iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lobster Info

Started by woodsteach, July 05, 2012, 02:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsteach

I heard on the radio a couple days ago that Maine lobster was being sold for way low prices. 

Do any of you folks know of a supplier that would ship a box to eastern Nebraska? 

Paul
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Norm

I read an article saying the same thing but found out they were talking about soft shell lobsters that don't ship well. I buy them occasionally so went and looked at what they were going for and it was pretty much the same price as always.

Here's who I've used in the past.

http://www.lobsters-online.com/

woodsteach

Thanks for the link and the information Norm.  I guess it is back to ribeys and fried chicken!!  I sure get tired of eating steak and hamburger.  ;D ;D

Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

WildDog

Reminds me last Friday afternoon trying to make my son jealous (he left home last year) I said, "we're having baked chicken tonight, :) he said, "sounds good" I said, "What are you eating?" he said, I buy King Crab each Friday :(
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

SwampDonkey

I think you'll find the same situation as here. The lobster fisherman may sell them cheaper on the wharf. But when the middle man is moving them lobsters it's business as usual.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kansas

Anyone ever cook those lobster tails you see in the store frozen, and does anyone ever grill them? A Dillons store has them (they are the same as Krogers) and I always wondered how they would grill up, and the method to do it. While at it, same thing about grilling crab legs that are frozen at the same store.

Mooseherder

The Crab should already be cooked so you just want to reheat them.
You can grill them on a pan that has some beer in it for steam.
You just don't want to over do them.
The cold water Lobster tails are easily grilled or steamed.
They are usually uncooked but cook quickly.
Steaming in beer works good also. :)
Keep them in a strainer basket above the boil.

sbishop

I picked up 50lbs of lobsters a few weeks ago for a little get together at the cabin......they were only $3.50lbs  8) but I know the captain ;)

sbishop

martyinmi

I get a similar deal on Jumbo Shrimp caught fresh when my best friend goes down to Gulfport MS a couple times/year. They are usually what ever they cost him from one of his old navy buds who captains a boat down there(2-3 bucks/lb). I typically have him bring me up between 40 and 80 lbs.
   Man, I'm gettin' hungry. We're having New York Strips tonight. Think I'll go and pre-heat the Kamado already!
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Norm

A couple of times a year the place I showed will but the jumbo lobsters on sale. I bought some 5lber's for our anniversary a few years ago. They were good but cracking the claws involved a really big hammer.

Kansas

Read an article about soft shell lobster being about 4.50 a pound. It said fishermen were being paid as low as 2.50 a pound.

I assumed when this thread started that soft shell lobster was a different species. Guess its not. Seems to me if you were having a party, could get a bunch of them next day aired and properly shipped, that would be some cheap eating.

SwampDonkey

Down at the ocean research station near St Andrews, they always had a big old lobster in one of the display windows. The displays were live fish of course with sea water. I think he died, but he was around a long time. There was also a wild seal that would come for years and they had a little spot he would navigate into a caged area. He was free to come and go, eventually he never made it back, but was an attraction for a long time as well.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

I heard the Lobster was going for 3.50 a pound off the boat.
The Lobster pound is probably paying these guys less than 3 per pound.
That's the price they were at 30 years ago!
I don't think they'll ship the soft shells because they're not hardy enough for it.
They're basically a local market.  That's why they're inexpensive.
When they molt like that there isn't much meat in the shell and are full 0f water.
Their bodies are hard at work making a harder shell.

drobertson

I have been surfing for some venison (grilled) recipes, but this lobster thing has me going all over again, Made a trip two years ago to portsmouth, made the trip north a few miles and gorged on some fresh lobster, since then I have monitored the market,  they claim to ship live anywhere, now it is friday evening, and I want some lobster (fresh) in the middle of the Ozarks, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

SwampDonkey

We had an unusually hot summer up here and a lobster processor complained he had to toss many lobsters because they did not arrive live. He said if they were not live, he would have no idea how long it laid about or spoiled.

Thank You Sponsors!