iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scaling long sticks.

Started by Dave Shepard, April 13, 2011, 07:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Here in the Northeast, we don't deal with long timber like the PNW guys. My scale sticks only go to 20 feet, and I've got a bunch of 26, 40, and 46 foot pine logs to scale. I need to either have a chart, or a system, that is legal, and the last word on the subject. I was told by one forester that Int. 1/4" is the legal scale in Mass., unless another means of measurement is agreed upon ahead of time. I only buy and sell on Int. 1/4", so that isn't a problem. Calculating the footage is. I'd like a chart that tells me the footage based on the length and small end diameter. I'm not sure I'm interested in trying to break up the log into smaller logs and piecing out the stick, as some people are suggesting. Any suggestions from people dealing with long length timber buying and selling appreciated. Thanks.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

clearcut

The formula for Board Feet, International 1/4 in is:

BdFt = 0.049762*L*D^2 + 0.006220*L^2D - .185476*L*D + 0.000259*L^3 -0.011592*L^2 + 0.042222*L

where D = small end diameter of the log in inches
               L = length of log in feet

^ means raise to the power
                 * is multiply

Source: Forestry Handbook 2nd edition

It's easy to plug this formula into a spreadsheet to generate any tables that you need.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Dave Shepard

Thank you for the formula. I'd have to do the calcs for each stick, as I don't have any spreadsheet experience. Would probably short sheet anyway. :D

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

clearcut

I have a spreadsheet that you can edit here:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AokwSx2G8V5LdEVKRG5yalhiREdZaHNnZFFUaHBjcWc&hl=en

Just change any of the lengths across the top row and it will calculate board feet.

You can also edit diameters.

You can print out a custom table for the lengths that you need.

Please don't change the formulas in the table.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

wdncno

I learnt this from an old timer for whom I had a lot of respect.  When I buy long logs- 20 ft or longer, I always scale them as is if they were two or three logs.

I'll use an example of some pine I bought this week.  22 ft log 24" on small end 28" on large end - scale as two 11' logs; one 24" and one 26"(the average of 24 and 28).  This is an incentive for the logger to leave good logs as long as possible, and still get paid full value for  them.  I always tell them what I am doing and it has paid off well, because none of them complain about dealing with the long stuff, if they are being fairly compensated for it.

captain_crunch

Go to a book store and you can buy scale books (pocket note books) We use Columbia River Scale here my book has scale to 60" dia and 40 ft anything longer than 40 is split scaled
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

mad murdock

Bailey's (forum sponsor) sells the scaling book that Cap'n Crunch is referring to.  It is a handy tool to have.  I got one myself. :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!