iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

airplane time

Started by pineywoods, July 10, 2011, 10:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dukndog

Great pics!!
FiFi is a great plane. That FW is also...didn't know there was an original still flying!  I also love the CH-53 Sea Stallion. It's one BIG chopper!!
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

beenthere

Rec'd this link to 4 minute summary of some of the highlights at the Oshkosh air show. Pretty awesome sights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgf4fKGSdHo&feature=player_embedded
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pineywoods

Someone spent a bit of time making that video .....It definitely highlites the daily air shows. But the 2 hour daily airshows are just a small part of what goes on for a whole week. Where else can you kick the tires on a B29, get hands on welding lessons, chat one on one with people like Burt Rutan or take a ride in a Ford Tri-motor.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

pineywoods

dukndog, I did a doubletake when I walked up on that FW. I didn't know there was any left either. There was a Japanese Zero there, but I never did find it. Just too much to see and these old legs don't hold out like they once did
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

dukndog

The cool thing about Osh is the closeness....just like in your pics, people can actually touch the planes...most museums have them roped off. I've seen a ton of planes in my life but very few cockpits due to the ropes!!
And I understand about alot of walking around. When I was there I invested in Goldbond due to the chaffing!!!
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

pineywoods

Where has a year gone ? It's time for the fly-in again. We are leaving at first light tomorrow driving. 35 ft motor home towing a minivan hauling the wife's electric wheelchair..I'll be back in the maintenance shop again, working on Lord knows what, and the wife will be minding the door at the cafeteria. If you like airplanes of any kind, oshkosh, wi is the place to be starting about july 21. I will be taking pics again, but can't post them till I get back home. The campground wifi won't tolerate pics or video...

Magicman

Have a safe trip my friend.  Even though you can't post pictures, keep us updated about your daily activities, and take good care of that Lady.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

trapper

pineywoods I am 15 mi south of eaa. I have dsl.  Not real fast but you could post a few pictures from here.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

pineywoods

Airventure 2012 is now in the record books and I'm back home in Louisiana heat. Wisconsin wasn't much better, several days of 100 deg warmth. Made the trip with only 1 minor problem. (other than paying for 185 gallons of fuel) Soon as I get the rv unpacked and put away, I'll have some pics and descriptions. It's hard to believe how much "stuff" can be packed in a motor home..Dirty laundry will multiply if stuffed in an enclosed space...

John Mc

Pineywoods, are you a pilot?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

pineywoods

Quote from: John Mc on August 01, 2012, 08:38:09 PM

Yep, commercial and instrument rated, but I haven't flown in a while. The wife has her private also. We flew an old stinson voyager for decades, sold it when the kids went off to college. I have been an active EAA member for nearly 40 years.

John Mc

My wife and I are pilots also. She's IFR, I'm Comm, IFR, CFI. We own a 172.

Neither of us are Instrument current right now, and I haven't instructed in a while, but I do keep the CFI certificate valid... one of these days, the kids are going to want to learn.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thecfarm

Glad you had a good time. Looking forward to the pictures and the happenings.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

Looking forward to some pictures Wayne.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: pineywoods on August 01, 2012, 08:43:59 PM
Quote from: John Mc on August 01, 2012, 08:38:09 PM

Yep, commercial and instrument rated, but I haven't flown in a while.

I don't fly, but if I ever do, I wanna do it with a pilot that hasn't done it in a while.......just to make it interesting.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

John Mc

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 02, 2012, 07:49:31 AM

I don't fly, but if I ever do, I wanna do it with a pilot that hasn't done it in a while.......just to make it interesting.  :D :D :D

Let's make it really interesting:  How about flying with an aerobatics pilot who hasn't done it in a while?

sandhills

The other day while I was haying a pivot corner there was a crop duster working the quarter right next to me, I want to ride with one of those guys! He was literally touching the corn going over the hills and watching him turn around and come back down for the next pass right over me actually made duck a few times  :o. Funnest plain ride I've had I got to sit up with the pilot (for those of us that can't fly that's a big deal  :)) in a little cessna flying out of Haines, Alaska, can't remember which river we were following but we were low enough to see all the wildlife along the way.     

fishpharmer

Pineywoods, I always look forward to seeing your Oshkosh pictures. Glad you made it home safe.

Sandhills, good to hear you are getting some hay.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

sandhills

fish, "some" would be an overstatement, baled 15 acres the other night and got 3 1/2 bales  :-\.

fishpharmer

3 1/2 giant square bales, right? :'(

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

hardtailjohn

I think airplanes and sawmills/woods work are a natural mix! I'm an A&P/IA for 27+ years, specializing in fabric, wood and round engines. Never did finish my pilot's license, but live on my own airport,  own 4 airplanes and a 5th on the way.... go figure. :D  Pineywoods, I'm rebuilding a 108-3 right now for a guy from the East coast. Great airplanes!!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

fishpharmer

I like the sound of those round engines.

pineywoods

John, mine was a 108-0, a bit lighter than the later ones. IFR equipped and my log book shows several hours of hard ifr flying. I stripped off all the fabric and replaced it with .016 alclad. Actually wound up a bit lighter. Is the -3 you are building for a guy named Ken from Ct ?

pineywoods

OK, just a brief rundown on the world's largest aviation event..It's called airventure and happens the last week of july in Oshkosh Wisconsin. Lasts a week, during which the municipal airport becomes the busiest airport in the world, by a factor of 4 or 5. Normal years will see in excess of 10,000 aircraft on the field at any given time, the actual number is somewhat larger due to some arriving early and departing early, others come later in the week. People attendance has exceeded  500,000 for the past several years. Obviously any event of this size requires a huge amount of support, both people and equipment. The people end is mostly provided by a bunch of volunteers (over 4000 of them), many of whom come back year after year and work in the same area. We arrive a couple of weeks early, stay in an rv in the volunteer campground. I work in a maintenance shop, fixing "whatever is broke".

The list for me this year
Old volkswagen beetles
street sweeper
electric golf carts
gas golf carts
pickup trucks
handicap scooters
aircraft tugs
bicycles
honda scooters
tractors
fork lifts
people trams
atv's
gas pumps
lots of miscellaneous electrical stuff

This is one of the more common items requiring maintenance. EAA owns approximately 50 of these cut-down beetles, some so old they had 6 volt electricals. Over the years, I have re-done the electrical system on most of them. Used for VIP transport. I know the NZ minister of aviation and the head of our FAA rode around in one for a few days.

I did get off work enough to do some looking and picture taking, pics will follow in several shorter posts instead of one long one.

hardtailjohn

Quote from: pineywoods on August 03, 2012, 12:53:19 AM
Is the -3 you are building for a guy named Ken from Ct ?

No, this one's going to a guy by the name of Steve Ruff, from NH.  We're putting an IO-390 Lyc, MT Prop, full IFR panel... and a passel of other things. It's the 2nd "Super Stinson" I've done in the last few years. The first had the O-470.
Gotta love the Stinsons! Fine aircraft!!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Thank You Sponsors!