iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ideas to reduce checking in log railings/furniture

Started by jaythecelt, February 02, 2011, 11:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaythecelt

About three years ago I built a railing using 10" dia x 4ft sassafras logs for posts.  The logs were air dried for only about 6 months, so I expected checks.   But the checking on one of the posts it is so severe it is splitting in half and will have to be replaced.  I have a replacement post that has been air drying for about 18 months - so far no checks.

I like the idea of using logs for railings and furniture, but don't want to have to wait 2 years for the logs to air dry.  Is there anyway, besides careful air or kiln drying, to reduce checking?  Would boring a large diameter hole through the center of the post relieve some internal stresses - or would it make the checking worse?
-J

Poulan 2750
Stihl MS390
Stihl MS650

breederman

Welcome to the forestry forum :) I don't think you can do to much about the splitting,They add "rustic charm"  I have a six inch pine post in my family room that you can stick your finger in from top to bottom, it still holds the upstairs up just fine. I like it. :) :P
Together we got this !

CampD

I build some log furniture and have done stair railings. What I find that works bests is to seal the ends as soon as I cut them to size (I keep a little paint pot with me) at least 2 coats of log sealer. Your going to get some checking, especially on the larger dia pieces. On those I force clear chaulking in as soon as I notice the crack starting. Takes some vigilance, but its worth it.
Doug,..... Nicoll Carpentry LLC

jander3

Time seems to work best.  I have piles of poles that have been cut and are drying for future projects.  When I need something I dig into a pile that is two years old.   Some may have checks, but at that point they are a couple of years old and I don't have to deal with shrinking in joints.   

Never had much luck with recently cut stuff.

jaythecelt

-J

Poulan 2750
Stihl MS390
Stihl MS650

Thank You Sponsors!