iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Pine this morning.....What's this?

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, July 25, 2012, 12:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have some Pine logs that are a year old on the ground. The bark is just now starting to release.

As I was moving this log to the mill, I stopped to strip off some of the bark I saw these little circles all over the log. Almost looks like dimples on a golf ball.  :)

I have no idea what caused this. Have not seen it on any other logs.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Hilltop366

Give it a toss and see if it will go farther than a regular log!

Ok really I don't know what the are but it looks like a worm or insect made them.

isawlogs

I would venture out here and saye it is pine beetle that has gotten into your logs, if there  still in there you will hear them chewing.  musteat_1
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Bogue Chitto

Magicman

Here is a LINK to a discussion about stuff in logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I'm thinking that if you were to scrape around in those holes that you would probably find a small hole going inward!

Pine beetles!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

boatman

Sawyer Beetles, two year life cycle.  Under the bark at first then they dive in and run the length. 

Woodsrover

bugdust

Dave,
I had the same signs in white pine and found big ole' white grubs balled up between the bark. They were huge and would be a large meal for a "grub eater."  steve_smiley
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

WDH

This is an easy one.  Those are the tracks of the dreaded Wood Octopus. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bogue Chitto

Quote from: bugdust on July 25, 2012, 09:36:11 PM
Dave,
I had the same signs in white pine and found big ole' white grubs balled up between the bark. They were huge and would be a large meal for a "grub eater."  steve_smiley
Good fishing bate. ;D

tcsmpsi

Quote from: WDH on July 25, 2012, 09:41:10 PM
This is an easy one.  Those are the tracks of the dreaded Wood Octopus.

When those beetles unfurl those curled up antennae, they are somewhat reminiscent of octopi.   :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Amelia Farms

I sawed a bunch of pine last winter that had been on the ground for about a year and a half. Most all of them had that and it was indeed some kind of beetle. My chickens came runnin everytime they heard me crank up the mill.
Woodmizer LT40, wish it was hydraulic.

customsawyer

David I think you might be slipping a little. There was room for lots of wise cracks and you said nothing. ;D ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Chuck White

I sawed a log for one of my brothers 2 years ago that had been on the ground about 2 years and it had so many beetles in it, that I didn't have to run the water/soap lube.  :o

The boards from that log looked like swiss cheese. ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: customsawyer on July 29, 2012, 05:36:50 PM
David I think you might be slipping a little. There was room for lots of wise cracks and you said nothing. ;D ;D

Oh....I saw an "open mic night" on this thread. I just couldn't bring myself to start commenting on Danny's Octopuss.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!