iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Painting Camoflauge

Started by Raider Bill, August 12, 2011, 09:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patty

What are impact fees?    Are they taxes for improvements made, or just taxes because they can??
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Raider Bill

Patty,

They are fees/taxes for the impact of new building on the community. If I leave the house as is or totally remodel as it stands there are none. If I tear it down and rebuild then I would have to pay the impact which I have been told is going to be in the $15k plus area. $5k less than I paid for the house. Not worth it to me.
Supposedly it is for the impact new buildings have on the area such as schools, public services, hookups etc. Basically it's just another way to snatch some money. I can see if this was going to be completely new construction but this house has been there for 60 or more years.

Additionally they will charge for sewer and water hook ups even though both are already connected.

It's a great life here in the big city...
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

jdonovan

Yep we have those around here too.

People get a 'remodel' permit and build the new house, and attach it to the old house by a single 2x4 wide wall 6" high.
Once they get a final inspection they apply for a new remodel permit, and tear down the old house, and little wall.

Radar67

Are impact fees collected if you just tear the house down? Seems if you are going to have a garden there in the future, you could tear the house down, start amending the soil for the garden and pay no fees if you do not build back.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Raider Bill

Quote from: jdonovan on August 15, 2011, 10:26:48 AM
Yep we have those around here too.

People get a 'remodel' permit and build the new house, and attach it to the old house by a single 2x4 wide wall 6" high.
Once they get a final inspection they apply for a new remodel permit, and tear down the old house, and little wall.

That's what they do here too. Problem is this house is on their radar and I've already been told any remodel permit submissions will get it condemned or at the least they will ride/watch what I do very hard. If condemned then I have additional fees associated with that.

I want to put the garden in the back fenced in area. It's a corner lot so I can't really do a garden on the whole thing without vandals and or kids tearing it up. City will not allow me to tear it down and put up a fence around the whole yard.

Radar67 [Terry] this city has more fees, fines and assessments than you can ever imagine.
Danged if I do Danged if I don't which is why I want to paint it Camo. Just make it disappear. I need to get out of here.

I can't get homeowners insurance on it because I don't live in it. I can buy liability and peril insurance but because we have to use the State run insurance program [citizens] they hammer you. My quote was $4k a year for value which is $20k on structure only. Not worth it.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

jdonovan

seems this little piece of land is more of a liability than an asset.

Raider Bill

Quote from: jdonovan on August 15, 2011, 01:53:51 PM
seems this little piece of land is more of a liability than an asset.
Sure seems to be turning out that way. In the end it should become a asset. Probably to my heirs, corner lot etc. A few years ago it would have been a money maker. Now, not so much which is why I just want it to disappear for awhile.
Out of sight out of mind.....

beenthere

Sure sounds like the city has a plan for you, and that is let it fall in for lack of repair.
Like so many Gov't programs that attempt to dictate anything we do, and charge you for doing it. But doing nothing works well for them too.

Your camo idea and letting it crumble may be the cheapest way, until there is a Gov't program by the city to fix it up with some of that "free" taxpayer money.

Will look forward to the pics after the camo job.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I still wanna know how you are gonna "unpaint" those beach babes.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on August 15, 2011, 02:31:15 PM
I still wanna know how you are gonna "unpaint" those beach babes.   ;D

That's the easy part... smiley_gorgeous smiley_gorgeous

Getting rid of them afterwards is another story. whiteflag_smiley smiley_argue01 smiley_argue01

Radar67

Just tell them you're broke, they will run after that... :D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Patty

Yikes! They got you coming and going don't they.

"I want to put the garden in the back fenced in area. It's a corner lot so I can't really do a garden on the whole thing without vandals and or kids tearing it up. City will not allow me to tear it down and put up a fence around the whole yard. "

You would think they would be happy if you wanted to tear it down and cultivate the yard into a "green area" or better yet, a garden. It has to be better than just letting it set empty and fall down. Common sense does not enter into the government in Florida either.  ::) 

"People get a 'remodel' permit and build the new house, and attach it to the old house by a single 2x4 wide wall 6" high.
Once they get a final inspection they apply for a new remodel permit, and tear down the old house, and little wall. "

My friends from St Petersburg did just that. I could not believe it.

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Bro. Noble

Maybe you could hire someone to 'sand the floors' while you are out of state ;)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Raider Bill

Patty,

I'm not sure common sense enters into anything government related anymore if it ever did. I dunno.... They just make it hard and expensive no matter which way you go.

Bro Noble, if only.....

Like many other places this neighborhoods changing. It used to be a nice quiet area with a high percentage of Retirees, Old School Bikers and Good Ol Boys. It was safe and friendly, we kept it that way. Everyone was happy from the Police Chief and Mayor to the residents that knew they could walk the dog at all hours with no problems. Most were proud of their home and they showed it. But due to attrition, greed whatever many where sold during the boom to new buyers at extremely high prices. They then went belly up and foreclosed on at a alarming rate. Now they are being snapped up by lowball investors that rent to anyone.

I spent a Sunday morning sipping my coffee sitting on a lawn chair watching the SWAT team raid the house kitty corner from mine. Not many get to do that. It was flash bangs, fireworks, helicopters, dogs, Ninja Cops , Fire Trucks and robbers! In the end 7 St Pete "bloods" a Mother the Landlord 3 cats and 4 pit bulls went to jail. Pretty neat to watch but I prefer it on COPS in someone else's city not across the street from my house.

For the 35 years prior that house was lived in by the nicest couple both retired. He from a Fire Dept and she the school district. They passed, family sold it for quick cash. They would be mortified now. It's happening all around me. I'm starting to feel like Crockett, Bowie and Travis.

When I get North of Tampa heading to the Tenn house my blood pressure drops about 100 points. Heading South back here it cranks back up.

Oh well, I hope some day I'll be sitting in Tenn on the Forestry Forum complaining about chiggers instead.....

Roxie

Rather than bother with the building itself, why not just plant some gorgeous, fast growing Leyland Cypress across the front, close to the house?  Stagger them a bit and put them 3 feet apart, and if you ever decide to do anything with the house, all you have to do is cut them down. 
Say when

isawlogs

Theres a vine down south that I know can cover up that house about as fast as you can paint it . Instead of camouflaging it , how about vining it up... or will you be taxed on that too , embellishing tax  ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

I bet painting that house camo will really pith off the city officials.  Soon, there will be a new law that requires a fee for a permit to paint a house, then a committee has to approve the color.  And to think, all because of you  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pineywoods

Marcel has the answer...kudzoo  :)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

isawlogs

Thanks...
   Thats what I was talking about Kudzoo, I saw that on tv here  and it did a fine job of covering up a whack of houses down there, man does that thing grow.  :o  ( I almost wrote that it sounded like my cell phone comp,.. KooDoo)  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

fishpharmer

Good idea Marcel.  This video shows what Kudzu does...

http://youtu.be/EfDUTnVFEhI
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Raider Bill

I fight Kudzu in Tenn constantly I sure don't want it here! ;)

Danny, It won't be the first time. I spent 3.5 years getting permission to build my garage. TV, Newspapers, Commission meetings Attornies, if I saw a Commissioner anywhere I wore them down about it. In the end I won...... I think.....
Now I have to be cool as my Son is a City employee and they are very vindictive here.
I think camo will be a nice low key temporary fix for me.. 

I'm going to take some leaves and bark to the paint store to be matched hopefully today.

WDH

Raider,

I am glad that you are my friend and not my enemy  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I'm glad that both of you are.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Danny,

Me too !

Bought the paint last night. Took some green leaves, bark and brown leaves to the paint store to match. Hopefully this weekend I will get started.

Jeff

We want a picture no matter how it turns out. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!