iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DIY Log and timber frame plans/ forum fundraiser

Started by Thehardway, January 13, 2011, 10:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thehardway

It seems like we spend a whole lot of time here on the forum discussing floorplans, designs, layouts and structural engineering.  The idea occurred to me that if those of us who have built something from our own concepts and plans were to compile all of them and provide a sketch, dimensions, cut list etc. along with a couple as-built photos we could offer them to others who are looking for plans and who would be paying for them elsewhere. It would be a nice feature, they could make a donation to the forum in exchange for free plans and the great support offered here.  Most of us have built garden sheds, workshops, barns, cabins, and woodsheds saw ponies, shaving horses, tables, and misc. furniture, tools etc..  All of this could be used for the greater good of the forum community.  Does this sound interesting, reasonable, feasible?  Not trying to put any architects out of business here, just help some folks get started with affordable project plans and ideas.  Additionally I think it would just be neat to see all of the members completed projects with plans in one categorized place area.   What say you?
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

icolquhoun

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Jim_Rogers

I would be ok to adding some plans for my saw horses to this list.

The only way that I can see this working is that there needs to be someone to take this on and run it. Someone has to store the plans and deal them out to the users/visitors who want them after they have paid the forum for them.

It should not be handled in this section. It should be in the commerce section; either under services or standard "for sale" items. But you can post a note here and I can make it "sticky" to the top.

And each set of plans should have a release or something that protects the provider of the plans and the forum from any legal action.

I am not volunteering for the job.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Stephen1

I've always believed if you came up with the "idea" you have also "volunteered to run the idea"
Good Luck to the   thehardway, and if you need any help, I will volunteer to help you :P
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thehardway

I would be happy to volunteer if I had the know how and ability but sadly my computer skills are lacking and my schedule is full until I finish my house and get moved in.  I see Jim's point and it is well made.  We don't want someone building a plan designed for Mississippi collapsing under snow when built in Wyoming and the owner trying to sue the FF or the plan poster.  Maybe we have a lawyer out there somewhere who could assist?  I'm definitely not qualified for that part.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Stephen1

That is a valid point from both of you, but it is still a great idea. i also don't have a lot of Computer skills. Moderators what kind of skills would we need?

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Stephen1 on January 17, 2011, 12:52:50 PM
Moderators what kind of skills would we need?

I'll have to think on that for a while....

sbatch

I see you have started a plan repository. I am actually looking for plans for a side entrance barn 24X36. Possibly a queen post. I will be using white pine, mlling my own logs with a Woodmizer. Is there anyone who could hook me up with pans for a bent that I could work with. Thanks
Skip

Jim_Rogers

I have drawn one of those before.

And I'd be happy to help you in any way I can.

sbatch

I would be interested in what you have for plans, looks like you are in my area.

Jim_Rogers

You need to contact me directly with either jrsawmill (at) version.net or call me.

Thank You Sponsors!