iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yikes!

Started by Den Socling, November 28, 2011, 11:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

I have a new vac kiln customer who has been worrying too much about his kiln. He called last Saturday to report that the kiln made a loud bang. I told him it must have been a ball-check valve that was temporarily stuck. He called back to say that he found the source of the bang. Some nit wit shot a hole through the side of his building.  :o Luckily, his number wasn't up.

DanG

Yikes is right!  That's the scary part of hunting season.  A lot of folks don't realize how far a bullet can travel if it doesn't hit anything.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Cedarman

I thought a bullet traveled until it did hit something.  Especially true if you don't hit what you are aiming at.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

DanG

Quote from: Cedarman on November 28, 2011, 12:09:18 PM
I thought

That's the key, Cedarman.  There's just too many people who didn't thought before they fired. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Magicman

Or either he wanted to be the first person to kill a kiln.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raphael

I was out turning tops into firewood the other day and really glad I decided to go with a bright orange Kubota instead of something like JD green ;)
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

red oaks lumber

and the best part, these same people also drive cars. yikes! x10 :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Coon

Went for a drive earlier this afternoon and there is small little bush that is about 4 acres or so..... there was six vehicles and about 10 hunters surrounding the thing.  Pitty those poor deer.  Where's the sportsmanship in hunting anymore.  I'll tell you we sure didn't wait to see if any shots got fired or not.  We hightailed it right on out of there.  ::) 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Bill Gaiche

Maybe he needs to paint a bullseye around the hole so the shooter can see that he hit his mark and wont need to take anymore shots!!  bg

sawdust

Wood that be a drive by killn?

somebody had to say it.

comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Norm

A few years ago I left my truck parked at the office overnight. Now this is a morton building out in the middle of nowhere. Next day when I got in it to drive away I noticed a hole in the hood. Sure enough someone had shot my truck. I suspect it was either someone shooting deer at night or one of those morons that goes around shooting highway signs. Cost me $400 to fix and did I mention the LP tank was next to my truck.

Chuck White

Lucky no one was hurt!

It takes all kinds to make this world go around, but we could use less of that kind!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Den Socling

The brother of the kiln owner was just here. He said the bullet came through the wall about a yard above the kiln. This chamber is only 5 feet high. If we had been standing at the control panel, the bullet would have gone whistling by our heads. That was really a close one. What kind of idiot fired that gun?

Lambee10

All animals like me...at feeding time.

M-14 Belsaw and the toys to go with it.

Cedarman

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Taylortractornut

I had a friend have a  goat gt shot  last year on opening day.   Folks just go deer crazy here.       I have another friend thats an avid hunter and he  says his opening day is a week after all the yahoos get  there cookies  shooting the countryside up.   

Two years ago I was walking the D5 over to part of the landfill that had the timbe logged off to    push up some tops for firewood.     We have a nice 5  strand fence and  lots of warning signs.    I   saw a 14 yea old pine that  wa  laying over I figured the loggers damaged it  and it had fallen over.    I tiltd theblade to corner out the stump and grub the trunk and top and this   guy pops out of a  blind.      I ask him about reading the signs.         We later did a walkaround and  I obtained  2 new deere stands and a new mossy oak duck blind.   

The company owners used to let  the plant lead men and their families get a ket to go to te landfil to hunt deer and fish.  THey had a short   list of rules.   DOnt bother the  3  dogs there,  dont fool around with equipment, or the working face of the landfill.       leave material alone.      If you bring in and ATV stay on the  equipment access roads stay off the slopes and  grass.      Guess how many rules they kept.      One weekend  one of our  dogs came up missing we never found him.    They guy we think shot him   also lied about the folks in there with him and driving a 4 wheeler     in circles on our green slopes.  Then     after getting stuck took a Ford tractor key and  took the old 4000  down the green slope to  retrieve the  wheeler.    He rutted the    slope up backing uphill.     All this for a deer. 
My overload permit starts after sunset

Thank You Sponsors!