iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is this figure called?

Started by low_48, May 04, 2012, 12:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

low_48

Any idea of what this figure is called? This is walnut, but seems to look like the same figure as masur birch to me. I've cut 4 hard maples over the years, I have a 8/4 board of walnut that is just like this that I picked up at the local hardwood store, and have some ash that has a speckle pattern like this, but with less curl. On all of the maples, these little bark pockets are radial to the center of the log. A friend mailed these pictures to me today from a mill "out east". Anyone know what to call it? I've called the maples, masur maple because I once read that maples have that figure.

tyb525

Some would call it bird peck. I've cut poplar that looked very similar to that.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

isawlogs

It is called Birds Eye.  Very nice boards  8) 8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

You couldn't call it bird peck because it's random. I wouldn't call the walnut a birdseye because on the log it appears to be an inclusion.  Birdseye I've seen  in yellow birch,ash and of course hard maple. What your describing in the maple is not bark inclusion, but birdseye as well. There is no bark wood in the eyes. Masur birch is a grain pattern commonly found in Downy Birch and Silver Birch and is a type of bark inclusion. Have a look at Pasbuild's latest cabinet from hard maple birdseye and soft maple curly. There is no bark in the eyes.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Then what is it  ???     :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

low_48

The maple I have does have bark in the wood. It isn't as uniform as what I've seen in Masur Birch, but there are wiggles of bark throughout. I first came upon it looking for figured wood in the municipal dump. I could barely knock the bark off with a hammer in spring. Then I saw all those dimples in the log and understood why the bark didn't want to come off. I've worked with birds-eye maple a lot and didn't think this type of figure was the same. I did find pics of birds-eye logs and they do look similar. Having bark inside all of these dimples is what confused me. Thanks for all the help. I'll try to add a couple of pics of my maple over the weekend.

SwampDonkey

Yeah, if your saying there was bark in the maple, then it's not birdseye at all. I missed it in the first post. I've seen a mix of eye and burl wood, this will have bark. The main tree is eyed, but the burl growth is on the same tree, like near the base of the first log. I've seen lots of birdseye and have never seen bark in it unless it's sapwood near the bark as a log, but once sawed your slab wood is separate from the grade boards.

kderby

I hope the friend that sent you the photo is going to get some of the proceeds when that sells.  Wow!  It enters the realm of so rare there is no price that applies.  In the right hands that is going to be world class furniture.  It is almost too "busy" but in the right hands..... Oh My!

Part of the sawyers priviledge is to see lumber like that.

Wow!

KD :)

Dodgy Loner

That is incredible figure, and for marketing purposes, I think you would want to call that "birds-eye walnut", regardless of whether or not that name is technically correct. Calling it "walnut with bark inclusions" just doesn't have the same ring to it, and the overall effect of the figure is basically identical to birds-eye.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

That is awesome!  The sapwood really stands out with that figure.  I have never seen anything like that in walnut.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OneWithWood

I think I would simply call it 'high dollar walnut'.  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Dodgy Loner

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

SwampDonkey

What ever you want to call it, it's rare and expensive. ;D

Cypressstump

Call it money wood,, you should contact some of the exotic wood markerters on that wood. Amazing stuff there!
Stump
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Thank You Sponsors!