iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which do you do first? It's like the chicken or the egg question.

Started by Jim_Rogers, December 08, 2011, 04:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

I read it some where in one of the many woodworking books that I have that there was a standard to do one first then the other.
But I can't remember which one came first.
When creating a joint, not in timber framing but in general woodworking, what is the standard rule?
Do you create the tenon first and then the mortise to fit it? Or do you create the mortise first and then the tenon to fit it?

Thanks

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

CHARLIE

I create the mortise first and then fit the tenon to the mortise....only because it is easier and more accurate to trim the wood off a tenon than it is to shave wood out of a mortise.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

scsmith42

Quote from: CHARLIE on December 08, 2011, 04:21:12 PM
I create the mortise first and then fit the tenon to the mortise....only because it is easier and more accurate to trim the wood off a tenon than it is to shave wood out of a mortise.

+1, same here.  It is much easier to trim a tenon than a mortise...
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

T Welsh

I 3rd that ;) What CHARLIE and scsmith42 said! Its easier to oversize the tenon a hair and trim to fit. Tim

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

CHARLIE

With that settled, I say the chicken came first.  It used to be a fish and walked out of the ocean and grew feathers 1.435 years ago. It then layed an egg. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

SwampDonkey

I agree, but I have done it the other way to. I know my mortise for instance will be 1/2", I make my tenons a little fatter to begin with then shave by rasp or plane for a tight fit after the mortise is cut. Still works. ;) But, you can still make mistakes either way you approach it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Lud

Amen to trim the tenon.

Charlie,  I dunno........I think the  fish got exposed to something  and laid a evolved egg from which came the fish with legs that could get out off the water so one might deduce that the egg came first!......... ;)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

CHARLIE

So Lud....you are saying the fish came first. :D  I wonder if the fish clucked and had a beak.... ::)
Charlie

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

It depends on the time of day. If it is in the evening, I eat the chicken, but if it is the morning, I eat the egg.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

CHARLIE

So, since evening comes before morning, that is proof that the chicken came before the egg...... :)
Charlie

WDH

red oaks lumber

if the chicken came from the sea, wouldn't it be star fish tuna? :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

CHARLIE

I think it was called Chicken of the Sea Tuna, which is more proof that the chicken came before the egg. ;D
Charlie

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

SwampDonkey

Yes, Starkist was pulled from shelves here years ago. Something like, rotten fish, had something to do with it.  :-\

SwampDonkey

Clam77

:D   Starkist is still going strong here.  Love me a good hot gooey tuna melt...   ;)

As for the chicken or the egg......   :P   8)
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Thank You Sponsors!