iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flatness?

Started by Satamax, November 26, 2011, 04:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody.

I was wondering how acurate were your mills over their lengh? I mean, would a 1/4" curve considered real bad over a 40' lengh? How's the blade wander too?

Thanks.

Max. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

hackberry jake

A slight curve isn't a problem since the lumber will staighten out in the stack. If it dries flat it will stay flat. The blade on my mill wonders about 1/16 at the most if it's being pushed a little too hard.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

T Welsh

Satamax,I have a WM LT40HD,I think its a 1994 model year. It has seen over 1millionbf in its life time. I just finished cutting board and batten from a #1 butt poplar log 18 foot long and it is dead on the mark at 4/4 everywhere along the boards. remember though this is rough lumber that we are sawing and different people have different standards. I think a 1/32 + or - is acceptable 1/8 is pushing it. Tim

Peter Drouin

My Wm lt40super will cut flat. but when I cut 30' to 45' long I have to look out for stress in the log, If you don;t box the hart it will lift off the deck then one side wont be flat :D :D but you have start out with a straight log too :D :D .it;s all fun 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

piller

Suppose you are cutting a 16 or 20 foot long 8 x 8 timber, you make one cut then rotate the log 180 degrees and set the saw for an 8" cut and make the cut.  Any errors will now add instead of cancel, can you still get 1/16" accuracy over the entire length of the timber?

Satamax

Thanks a lot guys.

I was just wondering what was common practice in the sawmill community.

So if i understood well,

1/32 per face is good, 1/16 per face is average, and 1/8 people will start to frown at me  ;D

Thanks again.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Brucer

Level all the supports on your mill according to the manual. Then the only variation you get will be caused by sawing out stresses in the log.

For 1" side lumber I might see up to 1/16" variation between the ends end the center. It's not a big deal for stock lumber -- the trim saw takes care of it. For FOHC timbers I will sometimes saw 1/2" oversize and then do an extra cut on each face to make it absolutely uniform.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

ladylake

Yes as Bruce said the only way to deal with stress on long timbers is to cut over sized and make sure the cant is laying on all the bunks on the last cut.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Satamax

Bruce, i don't have a mill, i'm planing to make one. Well, i have the wheels and frame. :D

Brucer

So make sure the frame doesn't have any vertical waves in it (at least the tracks) and make sure you have a method of leveling the log supports independently ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!