iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fire Season

Started by wdtik, June 26, 2012, 12:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wdtik

Was working at the farm today---97 in the shade with a stiff 35mph breeze this afternoon and I happened to look up
and see a puff of smoke in the hills.. 30 minutes later I took this
photo.  Awfully early in the summer for this to start...My daughter and her family lives at the
base of that hill, they got out ok and their house has been spared so far, but some
homes were lost...

CBD--praying for some rain

customsawyer

I think it is going to be a tough year through out most of the west. Hope all make it out okay.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Thankfully you and your family have been spared.  Keep us posted.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

Quote from: customsawyer on June 26, 2012, 02:15:47 AM
I think it is going to be a tough year through out most of the west. ...

Until you move north of the 49th parallel.

Normally we'd be keeping an eye on the fire hazard ratings about now, trying to get a feel for what the summer would be like. This morning the rain gauge stood at 8" for the month of June. Right now it's at 9" plus. Since I started recording local rainfall in 1998, the highest total for June was 5" and the average was 3".

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

wdtik

Just a little new on the fire situation.  The kids home somehow made it through
a very intense fire storm this afternoon.  30-40mph winds gusting to 50, I was
sure the house burned watching the smoke pour out of there but I just heard that
everything is ok except for their bees. 

All afternoon I watched 7 helicopters racetrack water into
a wall of smoke against a ridgeline in high winds..nothing short of heroic
flying.   Not to mention several runs of slurry going down,  her place got painted
on all sides...there are fire units from all over the state coming to assist.  As
crazy as the world can be sometimes the worst of times brings out the best in people..

And finally, last winter they hired a local logger to do a hazard fuel reduction project
on their place...thats what really made the difference IMO

Brucer can send all the rain down here and we won't complain a bit..

DouginUtah

It seems that you don't hear much about the fires in Utah. For the record we have had over 400 fires this year and the fire season has barely started. Tens of thousands of acres have been burned. Dozens of homes have been destroyed.
No rain for several weeks and humidity in the single digits.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Migal

Nobody likes to see that!    Hope all goes well  Now rethinking how I would have loved to have a breeze tonight remind's me Watch what you wish for . or be more pacific Hope you are okay and everyone else too.
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Brucer

It's pretty bad in Colorado right now as well. Montana, Utah, and Colorado are all in the news in Canada.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

That Waldo Canyon fire is bad for sure:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wdtik

Good chance that this will be an epic fire season.   

This is a shot of the firestorm yesterday, the engine crews that were in there went into
retreat, too risky, they also thought the structures were already gone, visability was
nearly zero.

Went up for a look today, bleak but no structure losses--devine intervention-without a doubt.

The house in the center (circled) survived without any defense, no overhead no engine crew it was left to
burn, it was in the center of the first pic, which became much more intense as the wind picked up.
...firesafe construction and firewise landscaping..I'll get in when the evac is lifted and get
some better pics.  This is usefull info for doing salvage work....

Had a convoy of fire crews pass me on the highway tonight, mobile air control tower and
FS trucks headed east, 60 homes lost today in the Bull Mtns, the Lame Deer fire is at 110K
acres. 

Congress is going to get a wakeup call regarding forest management.

Tree Feller

Quote from: wdtik on June 27, 2012, 10:50:50 PMCongress is going to get a wakeup call regarding forest management.

Wishful thinking. The greenies don't even want to see logging in burned out forests. It's not about Spotted Owls or some blind salamander no one has eaver heard about or would ever miss if it were gone. It's about the environmentalists wanting to stop logging...all logging. They are loud, persistent, well-funded and have a sympathetic ear in Washington.

It's been known for years that the policy of inaction regarding forest management has helped create the current tinderbox that our forests have become.

Responsible management of our forests, both private and national would greatly reduce the fire hazard that currently exists.

And after all, trees ARE a renewable resource.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Thank You Sponsors!