iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

timber tongs

Started by chuck172, April 26, 2012, 07:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuck172

Anyone using timber tongs to help lifting wood to the splitter?
http://www.shopping.com/husqvarna-hand-held/MUd3QyFM-yy5dq0jXp2wcw==/info?sb=1

I'm a real sucker for anything to lighten the work load!

KBforester

I had a pair, but I didn't use them around the wood splitter. They might work ok depending on the size and bark... but generally they work better with longer, heavier piece of wood. They need the extra weight to set the points. But like I said, they might work fine depending on what type of wood your using.

I really need to find my pair... I lost them in the field doing firewood last year. I'll probably find them with the brush hog this summer  :-X
Trees are good.

DeerMeadowFarm

I use a pulp hook or a hay hook. It still requires both hands but saves my back a bit.

@KB - I hate it when I find stuff with my brush hog!  >:(

gspren

I have a set that is probably a cheaper brand and I needed to sharpen the points to make them work. I have the 8" and would like to get the 12" but that depends on how big of a chunk you want to lift.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

thurlow

My little brother loading my splitter;  by hooking the tongs in the ends, I can load a much bigger cut.

Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

beenthere

The tongs Chuck is referring to are not logging tongs (tho Thurlow's look similar to mine and did use them to load some large blocks onto the splitter - before deciding I didn't care for that much weight balanced that high above my toes :) )

I have that smaller hand tong that I find very helpful if cutting and loading 7-8' poles of 3-8" in diam in the woods. Similar to the site in Chucks link.
Once the poles are bucked up into firewood length, I don't find the tongs handy for loading the splitter.

What I do use now, are the Lockhart Firewood Gripper, sold through our sponsor Bailey's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3MB0-A2FEI
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thurlow

Well...........I knew the picture he posted didn't look like my LOGGING tongs, but I thought maybe it was just a regional difference in terms...........not familiar with timber tongs.  :-[
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

wheelinguy

That firewood gripper looks like it could save me some troubles around the splitter, probably be ordering one or two of those real quick! :)

sam-tip

I got have the husqvarna tongs.  I use the 12" the most.  The smaller ones are too small.  Really helps with the sore back.   Log tongs are a must have!   A back saver.   Just sharpen them a little.  With practice you can pickup a log and throw it.
Central Boiler E3200 WiFi
Many many ported chainsaws. 201 to 3120
TM log splitter pro30 6 way head
D&L 1020 swing blade sawmill for slabbing
Timberking 1220

John Mc

I have the 8" Husqvarna tongs (Oregon also sells similar tongs). I also have something similar to the Lockhart Firewood Gripper - same design, but different manufacturer (Bailey's sold them for a while).

The firewood gripper just doesn't work well for me. I can't get it to reliably grab the ends of the logs.

The 8" tongs are perfect. I do touch up the points from time to time -- sharp points make it much easier to grip the logs. It saves a lot of bending down when splitting. I can easily pick up it to  10" round wood, and often up to 12" (and yes, this is the 8" tongs). Any bigger than that, and I'm not going to be carrying that log around one-handed anyway (at least not the high-end hardwoods).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

r.man

KB you should be more optimistic in life. Rather than dwell on the idea of finding your tools with the brush hog you should be thinking more positive thoughts, like " maybe my tractor tire will find it for me ", or "maybe the Maple Leafs will be in the playoffs next year."  Keep up that positive energy.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

pinebugsrus

Gotta get me a pair of those tongs.....GO BRUINS!!  Well, maybe next year anyway.  Ill I have now is the hope that the Capitals crash and burn. :-\
Don't know what I wanna be when I grow up.  She says....GROW UP ALREADY!!

thecfarm

Pinebugrus,Labonville,about 20 minutes from me has them. We can go up and look at them. Don't cost to look. I have no idea if those would be the ones you want.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jtdcg

I use the 8" too,  find if they are not on my belt now my hand goes for the holster and comes up dry frequently.  I find they pick up plenty for me, not just using with splitter as much as other use during cutting, bucking, etc. Very handy for moving limbs, and poles around too. 

pinebugsrus

Quote from: thecfarm on May 02, 2012, 09:17:12 AM
Pinebugrus,Labonville,about 20 minutes from me has them. We can go up and look at them. Don't cost to look. I have no idea if those would be the ones you want.
Ray, is there a Labonville store in Farmington or is it the one in Mexico?  That's more than 20 minutes from you though, right?  Either way, that's a good excuse to get together and meet.  Let's do it after I get back from our son's graduation in PA, maybe Saturday, 5-12-12 if the're open weekends.  Those tongs will save my back and one of my sons will be off the hook for Fathers Day.
Don't know what I wanna be when I grow up.  She says....GROW UP ALREADY!!

thecfarm

That would be Farmington,Mexico is about 40 minutes. I was just in there today. The month of May they told me is 20% off. Yes,they are open both Sat and Sun. Let me know for sure about the 12th. You have my phone # I think. Sometimes I don't get on the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!