iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Prices?

Started by jerryatric, May 01, 2011, 12:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

Quote from: nativewolf on October 15, 2022, 09:44:50 AM
@Hogdaddy give me a ring and I'll try to find some poplar solutions for you.  
That some sort of quid pro quo marriage proposal or something?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

nativewolf

I was hoping he had some extra thick bacon or 2 year old cured ham.   :D
Liking Walnut

ehp

fuel went up 50 cents a litre where I get fuel, that is a huge jump , thats like $1.89 for your gallon

Southside

Same Valero was up $.10 more this morning, basically 12 hours. Haven't left the field yet to see how much it jumped today. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

nativewolf

Ours jumped back last week or two but since then it's been 4.90 for on road and not really moving.  My off road is still 4.50
Liking Walnut

ehp

Were at $8.13 in your gallon for fuel right today , that's huge when the barrel is still pretty low . It's all tax and the gov't pushing everyone to buy battery powered everything here

Talked to another good exporter and he is not even going to start, he is heading south for the winter . All I'm going to say is I know I would not want to be signing a deal for a million dollar machine that I would be making payments cause with this market you cannot trust whats going to happen . I watched a fairly big white oak deal go side ways last week and the company that was to buy it said no thanks . That alone would tell any smart person to watch what they are doing,  you trust what you cannot control

melezefarmer

Quote from: ehp on October 14, 2022, 09:28:16 PM
For us its the taxes on the fuel that is killing everyone , this carbon tax crap is crazy up here . winter heating oil is out of this world already and going higher , were pretty much double the cost per dollar on a barrel of oil compared to before , $100 cost per barrel use to cost us $1 a litre now the same barrel cost will cost us over $2 a litre
Last time I checked, the average total share of taxes for one litre is around 36% or 48 cents per litre in Ontario. Kinda crazy when I think that I paid less than that total per litre when I started driving in the late 90s.

barbender

If that fuel tax goes right back into your roads and bridges that's one thing. How are those taxes spent?

I had to fill my diesel pickup and 100 gallon off road tank today, about $660. I found a safe place and just went into the fetal position for a while😊
Too many irons in the fire

ehp

the fuel tax goes to whatever the govt puts it and we honestly have no real idea on where that is , you cannot believe any govt cause they lie to you . The amount of fuel tax we pay the roads should be pave every year and the center  line done in gold.  The only thing I see is the govt bank accounts are getting larger and at a fast rate

barbender

I don't mind a fuel tax (not at your rate though!) that is solely used for road and bridge building and repair. It has to be paid for somehow. But there are always some parasites trying to get their hands on those funds, I know here they've been pulling money out of that fund for bike paths. I'm not against bike paths, but don't pay for it with road and bridge money.
Too many irons in the fire

ehp

up another 20 cents a litre today , Almost to the highest we have ever had , One more big jump and we will be at that place 

ehp

talking another .75% interest hike next wed for us . That is not going to be good 

Southside

The Valero I have driven past a few times over the last week is up to $5.27 for fuel now. So $0.30 in a week, getting lots of calls for a 1/4 beef or more, wife was at a few stores the other day and said the meat shelves are just about empty. 

It's a runaway diesel at this point and these "masters of the universe" are reaching down and trying to pull up on the hand brake.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

stavebuyer

A large regional flooring company went back to buying red oak lumber this week. Below cost of production but maybe a sign they think the market has hit bottom from pressure on the supply side. Not much demand but even less to desire to work at a loss. The whole market runs on speculation that often alters demand.

ehp

It's wet here so mill is gaining on us so thats a good thing here

Hogdaddy

It's been dry as a popcorn fart here, And the mills still don't have many logs. Really didn't want them, or wasn't horsing for them anyway. @stavebuyer  I hope the red oak opening a little will help things. Thanks for the info
If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

nativewolf

We had a $100-50/thousand raise on YP on top 3 grades.  
Liking Walnut

stavebuyer

Quarter saw Oak logs took another big hit. In the past 6 weeks dropped from $2.70 picked up to $2.30 delivered. Delivery costs us 450/mbf. They used to pay when scaled and now hold back half until delivered. Going down much faster than it went up. If it doesn't rain soon, you won't be able to give logs away here.

ehp

And the real scary thing to me is , this is the fall going into winter which always brings the highest prices per year and the closer to break up the prices fall  so what are the prices going to be in spring , 

OH logger

I'm seein about exactly what stavebuyers talkin about. Even QS white oak droppin now. Dryest October on record here. Bittersweet for sure. Not buyin much standing. I will when I run out of work I guess. Red oak is terrible 
john

ehp

quilbilly

Quote from: stavebuyer on October 24, 2022, 07:01:59 PM
Quarter saw Oak logs took another big hit. In the past 6 weeks dropped from $2.70 picked up to $2.30 delivered. Delivery costs us 450/mbf. They used to pay when scaled and now hold back half until delivered. Going down much faster than it went up. If it doesn't rain soon, you won't be able to give logs away here.
How far are you shipping and how much do you get on a load? 
a man is strongest on his knees

stavebuyer

Quote from: quilbilly on October 24, 2022, 11:15:29 PM
Quote from: stavebuyer on October 24, 2022, 07:01:59 PM
How far are you shipping and how much do you get on a load? 

Interstate and crossing state lines and scales. Have to axle out and gross under 80K. 3K feet Doyle and often less as the logs are 200'/log on average so the "one more" sometimes puts you over and you can't quite get to 80k. Right at 325 miles one way.
325x$4 mile=$1300 with 2900' Doyle feet comes out to .448/bd ft

nativewolf

QS logs and you're only getting 2900'?  We put 3500-4000 mostly.  Winter helps, a bit drier wood.  Of course we don't pay the trucking on the logs and the buyer arranges that on backhauls.  Our shipping distance is a bit higher too.

Our QS pricing has been solid, but then it didn't pop last year.  Our best qs pricing was never $2.70 but $2.25 and lots of $2.  But then we don't truck it so that's a big difference.  

Another PA mill raised pricing a bit on RO, asking for all people will ship but other mills pay better.  We can still get higher pricing elsewhere but it was good to see someone asking for logs.  So that's 2 PA mills raising pricing or raising volumes.  I'd still rather push RO into bridge timbers unless they are good butt logs.
Liking Walnut

quilbilly

Your wood is lots heavier than ours. We get about 4000-4500 on a flatbed with alder. Scribner scale. 
a man is strongest on his knees

Thank You Sponsors!