iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Transporting logs across state lines

Started by UpInATree, January 13, 2011, 09:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpInATree

I cut down some large scrub pines in Southern FL a couple weeks ago, and I am making a trip to MA with my flatbed trailer next week.  Question is about legality and regulations.  Can I transport these trees which died from the Pine Bark Beetles or is there a quarantine like we have in MA with the Asian Longhorn Beetle?  I do not wish to be breaking any laws for a few saw logs.  Thanks

Wood-mizer LT70HD D55 Wireless, Wood-Mizer ED-26, A whole bunch of Stihls. Alaskan Mill 74",  Bucket Truck, Log Truck, Chippers, trailers, dump trucks,   Kubota M9540, L3010D and B7510. Cord King.   Learning Timberframing under Jim Rogers

Magicman

Great question, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  I want to know the answer also.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ID4ster

How long have they been dead? More than likely the beetles have departed the logs and so there won't be any
critters to transport. You could peel the bark off the tree (if it hasn't already fallen off) and transport the logs that way. Bark bettles live just under the bark and feed on the cambium layer so there shouldn't be any problem with bettles that have bored into the wood. Where you may run into problems is with states that restrict the transport of firewood within their borders. They may consider your logs firewood and prohibit you from transporting them through their state.
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

Ironwood

I dunno either, but want to come for the ride on the thread.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Magicman

I know that some of our SYP first thinning logs are being hauled to the Monroe, La. paper mill.

I have a saw customer that said that he was going to haul saw logs from Missouri to Mississippi for sawing.  They would pass through Arkansas and Tennessee.  We will see.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Just a story by County lines in Maine.Was no laws like this when my father and me was cutting wood about 10 years ago.I had some guy come in to cut my land.I'm just about on 3 County lines.My mailing address is in Franklin County,but some of the wood was being cut in Kennebec Co.He filed an intent to harvest and got a notification that Franklin white pines logs could not be transported into Kennebec Co.Just a phone call got it all straighted out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

Best to check with your State's Dept. of Agriculture on current quarantines.
~Ron

Mooseherder

I wouldn't move them.
This is the stuff I pick up for my fire pit.
There is plenty of larvae under the bark.
Moving that stuff north wouldn't be wise.
If you need to get rid of them let me know.

estiers

You should also be asking SHOULD you move them?  There may not be any regulations on the movement of your logs, but your logs could help to spread the beetle that killed them to a different part of the country.  Just some food for thought.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Samuel

If you were in Canada I could tell you the answer, but not sure of the regs in the US.  But Welcome to the forum...
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

grweldon

I'm not sure if this has been discussed recently and I know this is an OLD thread, but I want to pile on.  It seems there was never really a direct answer.  I resurrect the thread because I am not facing a similar situation.  I visited my cousin's daughter's place this weekend as she was watching her grandchildren.  Their parents were on vacation in Hawaii and I took the opportunity to visit their place in Tennessee.

My cousin's daughter and her husband own a horse and are enlarging their pasture.  I happen to look out to where the woods are being cut and there is a topless cherry log about 18" diameter (small end) and at least 14' long to the crook.  There is also a 12" diameter, 12' long log next to is.  I cringe when I see that they are cutting it in to pieces to throw on the burn pile!

I called foul and asked if I could have the log so I can mill it.  I figure the two logs are close to 275 bf.  Now I have a question if I can even MOVE the log OR the sawn wood from Tennessee through Georgia to my farm in Alabama.

I have searched on the internet and found mostly stuff relating to firewood.  I also found this thread (imagine that).  I'm not sure how to determine if I can transport sawn lumber (or the log) to my home.  Anybody have any ideas?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Shotgun

Quote from: grweldon on March 07, 2016, 01:50:53 PM

I have searched on the internet and found mostly stuff relating to firewood.  I also found this thread (imagine that).  I'm not sure how to determine if I can transport sawn lumber (or the log) to my home.  Anybody have any ideas?
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Shotgun

Quote from: Shotgun on March 07, 2016, 04:13:04 PM

See Ron Scott's post above.

Shotgun

Quote from: Shotgun on March 07, 2016, 04:13:04 PM

See Ron Scott's post above.

grweldon

Thank you shotgun.  I did that before I posted.  Can't find what I'm looking for...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

doug olsen

Quote from: Samuel on January 18, 2011, 12:32:11 PM
If you were in Canada I could tell you the answer, but not sure of the regs in the US.  But Welcome to the forum...
OK, Sam., I'm from Canada and just to the south of you.....so could you tell me what the regs are ???
LT 15/portable trlr., 580 Case hoe/thumb, JD 570 Skidsteer (bkn.) 500 Rubicon quad

crazy

I think it's best to check before you make the trip.  I want to bring down some Doug Fir from Oregon.  They check when you cross the border into California.  I don't know what it is like in other states but know they check in CA.

ppine

You better check with the two states and those in between. The transport of firewood has been responsible for the spread of many pests that infect forest trees.  You may be able to spray them with a product like Lindane and cover them with a tarp to comply with the law. It is otherwise not responsible to take beetle infected trees across state lines.

I lost a big Austrian pine in my yard to some beetles. It has been down for a couple of years, but every time I bring some wood into the house to burn it, all sorts of insects fly out of it.

Forester

caveman

JMoore and I were dealing with this same issue back in March.  I looked on line and did not find the information I was looking for.  What I did was call the agriculture inspection station on I-75 that we would have to pass through when we entered Florida with a load of logs.  I got the inspector's name and he ensured me that he would be working on the morning we came through.  He told me to print and fill out a bill of laden and that if the logs were coming from a neighboring state (Alabama or Georgia) that there would be no problem.  It would probably vary depending on the state (s) you will be passing through.  You may get your answer from the ag departments of each state.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!