iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry Processing Head for 13,000lb Excavator

Started by Rusty1, March 19, 2011, 03:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty1

Looking to do some some small wood lot management..Have a DooSan DX 55 excavator...
Would like to put a head on the DX55 to select cut,process,&pile..
Are looking at the Hakmet (K2) 275 Roller Head...
Anyone doing the same with any info would be appriciated..
Or
anyother idea's for the same job , chime in...

Bobus2003

I have seen Video, and Pictures of some small Kesla heads mounted on some small machines.. I have a Patu (Kesla) 410SH on a 1600 Link Belt (20,000lbs operating weight w/head) and it throws my machine around if i try too do too big of trees. 18" is the absolute max it will do, it loves the 14-16" trees

furltech

I have the patu head on a kh28 kubota it works good also in 12 to 16 wood .I wish i had more boom strength but maybe if it was too much stronger i would rip the head apart .it is very easy to work on and rarely gives me any trouble it is not a huge producer but it keeps me in kraft dinner .i am still learning on it as i am used to running a 1270d and there are quite a bit of differences, but i like being my own boss again  and i have lots of work lined up so i will just keep chugging away.

Jamie_C

Quote from: Rusty1 on March 19, 2011, 03:47:32 PM
Looking to do some some small wood lot management..Have a DooSan DX 55 excavator...
Would like to put a head on the DX55 to select cut,process,&pile..
Are looking at the Hakmet (K2) 275 Roller Head...
Anyone doing the same with any info would be appriciated..
Or
anyother idea's for the same job , chime in...

I couldn't find the hydraulic specs for the DX 55 but keep in mind that a roll feed head requires a lot of hydraulic capacity. That K2 head you are looking at needs 120 litres/min of oil flow to operate the head .. thats a lot of flow to get out of a small machine .. the Arbro stroke head of the same size only needs between 45 - 80 litres/min.

If your attachment takes most of the hydraulic capacity of your machine then you will run into problems with everything being underpowered and you will burn a lot more fuel than you should be and wear your machine out a lot quicker.

snowstorm

a stroke head would be a better choice. i have a 150 keto and it takes 75 gpm to run it well. excavators dont work that well in the woods . undercarrige is too lite you need track guards bigger oil cooler the stick boom is ment to pull in not push out . a light dangle stroke head would be your best choice. by the time you do all the work required to make it work you could buy a used machine all set up.

Thank You Sponsors!