iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1st run on a sawmill - LT15

Started by 54Dutchman, March 27, 2012, 09:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

54Dutchman

I have been reading and watching and waiting to try a sawmill.  Called Woodmizer and asked if they knew anybody that had one in my area, they came back with one about 35 minutes away.  Called up the owner, Darrel Severied, and he agreed to demo it for me.  When I arrived he had already loaded a walnut log the saw.  He showed how to arange the log for the first cut and the controls and features of the LT15.  He made the first cut rotated the log for the next cut and said goforit 8) 8) 8).  I think something was wrong with that sawmill as after I touched it and ran it through the log I wanted to cut all his walnut that he had there (about 15 logs from 30 to 24 dia.10 to 12 foot long).  I think I have caught the sawdustbug as this forum has been 1st thing on my mind when I wake up and last thing I look at before going to bed.  Is there any cure  ??? ??? ??? ???

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Congratulations on your 1st sawmill run!

It can get to be addictive.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Quote from: 54Dutchman on March 27, 2012, 09:35:45 AM
Is there any cure  ??? ??? ??? ???

Congratulations on your first sawdust.  There is no cure, but only a home remedy that soothes the pain somewhat.  Orange:)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

Congrats on your first cuts!  And... nope, there is no cure.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

JohnM

I'm in the exact same boat, Dutchman.  This forum is a catch-22...I feel like a kid in a pet store looking at all the puppies (sawmills) saying, 'Oh I want that one!  No!  That one!'  For now I just gotta sit back and learn what I can from the 'puppy' owners here and live vicariously through them. :)  There are worse sites I could spend my time on. :o ;D :D

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

hackberry jake

I went and saw a couple sawmills run before I got mine. The best thing about learning from the owners is; if they don't like a part of the mill they will tell you. I went and saw one run that had a horrible dog design, and that was the one I had my heart set on before I used it. Sometime you look at the water and wonder of its cold, it sure is nice when you finally get to jump in head first. With sawmills you either get fast, accurate, or cheap. Pick two
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

54Dutchman

No complaints from Darrel about the LT15. ;D ;D ;D This is the 2nd LT15 and he upgraded this time with the 25 Hp. and claimed the engine does not bog down with any type of wood.  His older model had a 13 Hp. and it could bog down in white oak.  He has had this sawmill since 2008 and has had no maintance issues. :) :) :)  I was really set on a swingblade sawmill but may go ORANGE :o :o
He did say it is work (MANUEL)  ;)

cutterboy

Hey Dutch, you shouldn't have done it. Now you're stuck! You'll have to get a sawmill. :D :D :D

But seriously, many men say they can't afford a sawmill yet they spend good money playing golf and buying scratch tickets and other foolish things. The money they spend in a year on that stuff would make a lot of payments on a mill. Plus, with a sawmill you have money comming in from selling lumber and/or doing custom sawing.

So Dutch, go ahead, get yourself a sawdust maker. ;D
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

customsawyer

You will have to get in touch with DoctorB for the cure but the best thing for it is more saw dust. It is addictive like smoking.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

zopi

welcome!. yeah..yer stuck. it is worse than smoking...worse than heroin...might as well relax and enjoy it. 
I usually do not try to steer folks between swing or band, as they each have their uses/niches...but if they go with a band mill, I am all props for orange. 

I think the ideal setup for recovering urban timber/storm blowdowns would be a bandmill for the little stuff and a swinger to handle the monsters which are inaccessible, or too big for the band mill. wouldn't that be nice? 

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

mikeb1079

there ain't no cure brother.  i started with a small chainsaw mill.  then i bought a large chainsaw mill.  then i built a bandsaw mill.  now i have so much lumber stacked behind the garage i'm completely out of room and am gonna start giving it away   :D :D :D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

WDH

What are your sawing goals?  Are you planning to saw for personal use only or do you plan to cut for others as a business?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

54Dutchman

Quote from: WDH on March 28, 2012, 08:22:59 AM
What are your sawing goals?  Are you planning to saw for personal use only or do you plan to cut for others as a business?
WDH  I plan to saw for personal, but I am told that once your name gets out there there are many opertunites that come up.  Darrel S. had also commented that he never had a lack of logs to cut.  Extra work in milling lumber would be to build a business base.

JohnM

I've been playing around with building 'my' mill on WM's site and with the sale on the LT-35's it was "only" 3k difference between it and the LT-15GO. (minimal extras)  Not sure if you want/need portable, if not than disregard my comment.

As a side note (and maybe Zopi or other LT-15 owners can answer this) why does WM build the 15 and 28 with that hand crank feed system?  It looks like the 10, 35 and 40 are push feed.  Just curious why bother with the crank?

Good luck, Dutchman, hope it happens for you sooner than later!  ;D

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

54Dutchman

Quote from: JohnM on March 28, 2012, 10:45:11 AM
I've been playing around with building 'my' mill on WM's site and with the sale on the LT-35's it was "only" 3k difference between it and the LT-15GO. (minimal extras)  Not sure if you want/need portable, if not than disregard my comment.

As a side note (and maybe Zopi or other LT-15 owners can answer this) why does WM build the 15 and 28 with that hand crank feed system?  It looks like the 10, 35 and 40 are push feed.  Just curious why bother with the crank?

Good luck, Dutchman, hope it happens for you sooner than later!  ;D

JM

I believe that if you look at the LT35 & LT40 manuel they are both power feed but manuel log handeling.

JohnM

Quote from: 54Dutchman on March 28, 2012, 11:35:11 AM
I believe that if you look at the LT35 & LT40 manuel they are both power feed but manuel log handeling.

Oh shoot you're right I forgot that detail.  And in my little fantasy world I've been living in lately, I have that as an upgrade on 'my' 15GO.  That being said, I still don't understand the use of the hand crank feed instead of a push feed.  Like I said, just curious.

JM

Jemclimber

The 15 and 28 are easily converted to power feed with the optional motor.  I'm glad I got the power feed for my 15.
lt15

zopi

the ten is push feed..15 and 28 are standard with hand crank..the power feed is either 12 or 1500 dollars....which to my military mind pays me to do alot of cranking..really..I do not consider the power feed to be all that great a buy...cranking is not that hard, it takes waaay more energy moving the logs around, and humping the lumber...unless of course you have some disability which makes a difference...carpal tunnel or whatnot..
the forty is power feed.

as to why they build them with a hand crank...money..production complexity..and at the end of the day, it is an entry level mill. I like the hand crank..not much there to break or go wrong...it iwll work when it is cold, I do not haveto worry about electrics, connections, fuses...blah blah..
Simplicity is the ultimate refinement. I think Da Vinci said that...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WDH

With my LT15, you can crank it or push it with your hand on the mast.  Six of one, half dozen the other.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

cypresskayaksllc

Have you ordered your logrite yet? Oh yeah, and your sharpener setter, and a tractor, trailer, truck, chainsaws, planer, molder, knuckleboom loader, debarker, dry kiln, firewood processor, and some extra help to run your second and third mill.  :D
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

samandothers

Dutchman
I understand where you are coming from.  I was able to visit Woodmizer recently.  I like the 15 and 28 as I wanted portable.  Then right now the 35 is $1500 off meaning it is 1K more that 28 and includes power feed and quick set.

Too many decisions....

54Dutchman

Quote from: cypresskayaksllc on March 28, 2012, 10:19:06 PM
Have you ordered your logrite yet? Oh yeah, and your sharpener setter, and a tractor, trailer, truck, chainsaws, planer, molder, knuckleboom loader, debarker, dry kiln, firewood processor, and some extra help to run your second and third mill.  :D

Logrite-no,tractor-check,trailer-to small,truck-have one picked out,chainsaw-one,planer-son in law's,molder-no,knuckleboom loader-no,debarker-no,dry kiln-plan to make,firewood processor-splitting axe,extra help-wait n'see.  ::) ::) ::)  looks like I got a long ways to go ;D ;D ;D

MotorSeven

Chainsaw...ONE????  good grief I am down to seven right now. You can't have just one saw...I think there is a law about that someplace :)

Get the Logrite, the things are awesome!
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

zopi

no lie...chainsaws are like clamps..can't have too many. lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!