iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Neat idea for those who know how to sew...anybody?

Started by Rooster, January 23, 2012, 10:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooster

Hey Gang,
So I was over to my parents place tonight to help put away some of the holiday decorations, and Mom showed me her new pet project.  She and a group of ladies from church are making simple cotton dresses for little girls in some of the poorest and underdeveloped parts of this planet...including our own country.  I think that it is a unique way to directly improve the life a young child.  These dresses are hand delivered by mission groups to assure that the girls that need them, do in fact receive these gifts of hope.

I'm thinking of making a few myself and also use them to teach my new wife how to use a sewing machine...yes it's true, I do know how to thread and operate a sewing machine...it's one of those throw back ideas that my parents wanted us kids to be self-sufficient.  Besides, it's a motorized tool!!

So if you know someone who likes to sew, pass this info on to them and give them your encouragement.

Thanks,

Rooster
http://www.littledressesforafrica.org/blog/\

http://www.nationalaltarguildassociation.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/LittleDressesForAfrica.pdf
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Riggs

Fantastic idea, and a worthy cause...I hope it does well.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

fishpharmer

Nice idea, I will pass it on to some of my church members.
Thanks
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

beenthere

My wife and a Church group she leads is heavily involved in this project, or very similar project. She uses it to teach young wanna-be sewers how to cut from patterns and sew the items together, including adults who also want to learn to sew. One of the simpler items is just a pillow case.

Also, the group includes quilters who make 80 - 100 quilts for distribution to the poor. A shipment to many donated items to Katrina, the quilts were the first items claimed off the truck.

Good on ya for posting that Rooster.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

Looks like a very nice cause!

I'm sure they're appreciated!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Good for you and your wife's group Rooster.  I encourage everyone to have some special project each year to help the underprivileged.  There is so much need.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!