iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quartering Old Growth Douglas Fir.... with a Backhoe!

Started by kgbond, June 24, 2012, 09:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgbond

This weekend I thought I would share a challenge that I overcame with use of my backhoe. The utility company felled an old-grown douglas fir and left me a 12ft section. I didn't have the equipment large enough to haul the log, so I sectioned it into rounds and left this larger 6ft section to mill. The log was too big for the mill so I attempted to quarter the 6ft section. I started with the largest wedge I had and then had to go larger... Next weekend I will spit the wood once more, to quarter the log, and then mill the lumber. The wood is completely clear and will be used for interior flooring.

bandmiller2

Good show mate,theirs a tremendous force in the bucket curl,this is a good trick to remember. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

clww

+1
That's some good thinking, using the hydraulics to help split it. I've not seen that before, but I won't forget it! ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

coastlogger

nice piece of wood.Looks like you cut from one side with chainsaw? Did you consider cutting thru from other side with chainsaw to avoid having to use splitting force? Looks like it turned out great,particularly because the grain is so straight.
clgr

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

What the old timers would[no backhoe] do is start the crack like you did then make bigger wedges out of hardwood to open further,then chase the crack down the log. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!