iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

think I found a winner...

Started by zopi, December 22, 2011, 11:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zopi

Have been trying to develop a little skill at carving, so along the lines of studying I picked up a copy of wood carving illustrated...this mont has an article about "comfort birds" little carved birds that are very smooth and just the size to sit comfortably in the hand...something comfortable to hold...like a stress ball or worry stick, or what have you...
My wife has been having a hard time, as she is going through her late brother's stuff and getting rid of it, and of course we aren't doing so hot financially...heck, who is? Anyway, I carved her a little sparrow out of ERC, hit it with tung oil and wax, and went in amd just slipped it into her hand...she has not put it down for several hours...
Knocked out a few more of them this evening...one for each of my daughter's christmas stockings...guess I will make a box of them to have around for when someone is feeling blue. Good practice for developing shapes too.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Radar67

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

zopi

Umm...will try...I have to upload them to facebook, then download to my phone..then upload here...only way I have been able to resize for the forum...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Jeff

You Don't have to resize for the forum. The forum resizes for you.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

zopi

nope...not working with the phone...when I go to browse, it does not fond the photos...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Jeff

You cant use a phone. That's a different issue then having to resize photos.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

zopi

Heh...out stubborned the phone software.

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

And a cedar bandsaw box I made...

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

And because I can...the mill with a big hunk of white oak..

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

thecfarm

He's on a roll now.   :D  Nice birds you have there. I like the different colors. Must be made from different wood? Box looks good too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Busy Beaver Lumber

Nice work Zopi. Can't wait for Christmas day. Kids and wife got me a bunch of woodcarving tools including a foredom power carving kit and I just snagged a Optima 2 in mint condition off of ebay for $50.

Did some wood carving years ago before I lost much of the use of my left hand. Became difficult to hold what I was carving with any control and without getting severe hand cramps. The wife, being the fantastic woman she is, did a lot of research on line and has convinced me to get back into it, but to go with power carving tools so that I can clamp the wood in place and use my right hand only, which functions just fine. Will be like learning how to do it all over but I am looking forward to the challenge and getting back into it. She has even said that she wants to do it with me
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

zopi

Cool...power carving is about where I am in the grand scheme of things...I have not the patience to sit still for hours whittling or chasing out tiny details...besides, I like the chainsaw thing, because it brings obnoxiously large hunks of wood into the realm of useful....I recall watching an artist named Toth carve a giant indian head in a park in Las Cruces NM as a kid....like 25 feet tall...that was coool...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

metalspinner

Good job, Zopi. :)

I have a buddy that carves birds utilizing both power and hand tools.  His carving are incredibly life-like with many details.  He has won contests and been published several times.  The point I'm trying to get to is that his hands shake uncontrolably until he applys his carving tools to the block of wood.  Then he is in complete control. :) 

It's a little unnerving to watch him prepare to carve with powertools, woodburners, and razor sharp chisels with his hands shaking the way they do.  When tool meets wood, it's an amazing sight. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

zopi

I know quite a few artists like that...singers that stutter...etc...

There is a guy who can chainsaw ten numbers on a toothpick and the alphabet on a pencil...crazy stuff.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Red Pill

Quote from: zopi on December 23, 2011, 03:42:36 AM
And because I can...the mill with a big hunk of white oak..

How does your LT-15 cut those big oak logs, Zopi? The only chance I got to operate one was on some almost dry cedar. Went through that like grass through a goose.

zopi

With the fifteen horse motor and a sharp blade it is a little slow....but do able...that 25 is da bomb.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!