :)

Let's hope you don't get a load of that knotty field pine :o I use to saw up some of our SLP , of course I picked out the tallest, clearest trees I could find and they sawed-up like a dream. I'm thinkin' I kept a mist water spray to handle the resin. But the knotty stuff...oh brother!

Thank You Sponsors!