iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boat rebuild

Started by jim king, January 19, 2011, 10:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim king

I just ran across some photos of a boat rebuild I did a few years ago.  This was an old 15 foot trihull that we dug out of a river bank.  Tore it down to the shell and started over.

The windshield and the rub rail etc. are made of Bloodwood.  Fun project.

Weekend_Sawyer

That's a beautiful boat. Nice work.

What is in the background of the first picture a rickshaw?

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

jim king

QuoteWhat is in the background of the first picture a rickshaw?

That is our public transportation system.  We have about 20,000 in town they think.  With luck half have brakes or lights.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Jim thats a bloody nice looking rebuild you did a grand job on that boat Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8) have you still got it ???

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

jim king

Meadows

It is under a tarp in the corner of a warehouse at the mill.  After a few thousand hours I have spent on the river I think it will stay there.  Seen enough water for a life time.

fishpharmer

The boat looks great!  What kind of outboard did you run?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

jim king

H60 Hawk Pilot

Great Job on the Boat.

I've been to Peru and enjoyed my stay there in Oct. 1993.  It's not my business but was wondering how you picked Peru ?  Don't answer me... if an improper question. My reason for asking was based on the fact that Peru is place of real adventure for people and not on the regular tour map circuit for most folks. Peru can be dangerous to your health, you've got some bad guy's down there and can be a little risky at times.  Sort of depends on your location (in Peru) there and your situation with the locals.

Avery
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

jim king

Avery:
Long story.  I was in West Africa for 8 years and had to leave the area as the General I was working with got taken out and it got a bit tricky being on the wrong side..

From there I went to Colombia for 8 years and Brazil one year all on the three frontiers area.  We then came to Peru about 20 years ago and have been here working in wood ever since.  Peru has changed a lot since you were here, it is normally quite peacefull now except where the drugs are dominent which is most of the outlying area now.

Tingo Maria is now just about tamed and the Shining Path are history.

Iquitos was just named as one of the top ten must see places in the worls by CNN and others.  Times are changing.

http://livinginperu.com/news-13782-travel-tourism-iquitos-among-cnn%e2%80%99s-top-2011-destinations

H60 Hawk Pilot

Great to Hear Time's have Changed in Peru since 1993.

Now, I ain't as Worried about You and... still a... Nice Job on the Boat  :D .

Avery
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

Thank You Sponsors!