iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making 3068 Rough Sawn Barn Doors

Started by Planman1954, February 24, 2011, 07:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Planman1954

Hey everyone. As I'd said in earlier posts, I'm trying to chronicle the building of my goat barn all along the way. I guess ya'll remember the wood shingle thread, and just recently the 4 board fence thread. Well, since I finished the fence last week, it's time to take on the barn doors. I've got 15 to make. They'll all be made the same to save time.
I decided to use 1 1/2" Rough Sawn stock straight from the Norwood, and 3/4" Panels straight from it as well. Each door will have one lower panel 42" high and 26" wide, and an upper safety glass insert 18" high x 26" wide:

Anyway, like I said, I began about 4 months back by cutting a number of logs into 1 1/2" x 5 1/2" stock. I cut a few boards 1 1/2" x 12" wide, some, 1 1/2" x 4", and a number of pieces 1" thick x 4" wide. Then I cut some really wide boards from the center of some logs to about 13" wide x 3/4" thick.

After they air dried (then until now), I began ripping only one side of the 1 1/2" x 5 1/2" stock to a finished width of 5" on my table saw. Then I ripped the 12" wide stock to 11 1/2" wide, and the 1 1/2" x 4" stock to 3 1/2" wide.

Next step was to cut the stock to length. The doors are 80" tall (standard size) and 36" wide. So the 1 1/2" x 5" wide sides were cut to 80" long:

Then I cut the rails 26" long. This gives the finished width of 36". The top rail is 1 1/2" x 5" x 26" long, the rail under the upper glass is 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" x 26" long, and the bottom rail is 1 1/2" x 11 1/2" x 26" long.

Here's all the pieces ready to be put together. (BTW, I'm not worried about the thickness of all the parts being perfect. These are for a barn, and a rustic look goes well. When I built my house, I used surfaced material and raised panels for all my doors assembled with dadoes and dowels...a lot more work than what I'm showing here.)

The next step was to drill for dowels at all the butt joints of the stiles and rails. I used my 30 year old Stanley doweling jig...it still works perfectly. I began by making the points to drill with the jig and each intersection:

Then I used a 1/2" Drill bit and made the holes:

Here's a photo of the pieces with all the holes drilled, ready for assembly:

I began the glue up of the frame:

Here's the frame glued up:

Then I glued up the 26" wide x 42" high lower panels out of the wide 3/4" stock. I used3 biscuilts at the joint between the two wide boards instead of just a butt joint for good strength. (Also one other thing. The reason the lower panel is so tall is because the barn is for goats, and I don't think it would be a good idea to have them bouncing off of the glass in the top part of the door.):

The next step was to use 1/2" x 3/8" strips nailed and glued around the upper and lower openings. After nailing it on one side, I flipped the door over, inserted the lower 26"x42"x3/4" thick panel, and placed the strips on the other side to hold it in place....It seemed to work fine...very sturdy. Here you can see them up close. (Of course, since the safety glass is not in the door yet, the little trim piece is only on one side for now. After I get some glass cut, I'll lay it in over silicone caulking, the nail in the little strip on the other side.):

The next step is to make the jamb from the 1"x4" stock. I've already ripped it to 3 1/2" wide for the casing as well as the trim inside and out. My siding will butt the door trim on the outside and the inside, so that's why the jamb is only 3 1/2" wide.

I guess that's all for now. 4 down...11 to go!

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Jasperfield

Well, it looks good and you're making progress. Looks like a door factory.

Are you going to build an assembly table before or after you make all the doors?

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Dave Shepard

I read the titles as "Making 3,068 Rough Sawn Doors" :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Planman1954

Ha, ha! 15 is bad enough!. The reason I did it that way is so that anybody reading it would not think it was about making large roller type barn doors...just standard 3'x 6'-8" doors.

And, oh, what is an assembly table for? :D I always use what's handy...in this case, my table saw! 8)

Mooseherder

I love your Doors Planman. :)
Looks like a great project and saving a lot of money too!

WDH

I thought the table saw was an assembly table  :D.  Mine is too, sometimes.  Nice post on those doors. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Your project should be an inspiration for others.  You can't complete them unless you tackle them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Planman1954

Thanks Magic. Kind of excited since I bought 4 of the 8 windows I need for the barn today. Wanted to go ahead and get them so that I can finish off the back area of the barn with the doors and siding so the animals will be protected. The place backs up to some woods and a creek where all kinds of rough critters live...not the nice kind like Ellee Mae had! Be great to see some finished walls..BTW, I'm looking forward to watching your addition progress.

Burlkraft

Looks good P.M.    8) 8)

Your goats are gonna have a pretty nice home.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Chuck White

Nice looking doors there Planman!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Doc Hickory

I'm thinking about auditioning to be one of your goats...
Feed a fire, starve a termite...

fishpharmer

More great reasons to own a sawmill!  Nice work Planman, thanks for showing all the pics. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!