iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Password Reset

Started by DeepWoods, April 05, 2012, 04:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeepWoods

Jeff, received this email and was wondering if it is legit?  It looks like it came from you but wasnt sure.  Didn't want to click on the link if it wasn't.  I am not having any problems with logging in, so didn't know why I received it.  Hope it isn't some type of phishing email

Dear DeepWoods,
This mail was sent because the 'forgot password' function has been applied to your account. To set a new password, click the following link:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=reminder;sa=setpassword;u=927;code=7ef0d8c788

IP: 69.80.101.149
Username: DeepWoods

Regards,
The The Forestry Forum Team.
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

celliott

I also received the same email, I am having no trouble logging in, and don't remember hitting the forgot password button.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Warbird

I contacted Jeff about this, this morning.  It happened to me too.  He'll be investigating and will let us know.

SwampDonkey

I got one this afternoon to.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Someone has been trying to guess passwords / get resets sent etc.

I've banned a couple of IP addresses to slow them down while Jeff is on the road.

I don't think it was a serious attack as they tried to reset my "admin" account, which of course gives the game away by sending me an email.  Could be someone experimenting with a hacking script, but it pretty amateur.

Let us know if you are still getting the messages and I can check and block them again.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

Mine came at 3:14 PM.  When I moved the arrow over the link, it read what the link said.  Whether I messed up or not ???  I reentered my password.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Yeah, I feel better MM, knowing I'm not the only one who actually did it.  :-[ I should have known better. For the record, when you click on the link, it takes you to a page that 100% looks like it is part of the FF.  Only thing is, I think it did not have the sponsors on the side. Can't remember for sure now, but it did have all the regular stuff up at the top including "In Memorium" and "Saw anywhere".

After I reset the password, i was actually in the FF, in fact I am still in that window now.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

DeepWoods

For whatever reason, I was logged off, not my doing, I reset my password using the link that indicated I was offline.  Realizing that I may have been redirected to somewhere other than The Forestry Forum, I logged off again and went in through the front door to the forum and again changed my password just to make sure I am secured.  I don't know how much damage one could do with my password, but no need taking any chances.
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

beenthere

I didn't re-enter my password.
And for sure, if the same password was used, then someone else may have it now.

But mine came at 1:09 pm
I opened it, but didn't do anything other than close it. I was still logged in on the Forum at the time.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I never did anything except delete the email, as I know I didn't send any request and figured it was a hack.

About a month ago I got something a little more sophisticated, only it was followed up by a phone call directing me to go to the email link to fix spam issues or something. Said I would loose internet by March 9th. I never followed the bait and I'm still here. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

I think the message is actually coming from the FF forum server, so it's "legit", and the link is correct in this case.

It's easy enough to generate it by simply entering some ones name, if it's another member, they get sent the link to THAT members email. So nothing is actually compromised, unless they already have access to your email.

This is what make me think it's a random sort of "probe", just to check if they can get some access to something.

Binning the email is the safest option. If you suspect you password is compromised, then go and change it while you still can, but it can always be reset by YOU, using the email function.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

It happened to me also.  I ignored it, and signed on as normal.  Like SD, I knew that I did not request it, so I assumed that someone was trying to access the Forum using my Username.  I thought about some of the real losers that have been banned and figured that someone was wanting to stir up trouble using my name. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Bizzy or no one else has enough Magic to be me, cause I changed my password again.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chevytaHOE5674

Got two of the reset emails this afternoon. I deleted them as I was still logged on to the forum at the time. I assumed it was a glitch or something.

beenthere

What is interesting is that somehow someone managed to latch onto our emails to send these out, or get the Forum to send them out.

It must have been a standard reply they accessed. But I'm not worried that any damage was done.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

I got a second message late last night.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Nothing way up here in Maine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doctorb

I got it too.  Tried to reset and could not.  Signed in like normal afterwards.  Maybe I should just rest my password for safety's sake.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

DR Buck

Must have been sent only to you guys that have way too much to say.   ;D ;D   I didn't get one.   ;)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

doctorb

OK  Where do I go to reset my password?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

RynSmith

Profile --> Account Settings.  :)

doctorb

WDH

Quote from: DR_Buck on April 06, 2012, 12:44:00 PM
Must have been sent only to you guys that have way too much to say.   ;D ;D   I didn't get one.   ;)

Sometimes the more loquacious garner the attention.  You have to keep your eye on those strong-silent types, DR_Buck  :P.

Jeff

Quote from: beenthere on April 06, 2012, 12:29:29 AM
What is interesting is that somehow someone managed to latch onto our emails to send these out, or get the Forum to send them out.

It must have been a standard reply they accessed. But I'm not worried that any damage was done.

No one's email address was compromised or obtained. Who ever this was, they were simply putting forum user names in the forgot password form and submitting it.  The forum would then send a password retrieval link to the email address of record of the member name submitted.  This all was happening while I was in route to my Sister's place in Florida. I rodr down with my niece at the request of my sister so I can drive one of their vehicles back to Michigan.  The forum was in good hands with Ianab and the other admins. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Jeff
That makes sense. They got the Forum to send them out.
Good to know no harm done to members.

Now hope your trip goes well, and you have a good tour of the south land.
south central Wisconsin