iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2012 Fire Season

Started by Ron Scott, March 09, 2012, 05:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

~Ron

thecfarm

Starting early? We still have a few inches of snow here in the woods. Maybe be a dry spring us too. We had a fire that was on a lot next to mine. Not a good thing to see. I was cutting small softwood  trees on his side to save mine.Fire went out due to a 2 inch fire hose and nothing to keep it going on mine side.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodtroll

Just got off my 2nd fire in 3 days. Both timber fires.
Thank God for cool nights.

Ron Scott

News from a USFS Associate in Denver

Here is a very brief report on the ongoing fire on the front range of Denver as of 4:00 PM March 27.

No containment at this time-4500 A
*2 fatalities (civilians in fire area)
*1 person missing
*23 structures damaged or consumed ( I would guess they are mostly homes and totally consumed)
A prescribed burn was conducted in the area last week and it is strongly suspected this is the ignition source. Colorado State Forest Service conducted the prescribed burn.
~Ron

bjorn

Here in Virginia a series of fires called the "Easter Complex" have burned just under 40,000 acres!  FInally we are getting some rain today.

beenthere

Ron
Have you seen any bulletins on the Forest Service considering explosives to get rid of frozen cows in Colorado mountain cabin ??

Just can't imagine that our USFS is even thinking this would be a solution to getting rid of carcasses.
(do they think they will vaporize?)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

Only briefly, but I haven't heard anything serious about the frozen cow removals. At least not yet. Good bear bait. ;)
~Ron

beenthere

This borders on "hilarious" but then shows the thinking of Gov't officials and their wisdom (along with the free money they get from taxpayers).
Have to wonder why they just don't leave the carcasses right there. Fear of polluting water should be the least on their minds. Wonder what they think takes place now with animals that die in their watershed? Or what will happen if (heaven forbid) they blow up the carcasses and cabin into tiny bits? Those parts are going to be somewhere and will rot away, no different than a whole cow.
But maybe if they blow it up into parts, the crows and eagles will carry those parts away. :D  Brilliant.

Regardless, it is news of sorts. If the owner shows up, maybe they will charge him for the removal by helicopter and solve their frozen problem ??  ;)

I don't like to see our Gov't (especially the US FS) act out "dumb and dumber". It is embarrassing, to say the least.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sandhills

beenthere, I really thought you were joking when you first brought that up, all I can say now is I wish you would've been. 

Ron Scott

Wind-Fueled Arizona Wildfire Nearly Triples in Size

Associated Press (May 17) - Fueled by high winds, a wildfire that has prompted the evacuation of a historic mining town in northern Arizona nearly tripled in size.

The fire in the Prescott National Forest grew to an estimated 5,400 acres, or nearly 8 1/2 square miles-up from about 2,000 acres a day earlier.

The E-Forester
~Ron

sandhills

I sure hope they're not getting the winds we are  :-\

Ron Scott

Seney/Pine Creek North Wildfire – update
from U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

As of 11:10 a.m. (Eastern), May 23,2012

The wildfire on the Seney National Wildlife Refuge (Schoolcraft County), ignited by lightning and first reported on Monday, May 21, had burned approximately 1,500 acres as of Tuesday evening.

The wildfire is in an area that backs up against the Fishing Loop and is a few miles west of the Visitor Center and headquarters area. Because of the location of the fire, the Marshland Wildlife Drive, Fishing Loop, Pine Ridge Nature Trail and many interior roads are closed to ALL use. These closures are likely to remain throughout the weekend. At this time the Visitor Center, the Northern Hardwoods Ski Area foot trails, and C3 pool (which is open to fishing) are still open for use. Visitors should check in at the Visitor Center or check the USFWS Facebook page (www.facebook.com/usfws/seneyrefuge) for closure updates.

Questions should be directed to Jennifer McDonough, Visitor Services, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 906-586-9851 ext. 16 or the Visitor Center, 906-586-9851 ext.15

On Monday and Tuesday, fire crews, including three amphibious track crews, three engine crews and a Midewin hotshot crew worked to strengthen barriers around the fire. The strategy being taken is to contain the fire within an area surrounded by Holland Ditch to the north, Pine Creek Road to the west and the Fishing Loop to the east and south. Crews have burned out fuel along Holland Ditch and Pine Creek. A CL 215 air tanker assisted Tuesday afternoon to help control the fire while crews were establishing containment lines. Some spotting has occurred west of Pine Creek Road and crews were attempting to contain these spots late Tuesday and will continue Wednesday morning. A helicopter is working the spot fires outside of the line. If fire crosses Pine Creek Road, the plan is to contain fire to the wet areas to the north along Pine Creek. The containment area is approximately 2,500 acres in size.

No structures are threatened. The fire is not fully contained but progress is being made.

~Ron

hardtailjohn

Quote from: beenthere on April 18, 2012, 03:17:26 PM
Ron
Have you seen any bulletins on the Forest Service considering explosives to get rid of frozen cows in Colorado mountain cabin ??

Just can't imagine that our USFS is even thinking this would be a solution to getting rid of carcasses.
(do they think they will vaporize?)

My Dad was an outfitter in the Bob Marshall Wilderness area near here for 35 years. The guy he sold out to, had a pack horse drown in a lake that was near a bad spot in the trail, and the FS made him blow it up.  When they're wrapped in the explosives the way they want them (there's an "official" bulletin that explains how much and how it's to be used, in great detail), yes they do vaporize!  Their logic is the attraction to bears and stuff. I guess it poses some sort of unnatural threat if they're there for any length of time, eating on a carcass.  Your tax dollars at work.
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

kderby

One of my co-workers wrecked his mules and one mule died.  The trail crew blew it up.  Hooves with iron shoes don't blow up very well.  The bears were climbing the surrounding trees to get the other tid-bits.  I wonder if the explosive helped flavor the meat?

The solution to pollution is dilution!

Kderby

Ron Scott

DNR update on Duck Lake Fire in Luce County

The Department of Natural Resources has reported (as of 10 p.m. Thursday) on the fire that is currently burning explosively in the Two Hearted Zone Dispatch Area of the DNR's Newberry Management Unit in Luce County. Fire behavior has been a fast-running crowning incident that has consumed an estimated 9,526 acres.

This is a lightning strike-caused fire in an area where access is difficult. Detection and initial attack occurred shortly after 4 p.m. on Wednesday, May 23. Containment efforts were halted after dark, with plans to resume in the morning. Strong winds and high temperatures the next day (May 24) enabled the fire to escape, build, and – with the highly flammable fuels involved – evolve into the current situation. The primary fuel feeding this fire is jack pine.

This event triggered an evacuation of the homes and camps on Pike Lake. Evacuees were sent to a shelter set up at the Newberry Youth Center and have been supported by the Red Cross. At this time there are no injuries or accidents related to this incident.

The DNR has committed the following equipment to the suppression effort of this fire:

Six tractor plows;
One D 5 bulldozer;
Seven wild land fire engines;
One marsh unit;
One skidder fitted to be a plow and a water unit; and
40 personnel.
In addition, the Bay Mills, Newberry Village, Portage Township, White Fish Township, Superior Township and Garfield Township provided support.

A related incident, the Pike Lake Fire, broke out on Monday, May 21, around 3 p.m. Suppression efforts on this fire had it contained at 22 acres late Monday evening. Mop-up efforts to extinguish hot spots continued through Thursday until the crew working this incident was forced away by the advancing Duck Lake Fire.

DNR News

~Ron

Ron Scott

EASTERN U.P. WILDFIRES

Two big fires are burning in the eastern U.P., both from lightning strikes.  The Seney Fire was backfired off M-28 Thursday. 

The one to watch is the Duck Lake Fire, which blew up Thursday and is moving fast today, Friday.  Media reports indicated an uncontained jack pine crown fire and a 4-mile swath that has burned to Lake Superior.  Strong west winds will likely turn the fire.  Evacuations are underway.  Watch the media for updates. 

~Ron

beenthere

Keep your head down, Jeff.
south central Wisconsin

Ron Scott

Duck Lake Fire temporarily closes Tahquamenon Falls State Park

The Department of Natural Resources today announced that, due to the growing Duck Lake Fire in Luce County (now approaching 20,000 acres), it will temporarily close the Tahquamenon Falls State Park's Lower Falls campground and Upper Falls viewing area.

Park staff has relocated all campers from the Lower Falls campground to either the Rivermouth campground or Muskallonge Lake State park, which at this time are both considered safe alternatives because the fire is east of Muskallonge Lake and north of Rivermouth.

More than 100 arriving campers have been contacted – either by message or direct contact by the DNR's customer reservation system (CRS) staff – and they have either canceled their reservations (with full refunds) or been transferred to other parks.

The DNR is evacuating all visitors from the Lower Falls campground and the Upper Falls viewing area. These areas will also be barricaded to prevent subsequent entry.

It is currently anticipated that if the fire continues on its current path it will be within one mile of the Upper Falls viewing area sometime tonight.

Visitors are asked to avoid the Tahquamenon Falls area this Memorial Holiday weekend due to the fire danger and the existing, deteriorating heavy smoke conditions. No reservations will be available for either the Lower Falls campground or the Rivermouth campground now through May 31. The Upper Falls viewing area will remain closed until fire staff determines that entry is deemed safe.

The DNR strongly encourages all residents and visitors to avoid open burning and use of any fireworks during this extremely high fire-danger season, in order to minimize the possibility of more wildfires.

DNR News
~Ron

Ron Scott

~Ron

Ron Scott

More Air Tankers Needed

Ashland Daily Tidings, Published by Paul Fittig, May 30th
U.S. Sen. Ron Wyden intends to hold the U.S. Forest Service's feet to the fire in an effort to increase its fleet of large air tankers under contract."The forest fires are getting bigger and the air tanker fleet is getting smaller," said Wyden, D-Ore., during a news conference Tuesday morning at the Medford air tanker base. "That has left us with some enormous challenges. We've already seen some big fires in Arizona and Colorado."Despite the enormity of all this, the agency that is most responsible for fighting them, the Forest Service, has allowed the air tanker fleet to shrink," he said. The agency had 44 large air tankers under contract in 2006 but now has only 11, said Wyden, chairman of the Senate Forestry Committee. "And 10 of those average 50 years of age," Wyden added. "So we have some of these planes are getting to the point where they belong in museums rather than the sky."

The E-Forester
~Ron

Ron Scott

Forest Service Adds More Air Tankers to Fight Fires

ABC News (June 7) - Facing a season of potentially dangerous wildfires and a dwindling number of large air tankers to help fight them, the US Forest Service has taken steps to add four more planes to its fleet.

The additions will bring the federal fleet of large air tankers up to 13, still far below the number that critics-and the forest service itself-say are needed to fight fires adequately from above.

The E-Forester
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!