iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CB2300 end of season cleaning pictures (4/2012)

Started by ecrane99, April 15, 2012, 12:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ecrane99

4/2012 - Here are some pics of my stove after 4 seasons of use.  So far, I have had a fusion chamber replaced (under warranty) and a water level sensor go bad.
I have some cracking in the air channels which my dealer told me is ok.

Ed

doctorb

Could you tell me a little more about the water level sensor malfunction?  My stove has never needed water.  My sensor is a plastic tube with a water column in it that corresponds to the water level in the stove.  Recently I notice that it's gone down a bit.  When I purge it and check it, it climbs back up to where it's supposed to be.  Then, over time, it can fall again.  Thoughts?  No evidence of a leak in the system or stove.

Nice clean out.  I am still running my 2300, despite temps in the 80's today, for DHW.  Haven't had the heat on in the house for a few weeks now.  I'll shut down when the warm basement starts warming the house!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

ecrane99

Hi Doctor,
My water level sensor is behind the temp readout display on the side of the stove.  It is a plastic toggle switch with a float attached.  When the water level drops blow the sensor, the stove will shut off and read "ooo" where the temp is displayed. It will also emit a beeping sound.  In order to change it, one must drain enough water out so that it doesn't gush out when the old sensor is unscrewed.  My water level was fine, it was the plastic float that broke off the sensor causing a false alarm. 

Also..  This alarm can be bypassed by making a jumper wire.  That is what I had to do to get through the winter of 2010.  I changed it out with a new sensor last summer.  Job took me a couple hours and part cost about $35 bucks. Most of the time was spent getting the water PH etc back in check after the partial drain of system.

My water level has been stable in general.  I also have the clear tube on the back of the stove to check the level.  I do notice when the stove is operating the level is a bit higher than when stove is shut down during the summer. I have not had to ever add water other than after a flush.
Ed

dkfearon

can you tell me the steps you use and how you clean your 2300 at the end of the heating season

ecrane99

Quote from: dkfearon on April 18, 2012, 08:00:36 PM
can you tell me the steps you use and how you clean your 2300 at the end of the heating season

I wear a breathing resperator during these steps.

1) take out all remaining sizable pieces of wood.
2) remove upper soloenoid/tube and clean out creasote using a screwdriver.
3) Attach shop vac to the air inlet where the solennoid tube was (use a rag to make a tight fit).  Turn on to blow air into the air channels.
4) with the bypass open and the main stove door wide open, I get a small very hot fire to melt down creosote in the stove and air channels.
5) with the hi airflow from the shop vac it is very easy to tell if any parts of the air channel have blockage.
6) If air channel have any blockage, I shut off the vac, let the fire chill down abit.  I run a metal snake through the air channel to clear any blockage.
7) Turn the vac back on to get it hot again.  I start shoveling out the coals while scraping the main firebox where creoste has accumulated.
8) once the coals are gone and smoke has cleared, I get in there with a small scraper to get what ever creosote was unreachable with the shovel such as the corners.  It comes off easy since it is still warm.
9) I use a screwdriver to pry up the brick and grate from the floor. Inspect the parts and put away in my shed for the summer.
10) use the scraper to clean the goo that was under the bricks.   Inpect fusion chamber and firebox.
11) Clean up the main firebox door area and lubricate.
12) Using gloves, scoop out ash and clumps between chiminy and heat exchangers.
13) Use vacuum and scraper to make this area somewhat clean and free of any debis.
14) Remove and clean heat exchangers with brush supplied with stove.
15) Use scraper and wire bruch to clean all debris from by pass door.  Test with flashlight to make sure you can't see light when bypass is closed.
16) Clean reaction chamber with shovel and shopvac, scrape away creoste if there is any.  This area usually doesnt need much attention.
17) Clean air control box in rear and reinstall the top solenoid.
18) with all doors open, take a leaveblower to the stove to blast out whatever dust/ash/debris is still left inside.
19) Install moisture collectors in the reaction and main firebox.  Use a bucket to cap chiminey.
20) Take a long shower then take pictures and post to forestry forum.  Have a beer.
Ed

stumper

I like your method but would suggest you take step 20B and insert it it prior to step 1, at step 6 and step 13.

Doc.  If you do a saerch on water level sensor you should find my step by step post on how to replace.

I am also still running, frost on the windsheild this morning and hate the sound of the furnace burning money.  Must be nice to live in the way down south.

upsnake

Ecrane - What are you using a your moisture collector?

ecrane99

Quote from: upsnake on April 19, 2012, 08:35:58 AM
Ecrane - What are you using a your moisture collector?

I use damp away or any similar dehumidifier product.

Ed

upsnake

ecrane99

Quote from: stumper on April 19, 2012, 07:59:06 AM
I like your method but would suggest you take step 20B and insert it it prior to step 1, at step 6 and step 13.

Thanks for the suggestion Stumper.   I'll give it a try next season and report back.   :D
Ed

hockeyguy

My only suggestion is to insert the beer usage in around step 1A

DeerMeadowFarm

Do you guys unplug your circulator pump(s) for the off season?

doctorb

DeerMeadows-  I did that one year, and not the next.  Have not received a clear cut answer from anybody here or CB.

ecrane-  I just did my clean out today.  Headed for the fridge now.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

gspren

I shut down and cleaned out yesterday but I probably don't spend as much time cleaning as I should. Now I will grumble to myself when I hear the oil boiler kick on to make hot water, I hadn't heard that cursed sound since last year but when I came in from cleaning the OWB I needed a shower and when I steped out of the shower I could hear the oil being burnt >:(
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

stumper

You southern guys have me thinking about shutting down, but it will be a while for me.  Frost advisories where issued last night and now I have 4 days of cold rain forcast.  Maybe in a week or two.

Thank You Sponsors!