The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: MS 362 or 441???  (Read 26311 times)

Offline lumberjack48

• Senior Member x2
  • 36 yrs ago, cutting Ash saw logs
    • Share Post
Re: MS 362 or 441???
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2012, 03:18:51 PM »
CJ  wait on till all the leaves are out, then fall a bunch down. Then wait till the leaves are brown. The wood will be 50 % or more lighter. This is the quick way to get seasoned wood.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Online beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2012, 04:27:21 PM »
lumberjack48
Wouldn't it be great if it really worked that way.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline lumberjack48

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2012, 07:17:01 PM »
I peeled pulp 20 yrs, we learned that if we left it tree length with the top on it lost 50% of its weight. If we sawed the top off, it lost very little weight.
There was always Ash and other hardwood mixed in with the Aspen. So as we were cutting and peeling we'd drop the hardwood, and skid it for firewood as we skidded the Aspen in the fall. The Aspen and the hardwood got so hard it was like sawing up ironwood.
About a yr before i got hurt a friend of mine wanted a pickup load of seasoned birch. I told him i didn't have any, but i was cutting Birch saw bolts. If he could wait a month i'd have a couple loads. I skidded the Birch tree length with tops, by the landing i'd measure the saw bolts out and saw the top off. I left the rest of the tree lay on till they were brown, when i cut-em up the wood was pure white and feather light, i was todly unpressed myself.

beenthere if i hadn't done this over the yrs i certainly wouldn't just pull it out of thin air.  I know that burly, limbing Oak will lose a lot of weight by doing this. This spring go drop a tree, saw a block off so you know how heavy it is. Then leave it about 2 weeks, see if it lightened up any.  :o
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Offline CJ Porter

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2012, 07:33:16 PM »
Lumberjack,  I'm afraid most of these trees are dead or to far gone to leaf out. Most of our trees are already putting on leaves or even finished by now. It's pretty warm down here. 88 degrees for a high today. Lows have been in the 50s for a couple weeks.

Offline CJ Porter

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2012, 07:36:54 PM »
Not to mention live oaks are pretty much evergreen. They shed leaves in early spring and the new ones are coming out as the old ones fall.

Offline lumberjack48

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2012, 07:49:11 PM »
When the new leaves come out drop a few, let-em turn brown, give it a try.

Offline CJ Porter

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2012, 12:19:56 AM »
I think I have a tuning issue with the 362. It started cold no problem and if I killed it and immediately restarted it was fine, but if I killed it and let it sit for a few minutes it was hard to start. It ran well after it was started. It was pretty hot today (96).

Offline JohnG28

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2012, 09:17:59 AM »
I had this issue with my 361 a while back.  The saw would get very hot when running hard in hot weather and then would be hard to restart. I had the high setting out as far as I could with the limiter caps but could not fix the problem until I pulled the caps and trimmed off the limiters.  After that I adjusted the carbs high setting richer and haven't had an issue since.  ;D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Offline lumberjack48

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2012, 03:06:45 PM »
Usually you would open the low jet about a 1/4 turn to cure the problem. The way it sounds on here, these new saws are set to lean to start with. So be care full with the new saw in that kind of heat, its easy to walk out of a piston. Thats my slang for scoring a piston, a Stihl dealer recommended me to run 32:1, i had saws i'd ran 8 yrs with out a problem.

Good luck, stay cool and be safe

Offline CJ Porter

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2012, 09:35:51 PM »
Well I bought a 441 yesterday and hired another wood cutter today. Hopefully we are going to start cutting a lot of wood.

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2012, 01:03:35 AM »
Yes, you will. That was a fast upgrade. ;)
~Ron

Offline CJ Porter

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2012, 10:29:14 PM »
25 cords cut since Thursday. It's going to be hard for me to haul fast enough to keep up with my cutters. loaded 5 cords this afternoon. I haven't cut much with the 441 but my cutters say it is a wood eater. 

Online beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2012, 11:10:08 PM »
Good on the cutting.

Maybe that load gets by in TX, but doubt it would pass in WI.  ;)
Too much of a chance for pieces to fall off along the road/highway.

south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline CJ Porter

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2012, 10:54:14 PM »
I'm sure a trooper would have a thing or two to say about it, but we don't get hassled much around here. It's pretty stable loaded like that I drive down about ; miles of rough ranch road before I hit pavement so everything settles in pretty good.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter