iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidder tires

Started by brent373, April 03, 2012, 03:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brent373

Gooday all,

Im looking for some opinions/experiences with different brands of skidder tires. Im looking into a pair of 24.5 x 32's for a clark 667. I have nokians on at the moment, but they are prone to weather checking so I hear, as these ones are.. If anyone has some input on a good tire that will last I would greatly appreciate it. Im all for saving money, where possible, but when it comes to this type of buy, i believe in spending a little extra money to get a quality product.

bushmechanic

Forestry special's from Firestone are so good as your going to get.

rkultra

I do have to agree that the Firestone forestry special are very good but cost almost twice as much as a Primex at this point. I put a pair of Primex log stompers on my C-6 7 years ago and they have held up very well-no flats,wearing well and no weathering.
1993 Bell Super T,1989 John-Deere 548-D, Hahn 110B Short Wood Harvester,
Dolmar 7900, 7300,6100,5105

smwwoody

Firestone Forestry specials
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

treefarmer87

Firestones are really good. Primexs are good from what i have seen and they are cheaper.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Sunrise Farms

Has anyone had any experiences with Barum tires? I think that's how you spell it. I just got off the phone with a guy who said he was getting some in and quoted a pretty good price... But never heard of them
'84 timberjack 230a
'96 Woodmizer Lt40hdd40
Primero 8 forwarding trailer

lumberjack48

I would run nothing but Forestry Specials, and run 30 lbs of air, learned this the hard way.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

snowstorm

Quote from: Sunrise Farms on April 03, 2012, 11:18:37 AM
Has anyone had any experiences with Barum tires? I think that's how you spell it. I just got off the phone with a guy who said he was getting some in and quoted a pretty good price... But never heard of them
i had some back in the 80's i dont recall them standing up well.

Frickman

I run nothing but Firestones as well.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

brent373

Seems like the firestones are very popular, I have not looked into prince on them, but the primex ls was about 1900-2000 here in canada. Im scared to ask what the firestones will run. How to the primex's hold out in camparison ?

treefarmer87

my new c6 has primexs they seem to be good
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Andrew Lawrence

Brent   what year is your 667? winch, grapple, detriot, What's the scoop? If got an 83 667 In  northern Vt
Lawrence Lot Clearing Logging                            To God be the glory

BrothersMule

Firestone Forestry special are top of the line. Another brand you may consider is Samson. We have been selling them for over a year now and have not had any issues. They seem to be holding up well as we have sold several sets. Im not very familiar with the Primexs but would put them in the same catagory with the Samsons. Neither are as good as Firestone but still good tires. Not sure what cost difference would be on 24.5x32 but do know that we can sell the Samson for around $1000 less per tire than the Firestone in 30.5x32. Hope this helps.

tlandrum

firestone forestry specieals are the only tire ive ever seen outlast the skidder.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

boltbender

Welcome Brent 373.  I have a set of Primex 24.5 x 32's on a Franklin skidder that I am parting out.  They only have 110 hrs. on them if you are interested.  These tires worked in some rocky terrain and really held up well.  I also have them [different size] on my present skidder and I really like them and they are cheaper than Firestones which I believe are the very best.

barbender

Quote from: lumberjack48 on April 03, 2012, 12:55:47 PM
I would run nothing but Forestry Specials, and run 30 lbs of air, learned this the hard way.

Duane, what was the reason for 30 pounds? Sidewall failure?
Too many irons in the fire

Ed_K

35 lbs in mine,as I kept slipping the tire on the rim.But I think some of the problem was using radial tubes when I should have been using natural casings tubes.Since I changed tire co's Ihaven't had a problem.The 2 better tires are firestones.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!